Trout help!

N
nxx10
Me and my buddies went out on a boat and we got two hits trolling that was it. Anyone have any pointers for next time to get my odds up.

F
FishFinger
What gear were you running?

H
hvacr1
nxx10 said:
Me and my buddies went out on a boat and we got two hits trolling that was it. Anyone have any pointers for next time to get my odds up.

Continue to do what you were doing and wait for conditions to improve. I don't know what you were using or technique but your story is not uncommon for today. But if I had to bring one technique to hagg it would be a dodger or flasher followed by a macks wedding ring.

S
seekanddestory
Used pink wedding rings

C
capblack
slow your presentation, the fish are lethargic this time of year

N
nxx10
FishFinger said:
What gear were you running?
Willow leaf blades with about a 18 inch leader to a pink rooster tail and also a Panther Martin

H
hvacr1
capblack said:
slow your presentation, the fish are lethargic this time of year

yeah that. Saw way to many people that looked like they were racing. I felt like I was gonna get lapped a few times. I see nothing wrong with what you were using its all personal preference when it comes to trolling for trout it all will work for the most part.

F
FishFinger
nxx10 said:
Willow leaf blades with about a 18 inch leader to a pink rooster tail and also a Panther Martin

As Capblack suggested a slower trolling speed is good advice.

You don't happen to know what the water temp was do you?

What type of willow blades did you run nickel or brass? I am a fan of using willow leaf gang troll gear myself.

What was the resident color of the water; ie green, stained, turbid ect.

Were you marking any fish, if so at what depth?

Another factor could well be the sudden advancement of a low pressure cell on Saturday, which has been theorized to put some fish off the bite.

I know 10 thousand questions... lol.

C
cpeaslee
Water temp was 44 degrees.

G
grampa ron
Switch to fly fishing with a nymph and indicator along the banks.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
Fish from the bank. We had our limit in 3 hours with a few broods. When the water warms up and the trout go deeper, then do some trolling and you should get more.

M
mikeee2362
Knot Fishing Sober said:
Fish from the bank. We had our limit in 3 hours with a few broods. When the water warms up and the trout go deeper, then do some trolling and you should get more.

What were you using KFS?

B
billfisher
N
nxx10
FishFinger said:
As Capblack suggested a slower trolling speed is good advice.

You don't happen to know what the water temp was do you?

What type of willow blades did you run nickel or brass? I am a fan of using willow leaf gang troll gear myself.

What was the resident color of the water; ie green, stained, turbid ect.

Were you marking any fish, if so at what depth?

Another factor could well be the sudden advancement of a low pressure cell on Saturday, which has been theorized to put some fish off the bite.

I know 10 thousand questions... lol.
Not sure if the water temp. Nickle blades. More of a green color but I'm not the best one to ask about that yes like ten feet all the way to the bottom at times. We were probably the fastest ones out there in the white and blue boat with a wake tower.

N
nxx10
Knot Fishing Sober said:
Well my buddie has a boat so that's why we did but we really used every thing from the boat power bait even

K
Knot Fishing Sober
A little of everything power bait, night crawlers, power eggs, mouse tails etc. Took a couple dozen casts with spinners but the fish only wanted bait. Here are some pics. Kids actually wanted to leave cause they were tired of reeling in fish. We gave about a dozen to the guys next to us and released the ones still lively in the basket. Brought home the biggest. Nice pink fillets. 20140301_151933(1).jpgopening day hagg 14.jpgopening day hagg 14-3.jpgopening day hagg 14-2.jpg

K
Knot Fishing Sober
nxx10 said:
Well my buddie has a boat so that's why we did but we really used every thing from the boat power bait even
For sure man I would have been in a boat too if I had one. My point was actually that even with a boat sometimes its better to fish the shore. When the temps are cold and bass are lethargic, the trout will circle lakes 5-20 feet from shore, especially when fresh stocked. Later in the season when bass are in the shallows the trout move to deeper darker water. Hagg doesn't have much oxygen bellow 30' so troll shallower than that. Good luck on your next trip!

N
nxx10
Knot Fishing Sober said:
For sure man I would have been in a boat too if I had one. My point was actually that even with a boat sometimes its better to fish the shore. When the temps are cold and bass are lethargic, the trout will circle lakes 5-20 feet from shore, especially when fresh stocked. Later in the season when bass are in the shallows the trout move to deeper darker water. Hagg doesn't have much oxygen bellow 30' so troll shallower than that. Good luck on your next trip!
Yeah we had a tough day many more to come this year.

B
bigboy70
haha KFS look at you go lol sounds like you did your research pretty well lol cause I know you aint no regular. Now that boat floats and drives we will have to get out there one of these days.

But my focus is going back to the big chrome for awhile the misses has to work weekends know so hit me up and we make a plan!

B
bigboy70
oh and nxx1o we were trolling usually shallow all the misses has on was a half ounce weight and ids say a 18in leader to a green wedding ring with the mystical nymph purple pro power bait. you can also tie your own and use a treble hook powerbait stays on that better be we didn't seem to have an issue well.... she didn't lol goood thing is i don't mind be showed up by my girl while fishing if i did i would never fish with her anymore lol