Trip to Portland in Sept 2014 - Any centerpin guides out there?

T
Texcobb99
Hi, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I come to Portland every year in September for a week for business. I would like to take a few days fishing the streams. I normally fish with a spinning reel\noodle rod combination, but will be fishing with a centerpin reel the remaining of the winter in the great lakes area. Does anyone know of any guides willing to put me on water for this scenario? I don't want to fly fish. I would rather wade small streams, but would be OK on a boat.

Thanks!

E
eugene1
Hey Tex,

That's a good time of year to target summer-run steelies in the area. Plus they love jigs under a bobber.

I'm not aware of any guides that pin around OR. Some folks do it on their own of course.

Best,

T
Texcobb99
Thanks!

Any reason you can think of why the centerpin isn't used more often in OR? Our streams near the great lakes are much smaller, yet the centerpin is gaining popularity fast. I would think the streams in OR would be better suited for CP fishing. Thanks for your help.

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you come in September and luck is with you, you might find the coho run on the Sandy River just what you are looking for. There are a couple of places to check out for wadable water. Oxbow Park for one and further up stream at Dodge park. There are some good guides on the river but I think they might be set in their ways. Ed Fast guides on the upper river where most of the wading action is. He uses a pontoon boat to get from on spot to the other and is open to you brining your own gear. I mention the Sandy because it is very close to Portland

T
todd_brooks
I was going to recommend Ed as well, even though I've been bashed for doing so here in the past. The thing that's cool and would work well for your proposes is that you don't fish from the boat, you just use it to get from spot to spot. As a Midwesterner you will see things that will have you wanting to move. Its a great time and Ed's game for any type of fishing you can think of. The center pin is gaining traction here as well, from what I can tell, but not catching fire by any means. Call Ed and have a conversation with him. If he's not your guy he'll tell you so and probably would have some valuable insight for you. Good Luck.

E
eugene1
I'm thinking that there is just some resistance to try something new? My buddy bought a pinner and sold it after not using it much, in fact he sold it from the OR craigslist to a guy in MI, I think? Sounded like it was hard to learn how to cast it. I know up in BC it's getting popular, so I think pinning would be a good technique all over the west coast.

Glad you got a couple more ideas, Ed Fast is always highly recommended and he can probably give you some insights even if he can't guide you.

Please let us know what you end up doing!

Best,