Winter steelhead fly fishing

S
SD_Angler
Hi all,
This is my first post on this website, and am looking for any advice or suggestions for a guided winter steelhead trip. A little about me: I am a South Dakota raised 23 year old (planning a trip with my older brother of 25) who is going to OSU for a Masters in Engineering. I am an avid trout fisher, and enjoy trips to the small mountain streams in the Black Hills of SD, as well as the larger waters in Montana. Coming to Oregon I have found myself with a slight addiction to fishing for the larger species. I can't say I have had much luck with steelhead since I have moved here in Sept 2014, but I have enjoyed every second of trying to figure them out. On a college budget it is somewhat difficult to manage the guided trips that are often necessary to understand how to fish for these steelies, so I have done the best with what I have.
After some time of saving the pennies, I am trying to plan for a guided fly-fishing trip this winter/fall that will hopefully teach me some tactics to target these steelhead. I managed to convince my brother to come with me (...not a very hard task), and we are looking for advice or suggestions on dates and guides that would be willing to take a couple greenhorns out for a day on the water. Thanks in advance for your time and advice, it is much appreciated!

Cody

BTW, We will be staying in Corvallis when the time comes, so the closer it is to Corvallis the better. But we are much more interested in the quality of guide and how much we can learn with a day on the water- so we will not shy away from travelling a fair distance either.

T
TimberTodd
Sending you a PM SD_Angler. Also welcome to OFF.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would suggest the Alsea. Close to Corvallis and fun to fish. I would bank fish and explore. Lots of nice water on the North Fork that you can get into some steelhead fairly easy. I'm not sure how you like to fly fish but float (indicator) fishing will be your most effective technique in a lot of places. There are areas you can swing but it sounds like you want to hook steelhead so... :lol: Good luck. Hopefully its a good run this winter.

J
JonT
I'd suggest Tom Larimer - the oracle of the two-handed rod and Pacific Northwest Steelhead (especially in winter).
He'll put you on fish close to Portland.

S
SandyChrome
Todd Harris. A top guide on the Nestucca for winters, he absolutely slays fish.

S
SD_Angler
Thank you all for your input and PM's! It's comforting to know there are people out there willing to help a fellow angler out!