Thread for coast salmon 2012

E
eugene1
If you don't want to make your own thread for reports, bragging, or sharing info, feel free to post up here!

Mainly bay/estuary salmon stuff.

I'll start with two days this past week of my favorite time of the year.

Reactions: mikeredding
E
eugene1
My folks were in town for a week and helped get the place cleaned up a bit. Last Wednesday, took my dad down to the Umpqua for salmon fishing and crabbing. We launched at Salmon harbor and went out to the jaws for the high tide. I was thinking about going to Reedsport but we wanted crab as well. About 2 minutes after getting our gear out my dad's rod buries and line is going out like crazy... FISH ON DAD!!!

He's getting on in years and can't get around too well, so I grab the rod and give it to him. I could tell it was a big nook and was worried he wouldn't be able to manage it.

One big run perpendicular to the boat, dad handles it well and brings it back. Still out of net shot.

Fish runs again, this time between another boat and their bait. I was thinking we're screwed the fish is going to get tangled in their stuff. Expected F bombs about fishing too close to the other boat, but they were super cool and reeled their gear in for us. We're good to go. We were getting pushed by the current into the South jetty rocks and the other boat said watch out for the rocks. THANKS! I got back on the kicker and got us out to the main channel.

Fish comes around and makes a turn around the boat, worried about cutting him off with the prop, but it's fine.

Dad is getting old and can't stand up in the swells, so he stays seated but the leader/flasher/bumper/rod is like 16 feet or more and the fish is staying well away from my boat. No prob, I pull out the extension handle on the net and hold it under the fish, dad drops the rod like a pro and the big nook is in the net bag!

One of my happiest moments getting the old man into a salt nook in my sled.

Messed around with untangling the fish and net, getting it tagged, and finally get it weighed and a pic. I was hoping for anything but I really wanted dad to get a 30+ since they are special.

The buck went 35" and 32#.

Good times with the man that got me into fishing in MN for bass and walleye and in the great lakes for salmon.

Payback time was awesome!

We didn't stop there even though I was entirely satisfied with the day already. We went outside the bar and landed two silvers and lost one other salmon (nook or silver I don't know). One of the silvers was huge like 15# or more? Fog rolled in and we hauled ass back into the bay with the rest of the fleet to get our 3 crab traps. Picked the biggest 12 crabs and met mom at the launch for the drive back to the EUG.

Life is good in OR.

E
eugene1
1st slaw trip of the year:

Wanted to take advantage of the abundant silver run this year so we went out to the slaw since the Ump bar was closed on Sunday to small boats. I prefer the Umpqua since the bar is closer to the launch even though it's a further drive for me. Never fished the ocean or bar of the Siuslaw but my buddy from the forum mikeredding was on site with some info for us.

We get fishing two hours before high tide and get the herring out. Trolled around for an hour or so before we got the first hook up. Small to medium silver didn't weigh her, weird thing is she was fin clipped. Didn't like the ocean conditions getting rougher while in the flat bottom river sled so we went to the jaws to fish. Buddy 1 hooks a big fish (nook). Plays with it for a little while but it busts us off. Ocean calms down so out we go for silvers again. Buddy 2 hooks another silver and it swims towards the boat fast. I was clearing another line and didn't realize it was near the boat. Fish gets leader into kicker prop and swims away.

Oh well we got one and had fun.

See you soon coast!

S
Santiam338
Fished the Umpqua Saturday and the Siuslaw Sunday.. 1 for 1 and 0 for 1 respectively..

IMG_3158.jpg

Reactions: eugene1
M
mikeredding
Let me start by saying Thanks for starting this thread.

We fished hard this weekend with positive results.
Total of about 24 hours on the water.
Too beat to type out the story so I will let the pictures talk for me!

C_Run
C_Run
Excellent and inspiring thread. Keep it going. I hope I can eventually make a contribution.

B
bran_man
Wow, I need to get a boat! :( nice fish so far guys! Making me drool and jealous ha ha

F
fishingprofessor
It's on.

Left Eugene yesterday at 10 for Salmon Harbor. Got my line in the choppy water about 12:30. Took off at three with a 25lb and a 17 lb and 12 8 to 10 inch hard shelled crab. I'll tell you, it is not that easy landing those nooks solo in pitching seas. Time to get out there if you can.

Reactions: rogerdodger and eugene1
Irishrover
Irishrover
Great thread! I enjoyed reading about you fishing with your Dad. My Dad and I fished together for years and the last 22 year were on our boat. He pasted away this June at 85. He fished until the end. My Mom still like to get out there and she like the chinook the best. I hope my sons take their old man fishing when I get to the point where I no longer can handle the boat. Irishrover Sr and Mom

009.jpg

A
alm21
Wow, way to rack'em and stack'em all!

M
mikeredding
E
eugene1
Good job everyone! Let's keep the fish coming.

E
eugene1
mikeredding said:
Does this surprise you JJ?

LOL, you're a machine mike! You should have got a bigger boat to get more people/rods to see if you can limit out a 5 person crew.

J
joem
mikeredding said:
Let me start by saying Thanks for starting this thread.

We fished hard this weekend with positive results.
Total of about 24 hours on the water.
Too beat to type out the story so I will let the pictures talk for me!

native silvers are illeagle this time of year and it looks like you got a few of them.

E
eugene1
joem said:
native silvers are illeagle this time of year and it looks like you got a few of them.

Please read your regs before posting incorrect info joe, open in the ocean last weekend. Go get them!

M
mikeredding
joem said:

Those are all ocean fish. It was too rough for cleaning out there so we took the pictures before gutting them inside the bay.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice fish guys!

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
LOL, you're a machine mike! You should have got a bigger boat to get more people/rods to see if you can limit out a 5 person crew.

Hopefully in a couple years I will be ready to trade up.
Gotta wear this one out first.

S
Steelyfishn
IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0084.jpgFished Saturday and Monday and found some biters... Boat was 1 for 1 Sat. and 3 for 3 Sun.

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
Does this surprise you JJ?

I am just jealous lol. Severely. You cleaned out the pond.