Sixes River special rules?…

RiverWalker
RiverWalker
Hello fellow anglers! First time poster here. I read lots on here and appreciate all you guys have shared to not only help the op but all of us too. I’ve never really felt the need to post questions until now..
Anyway, me and a couple buddies have only been salmon fishing a few years and have just recently stumbled upon the sixes. We floated it twice in two weeks and absolutely loved the water and scenery, the people were all nice, just the vibe of it all was on point. Until today that is.
My buddy and his daughter went today to check up on things and see scout some more for the weekend. After a while they dropped anchor out of the main channel, off by the bank and started running drifts through the run. Not long after, turned around to find two guys who claimed to be the land owners, yelling hateful remarks about them “snagging fish” and making claims that apparently, on the sixes you’re not allowed to anchor anywhere. That you apparently have to fish while moving, and that land owners, “since the rivers so small” they own the rights to the water, even below the high water mark!? This makes no sense to me and I’ve never heard of rules like this anywhere in Oregon. has anyone else??
I can’t believe how disrespectful people can be to innocent people out trying to enjoy their day. I guess I’m just asking for advice/info here cause it’s the next best thing to personally knowing someone who lives down there and can guide me in their ways down there. If these are the rules I’ll gladly follow them but I feel this was just a way of trying to push us new guys out of what they want to keep theirs. It really killed his spirits for the day and honestly, mine too about fishing that river. Mostly just because of the newfound confusion. and apparent misunderstanding? Maybe not? Any info is appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Tight lines

Last edited by a moderator:
G
gfisher2003
I'm not sure about having to fish while moving but the landowner was definitely wrong in ownership rights to the water as if you could float a boat down it counts as navigable water, which anyone can be on below the high water mark.

I have heard that in encounters like that the best move can be to just move along till you are out of sight of the angry people, as them calling the cops or shooting is a much bigger hassle than having to skip over a few holes.

Reactions: RiverWalker and Snopro
C_Run
C_Run
They were BS'ing and probably trying to move you out so that they could commence snagging themselves. Where were you on the river? There used to be a guy who would fire a rifle over peoples' heads down there so I have been told.

Reactions: RiverWalker
RiverWalker
RiverWalker
gfisher2003 said:
I'm not sure about having to fish while moving but the landowner was definitely wrong in ownership rights to the water as if you could float a boat down it counts as navigable water, which anyone can be on below the high water mark.

I have heard that in encounters like that the best move can be to just move along till you are out of sight of the angry people, as them calling the cops or shooting is a much bigger hassle than having to skip over a few holes.
My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the input. It’s tough to let people push you around like that but.. yes, much less hassle than getting shot lol.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Here is my understanding. Sixes is not considered a navigable river. Land ownership is to the middle of the river but does not include water. You can float and fish but if you anchor you are trespassing. I've never heard of anyone getting nasty like that recently but hardly anyone anchors and fishes when it's busy but when it's not busy people do as they please. @C_Run is right....its still called The Mean Man hole.

I'm very curious where you were.

Reactions: NKlamerus and RiverWalker
S
Snopro
It's been over 15 years. Suprised this hasn't been tested in court.

From Cohobolo's link above.

"According to a 2005 Oregon Attorney General opinion, on waterways that have not been determined to be state-owned, the public is allowed to use the surface of the waterway for any legal activity unless the waterway isn’t wide, deep or long enough for a boat to pass along it.

Additionally, the opinion states that if the waterway meets the above criteria, the public has the right to use the submerged and submersible land below the line of ordinary high water for water-dependent uses (such as swimming, boating and fishing), and "uses incidental to a water-dependent use such as camping when travelling a long distance and walking while fishing." In cases of emergency or if it is necessary to travel around a barrier, the public may temporarily go above the line of ordinary high water."

Has anyone been watching this story in the news?

River Rights story

Big difference is the Willamette has been declared navigable. I feel for the family and what they're trying to avoid, but what they've done isn't right either.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm starting to rethink this. Sixes has not been determined to be navigable which I thought meant you cannot anchor. However, that link says it's unclear on many waterways which I bet includes Elk and Sixes.

I'm going to have to ask a State Trooper next time I see one down there.

RiverWalker
RiverWalker
C_Run said:
They were BS'ing and probably trying to move you out so that they could commence snagging themselves. Where were you on the river? There used to be a guy who would fire a rifle over peoples' heads down there so I have been told.
jamisonace said:
Here is my understanding. Sixes is not considered a navigable river. Land ownership is to the middle of the river but does not include water. You can float and fish but if you anchor you are trespassing. I've never heard of anyone getting nasty like that recently but hardly anyone anchors and fishes when it's busy but when it's not busy people do as they please. @C_Run is right....its still called The Mean Man hole.

I'm very curious where you were.
Looking at the maps, I believe we were just about 1/4 mile under the Edson cr. Road. From what I read on @Cohobolo link, if the river is wide, deep and long enough for a boat to pass through, the public has the right to use the water and any submerged land below the high water mark. Which all definitely apply to the sixes. I just can’t believe the nastiness from fellow anglers. Even if that is the rule for that river, there’s other ways to get that across without being so hateful.

jamisonace
jamisonace
@RiverWalker I know exactly where you're talking about. Never had a problem there but I could see it happening. They are possessive of that bank.

It's all conjecture so far as to the rule. Make some calls and find out for sure. If you're right drop your anchor and fish away.

Were they fishing the deep hole at the rock on the right or the run on the left just downstream?

C
Cohobolo
In one north coast county, some landowners have tried to claim trespass when anglers anchored their boats in a river clearly covered by the Attorney General Opinion. The county deputies have consistently declined to take any action against the anglers, but have cited some landowners for harrassment. People have deeds that claim they "own" the land to the center of the stream, but if the river is navigable, and the AG opinion says all rivers that can be floated in a boat are, their deed is trumped by state ownership of the waterway.

Reactions: RiverWalker, rogerdodger, Snopro and 2 others
RiverWalker
RiverWalker
jamisonace said:
@RiverWalker I know exactly where you're talking about. Never had a problem there but I could see it happening. They are possessive of that bank.

It's all conjecture so far as to the rule. Make some calls and find out for sure. If you're right drop your anchor and fish away.

Were they fishing the deep hole at the rock on the right or the run on the left just downstream?
You’re right. With the rules being so vague on specific rivers, the move would be to make said calls and fish away. There or elsewhere.

The whole bank, from that flat with the big rock, down the run, into the tail out is the bank they were talking about, but when the richards came down crying my buddies were targeting the run.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yeah, screw them. They had the balls to do it because it was a guy and his daughter. I fished the same spot Friday with two other guys and they didn't say anything. Cowards.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You weren't 3 dudes in a black drift boat were you? Around November 9th I think?

RiverWalker
RiverWalker
jamisonace said:
Yeah, screw them. They had the balls to do it because it was a guy and his daughter. I fished the same spot Friday with two other guys and they didn't say anything. Cowards.
jamisonace said:
You weren't 3 dudes in a black drift boat were you? Around November 9th I think?
No we were 3 dudes in a stripped down alumaweld on the 28th. And yeah they didn’t come getting tough with us. Only when he went back with his friend in a back brace and his daughter🙄 shouldn’t need a mob with you to fish a river without being harassed.

jamisonace
jamisonace
RiverWalker said:
No we were 3 dudes in a stripped down alumaweld on the 28th. And yeah they didn’t come getting tough with us. Only when he went back with his friend in a back brace and his daughter🙄 shouldn’t need a mob with you to fish a river without being harassed.

I might have to ask which one of them was verbally abusing the cripple and his daughter next time I see them. The guy was up on his deck when we anchored in the hole and then walked away without a word.

Glad that wasn't you guys in the black drift boat. Those guys didn't have a clue about river etiquette and common courtesy. @C_Run and I were fishing below mid drift and they guys came by and cast just below our lines in the run we were fishing, got hung up and broke off right where we were fishing. Then moved on and anchored in the next decent hole with 3 or 4 other boats around that would have fished it too if they hadn't set up camp there.

RiverWalker
RiverWalker
If an established, sixes river fisherman, like yourself were to bring the issue up to these guys, and have a better possibility of having a civilized conversation about it, I’d have to ask you to how it goes. I couldn’t suggest it cause from what I heard, they sounded like some loons… But I’m actually very interested in their pov of the situation. Most don’t want to talk though. Just yell.
On the other hand.. black drift boat dudes.. sound like total morons and could be the exception haha. It’d be hard not to yell something at them. Jesus. No etiquette at all. Some people make you wonder how they even made it this far in life.