The First annual fish OFF...

A
ArcticAmoeba
I'll be there. I wouldn't miss a good campin trip, and some killer Koke huntin to boot!

18406ej
18406ej
I will happily sign a waiver to keep Apollo96's worries at bay. I look forward to meeting everyone.

F
FishSchooler
I just might be there...

Just a question because I havent fished with anyone here... How does a fisherman get to know another without just peppering them with questions? Im just a (wee) so er... I dont have (experience) with this (stuff) :rolleyes:

F
FishFinger
apollo96 said:
I do not know if any one of you have had experence on putting on any thing like a Derby or any thing that takes what it is going to take to do this... it is not as easy as one, two, three, go.... you are going to have to make agroupe and give it a name and incorperate it and get licens and insurance... because there is bound to be some one that will wont to sue you over a hang nail... a water wake on some one that is not even in the event un less you close the water ways down to every one out side of the Derby and how are you going to do that with out the fish and Game to run this for you....there is a lot to do and it take time for paper work... if they wont to they will hold up paper work for months on this .....this can take you a year to put things together... or even more.... please do not set a date to do this right now....do some good looking in on licens... food handlers cards, because of the BBQ you might need them....do not know for sure but check it out and you might have to get an attorney to draw up the rules and regs....

Have fun and do things right please:)

apollo first off, I appreciate your post, and I see the value of the concerns you mentioned. As this is our first venture as OFFers coming together for fun and festivities. The "rules" for the derby have yet to be totally ironed out, however a signed waver would have to be part of the registration protocol.

Foremost the event is meant to be an opportunity for folks to meet and compete in a manor unique to this forum. If you kick it around here for a while you'll see just what a great group of people gather here. I look forward to bringing as many of them together as we can come mid Aug.

Hey a pot luck is a great idea for after the derby perhaps.

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
When I was your age, and really trying to hone my Steelhead game, I found that simple questions, and quiet observation went a long way. Simple questions, like, "which seam do you prefer to fish?" and "how deep are those flats?" are good ones. Don't ask what works, where, and why. That's something that is truly different for everyone, and some of it takes pure rod hours to figure out. The quiet observation was my biggest help...I would sit and watch people who were regularly hooking fish. From there I just simply imitated, and adapted. I rigged as best I could to try to mimic the rig that caught fish that day...Sometimes I too would get one on the rig I just saw another guy get hits on. But as far as the Detroit Floatilla goes, I think this is going to be more of a social event, rather than a "fishing trip," although we will do a ton of fashin!

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
When I was your age, and really trying to hone my Steelhead game, I found that simple questions, and quiet observation went a long way. Simple questions, like, "which seam do you prefer to fish?" and "how deep are those flats?" are good ones. Don't ask what works, where, and why. That's something that is truly different for everyone, and some of it takes pure rod hours to figure out. The quiet observation was my biggest help...I would sit and watch people who were regularly hooking fish. From there I just simply imitated, and adapted. I rigged as best I could to try to mimic the rig that caught fish that day...Sometimes I too would get one on the rig I just saw another guy get hits on. But as far as the Detroit Floatilla goes, I think this is going to be more of a social event, rather than a "fishing trip," although we will do a ton of fashin!

But I dont really get to watch other people often............... this is my only good source of info..... And those rod hours will come in too long...

C
Commodore S
FishSchooler said:
But I dont really get to watch other people often............... this is my only good source of info..... And those rod hours will come in too long...

Patience Grasshopper, Patience.Schooler,you make it to detroit and I'll have a open seat for ya. K.?

F
Fishydog
Oh man I'm going to miss it! :mad: The wife is going to be popping out another puppy a couple weeks before, and yes I know I could bring the new kid but I wouldn't get any fishing in(well I could but I wouldn't have a place to sleep when I got back :rolleyes:) I did take the first kid camping when he was 7 weeks old and I'm sure I take the next one but no fishing :naughty: It would be so sweet trolling with you guys(& gals) like a biker gang on the water :cool: Oh well maybe next years derby :pray: Catch one for me.

F
FishSchooler
Commodore S said:
Patience Grasshopper, Patience.Schooler,you make it to detroit and I'll have a open seat for ya. K.?

Open seat as in a free camp site or as in a seat in the boat?
Things sound good for sunday. I started my persuasive "speech" with my mom and it started as a out of question, then no, then maybe
on another day, then I will talk to your dad about that. :cool:

C
Commodore S
FishSchooler said:
Open seat as in a free camp site or as in a seat in the boat?
Things sound good for sunday. I started my persuasive "speech" with my mom and it started as a out of question, then no, then maybe
on another day, then I will talk to your dad about that. :cool:

Boat, my camp site is full. Hope to see ya!!

F
FishFinger
FishScholer, little buddy; you have 7 months to butter up your folks,be good and I'm sure they will reward you. Don't worry about having to reserve a site immediately. All the camp grounds on the south side of the lake, off Blowout Rd. are first come first serve. The cost is $16 per night. Additional vehicles are an extra $5. There is enough room to pitch two large tents per site. Cove Creek has always been one of my favorte camp sites.

As the Fish OFF gets closer arrangement can be made with those how arrive early to hold sites till the other members arrive. Just like we do on the forum, we'll help each other out.

Troutski
Troutski
Confirmation letter...

Confirmation letter...

I got my confirmation letter today in the mail, anyone else have a confirmed site?....I can feel the excitement starting to well up in the pit of my stomach...:clap: This gonna be fun....

Chuck

C
Commodore S
Troutski said:
I got my confirmation letter today in the mail, anyone else have a confirmed site?....I can feel the excitement starting to well up in the pit of my stomach...:clap: This gonna be fun....

Chuck

Got mine also, D-25, C,mon 8-14-09.This is gonna be a great weekend. I've added a new minn-kota and another cannon downrigger.:dance: Poor lil kokes aren't gonna have a chance:shock:. 800+ members we could own those lakes. So c'mon OFF'ers make those reservations.

F
FishSchooler
Commodore S said:
Got mine also, D-25, C,mon 8-14-09.This is gonna be a great weekend. I've added a new minn-kota and another cannon downrigger.:dance: Poor lil kokes aren't gonna have a chance:shock:. 800+ members we could own those lakes. So c'mon OFF'ers make those reservations.

Lets all donate some 50-100 bucks to buy them out. :cool:

F
FishFinger
After much hate and discontent, the states server finally gave up the pdf files confirming reservations....

It's offical I have secured B7, B8, & B26 and I have the paper work in hand (well in a secure, undisclosed location. perhaps Dick Cheney's former bunker.)

Troutski
Troutski
Remember...

Remember...

FishFinger said:
After much hate and discontent, the states server finally gave up the pdf files confirming reservations....

It's offical I have secured B7, B8, & B26 and I have the paper work in hand (well in a secure, undisclosed location. perhaps Dick Cheney's former bunker.)

He is a very good shot.....;) You might want to call first before you go to retrieve them.:rolleyes:

Chuck

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Rofl... Every time I'm reminded of that I hear this Aerosmith song.. "Cheney's got a gun.. da da da da" every heard it like that? :lol::lol:

As far as the git-together I am DOWN! I will say that the time it is scheduled to take place is VERY far off for me as I have no idea where I will be come the time. If I'm in Oregon and can afford it, I won't be a partying just for me! Woooo!... :dance::dance:

As far as the legal stuff goes.. First and foremost would be disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer.

Second, I did some snooping around:

--------------------

Chapter 183 Oregon Laws 2001

AN ACT

HB 3486

Relating to fishing derbies; and declaring an emergency.

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:

SECTION 1. Section 2 of this 2001 Act is added to and made a part of ORS chapter 704.

SECTION 2. (1) For the purposes of this section, “fishing derby” or “derby” means a multiday, multistate angling event held in Oregon as a fund-raiser.

(2).....

-----------

Chapter 186 Oregon Laws 2001

AN ACT

HB 2285

SECTION 2. ORS 498.286 is amended to read:

498.286. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section and ORS 498.279 [and 498.284], no person shall conduct, sponsor or participate in any competition or contest in which any prize of a retail value of more than $1,000 is offered for the amount, quality, size, weight or other physical characteristic of game fish taken.

(2) When a prize is offered that exceeds $1,000 for the amount, quality, size, weight or other physical characteristic of a game fish taken, the State Fish and Wildlife Commission, by rule, may limit the number of contests and participants, determine the location of [such] contests and prescribe [such] other terms and conditions regarding the conduct of [such] contests [as the commission determines necessary to protect wildlife resources and ensure an orderly fishery].

----------------

498.400 Definitions for ORS 498.400 to 498.464. As used in ORS 498.400 to 498.464, unless the context requires otherwise:

(1) “Advertise” means to make public distribution by any means of communication any material relating to the sale of membership in an outdoor club.

(2) “Outdoor club” means a business entity organized for profit that:

(a) Conducts, or under whose authority is conducted, hunting or angling or both hunting and angling activities exclusively for its members and their guests; and

(b) Engages in promotional plan activities for the sale of membership in such club.

(3) “Promotional plan” includes, but is not limited to advertising. [1973 c.749 §2]

498.405 [Repealed by 1973 c.723 §130]

498.406 License to operate certain outdoor clubs required; promotional activities for sale of membership without license prohibited. (1) Except as provided in ORS 498.412, no person shall operate an outdoor club unless the person has a valid license for such operation issued by the State Fish and Wildlife Commission, if the outdoor club activities are to be conducted on land that is leased from the owners thereof and if:

(a) The members of the club are not parties to the lease; and

(b) The members of the club do not have any financial or proprietary interest in the club.

(2) No person required by subsection (1) of this section to obtain a license to operate an outdoor club shall engage in promotional plan activities for the sale of membership in the outdoor club unless the person first obtains the license. [1973 c.749 §3]

----------

So, as far as I can tell we are clear from any requirements so long as we as group do not pose any unusual threat to the safety of the wildlife or public. Even then, it appeared only applicable to an event or activity legally registered with the Coast Guard.

If I might take a step further towards the fun factor it seems we could even pool a bit of money together and give out some prizes! However, I only looked around for a few minutes but I'm sure there is something out there that would prohibit this, and I doubt anyone really wants to put that much risk and stress into it. Personally doing nothing but fishing and drinking beer for three days STRAIGHT would probably still be remembered as a good time even if I got robbed let alone won money!!

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
Thanks GZ for your due diligence. I concur nothing about our "fish OFF" prevents us a group from holding this social event.

We are not a club with membership, dues, nor are we for profit, our event isn't multi state nor a fundraiser.

Without question, a waiver is a must as part of the registration process.

Now prize monies... This is one topic yet to be fully explored. I think a little gambling would be a fun addition. so as not to run a foul of the laws we'll have to be sure no prize exceed $1,000.00. Not an issue I think we'll have trouble with.

We need to throw the prize idea around as a group and reach a consensus among participants.

The serous gambling can occur with a deck of cards after the sun has gone down.

True enough we are getting ahead of the curve by establishing a date well in advance. Had we not done so the opportunity to reserve camp sites would have disappeared, perhaps as early as 6 months in advance. aside for the FCFS campgrounds that is.

I hope you can make it GZ If we have half as much fun as we did kibitzing @ Red hills, this will be a smashing success!

Troutski
Troutski
Oh the stories....

Oh the stories....

FishFinger said:
Thanks GZ for your due diligence. I concur nothing about our "fish OFF" prevents us a group from holding this social event.

We are not a club with membership, dues, nor are we for profit, our event isn't multi state nor a fundraiser.

Without question, a waiver is a must as part of the registration process.

Now prize monies... This is one topic yet to be fully explored. I think a little gambling would be a fun addition. so as not to run a foul of the laws we'll have to be sure no prize exceed $1,000.00. Not an issue I think we'll have trouble with.

We need to throw the prize idea around as a group and reach a consensus among participants.

The serous gambling can occur with a deck of cards after the sun has gone down.

True enough we are getting ahead of the curve by establishing a date well in advance. Had we not done so the opportunity to reserve camp sites would have disappeared, perhaps as early as 6 months in advance. aside for the FCFS campgrounds that is.

I hope you can make it GZ If we have half as much fun as we did kibitzing @ Red hills, this will be a smashing success!

Oh the memories............I can still see Anatoliy laughing so hard I thought would pass out from lack of oxygen... This has the makings of a very fun time for all concerned...thanks for all your help FishFinger :dance: :clap: :clap:

Chuck

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
He He He!!!!!

He He He!!!!!

You have all been spared an unmerciful pounding at the hands of a five year old (my son murders fish in those lakes) by the inept scheduleing by my employer:mad: He has uncarichteristicaly got his poop in a group and made our work schedules a year in advance. That said I live but a few minutes away and offer my services such as they are if any local running around needs to be done in advance, or during. If you need anything just holler...Might possibly chip in on some prizes if yall want too.