SW Portland bass fishing

Y
YoungWig
Fellas,

First time poster...

I live in SW Portland and am looking to start getting back into bass fishing, Bank and Kayak fishing. Anyone know of any good areas to check out withing a 30 min drive. I know of Willamette Park and the Tualatin River. Any other spots or tips on whats working as of late.

Thanks,

YoungWig

Last edited by a moderator:
H
handmethewrench
I have had some really good days on the Multnomah channel, as well as the Gilber river os Sauvie Island. A kayak is perfect for those spots. Be on the lookout of course because you are sharing the water with large vessels. I was in a canoe and kill'ed on the channel using tubes and other soft baits. We had been plunking for Springers last year then decided to actually catch some fish. The Gilbert river is awesome, it took us about 6 hours to go to sturgeon lake and back. We caught bass and walleye, some folks catch catfish in there too. The scenery is great, some jerks around but they are easy to avoid.

Y
YoungWig
Thanks for the info. If I don't go Salmon fishing I might go down and work the banks of the Willamette for some Bass. Either just up river from Cathedral park or down by Willamette Park. Have you been out to Smith and Bybee lakes lately? When I was a kid my dad and I used to kill them out there but that was before they broke the levy to make it more of a "wet land". I might go there once I get my Kayak.

D
DrTheopolis
YoungWig said:
Have you been out to Smith and Bybee lakes lately?

Not this year, and I've never fished it. But I have ridden my bike through there the last few years, and in the spring when the water warms a bit, I often see people schlepping kayaks (they have a kind of trail/crummy launch for kayaks from the end of the parking lot) and fishing poles down.

Y
YoungWig
YA there are a few different places that you can launch there. Might have to try it out. There used to be big bass out there. my dad caught a 7 lber. I'd imagine that they are still out there somewhere?

D
DrTheopolis
YoungWig said:
YA there are a few different places that you can launch there.

I haven't explored it that much, but since Metro did the Metro thing (knew best for everyone), there isn't much in the way of getting to and from the lakes.

And I'd guess a lightly fished big body of water has some fish. Give it a try.