Fishing advice and/or buddy in the Eugene/Springfield area?

D
dcolehenry
Hey all! New member, first time posting here. After years of living and fishing in the Portland and surrounding areas, I've now been in Eugene for 2. I've dabbled a bit in trout fishing around here (Alton Baker, Dorena, Pisgah), but am lacking in local knowledge. I'm used to trolling for salmon on the Willamette in PDX, I've caught countless sturgeon around there, but find myself without a friend who has a boat or at least the local know-how. I do have all my own gear for everything from fly fishing (although I'm no good) to bobber-doggin' and jetty fishing. I know most fishing has slowed way down by now, but I don't care and I need to get out there! The cold does not phase me. So, anyone have a boat with an extra seat? Or just heading out somewhere obscure to shore fish and need a pal? Need someone to fill out a charter boat? Have any tips on where I can at least attempt to try to poke a steelhead around here? Are you an old-timer who wouldn't mind passing down some knowledge to a 30-something young buck who can help haul your gear? Let me know! I'm not a total nut case, I get along with pretty much everyone, I don't do hard drugs, and I absolutely love to fish. I'm also self-employed so my schedule is VERY flexible for lastminute trips. Tight lines everyone!

PS- Any tips on fishing Clearwater Park?

Cheers,

Darren

jamisonace
jamisonace
Clearwater is not that good but a great place is off Harvest Lane on the McKenzie. Park at the 90 degree turn towards the ramp and find the trails to the river. Fly fishing is good to great there. Lots of bank to walk. Best in Spring.

Reactions: FairweatherFisher, dcolehenry and troutdude
hobster
hobster
I would focus on steelhead fishing this time of year. The Siuslaw and Alsea are the closest rivers to Eugene that have winter steelhead, the runs are just getting started and should last through late February early March. Takes me a little over a half hour to get to the Siuslaw from Eugeneđź‘Ť

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude and dcolehenry
troutdude
troutdude
@dcolehenry Welcome to OFF! Those two members up above, have their finger on the pulse.

Good luck, tight lines, and let us know how you fare.

P.S. Get a copy of Jed Davis's book Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout. It's Oregon's Bible of spinner fishing. Written by an Oregonian for Oregonians.

1671576517883.png

Reactions: FairweatherFisher and dcolehenry
troutdude
troutdude
Also highly recommend this classic as well.

With spinners and spoons you can pretty much fish most pockets and pools. So you're covering lots of water.

Note: if you don't lose some on every trip, you're not likely getting them into the strike zone.

1671576748285.png

Reactions: dcolehenry
Troutski
Troutski
Great ideas guys, I do prefer the Willy above Lookout Point for Great Trout angling. Fall and Winter angling are the best due to low pressure, I prefer lures to flies but when it comes to Trout I will wet a line. Cold water does mean a slower retrieve but do to a higher water volume its almost a wash. I like spoons and spinners this time of year, 1/4 oz seems to be the perfect weight. Kastmaster's and Lil Cleo's, dark lures on dark days and bright lures on bright days
Tight lines and be safe on the water....

Chuck

Reactions: hobster, troutdude and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Troutski said:
Great ideas guys, I do prefer the Willy above Lookout Point for Great Trout angling. Fall and Winter angling are the best due to low pressure, I prefer lures to flies but when it comes to Trout I will wet a line. Cold water does mean a slower retrieve but do to a higher water volume its almost a wash. I like spoons and spinners this time of year, 1/4 oz seems to be the perfect weight. Kastmaster's and Lil Cleo's, dark lures on dark days and bright lures on bright days
Tight lines and be safe on the water....

Chuck
Have you ever floated it? I've been tempted but I'd like to talk to someone that has first.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Are you "cold water" species only?

I fish mostly for bass, other than trout at Alton Baker, feel free to shoot me a message

Troutski
Troutski
jamisonace said:
Have you ever floated it? I've been tempted but I'd like to talk to someone that has first.
No, I’d love to.. I know people that put in just below West-fir..