Sunk my boat today

H
Hendo30
as everyone has stated, glad you and your fellow boaters are ok and hop to here that you can retrieve some of your stuff and boat. Very easy for us all to not be having this conversation or a much sadder one. Very thankful everyone is ok.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've learned a few things from this experience so I'll share and hopefully someone else can glean from this experience as well.

1. Losing a boat and gear is nowhere near as important as losing a life. Forget the boat and get everyone safe as quickly as possible.
2. Insure your boat and make sure your insurance covers everything in it as well. The boat and motor I figure are worth about 7k but I had over $2,500 in gear in there. I never would have thought I had that much until I sat down and added it all up. Fortunately I'm fully insured on that end.
3. Don't let beginners learn how to row in your drift boat. You might need to be a bit of a jerk but its not worth it.
4. If you are going to be outnumbered in your kid to adult ratio....be sure at least one adult is wearing a life vest and knows they need to stay in the water until all kids are accounted for.
5. Thank God every day you get off the water and live to tell about it!

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Jami- Have you considered calling Eugene/Springfield Fire and Life Safety? I used to work there and I know that they are often looking for water training exercises. Just a thought.

Good luck with the retrieval,

EJ

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for that. If it turns out to be more of a job than we can easily handle, I will call them.

18406ej said:
Jami- Have you considered calling Eugene/Springfield Fire and Life Safety? I used to work there and I know that they are often looking for water training exercises. Just a thought.

EJ

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
18406ej said:

EJ

Great addition. An old boyfriend of my sister's fell free climbing and shattered both ankles. He spent 20 hours on the mountain and ultimately had to climb down and meet the rescuers halfway after declining an air rescue because he didn't want to deal with the financial fallout :rolleyes:. After the the rescue, he learned the National Guard would have air lifted him out for the training. Because of the time spent on the mountain and the extra damage incurred from having to climb out himself he suffered that injury for years.

So as a lesson to all:

Always consider the possibility that you (yes, YOU) can suffer a tragedy just as easily as the next guy. And if you do find yourself in that type of situation consider that there are alternatives to "contract" rescue services.

Again Jami, I'm glad everyone is OK. That's a scary river to get dropped into.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
I appreciate the outpouring of concern and all the offers to help. I spent some time looking for it over weekend and the water is just too high and off color. I need it to drop a couple feet and it will be easy to see unless I can snag a bow line or anchor rope before that.

Anyway, when I find it I'll let everyone know and who ever wants to help yard it out can join the party.

Thanks everyone.....stay tuned.

Ouch ouch ouch!! Gives me the chills and bitteflies... my hairs are standing up!! I don't live too far, so i will play close attention to that stretch of river and maybe even tlel my buddy bill about it then we will float and go look!! Glad you, and everyone is okay!! So sorry bout the gear and drifter tho =/ Def was a fish slayer... I am gunna go out right now and see if i can find anything... it gets me wonderin! If i see any gearm i will grab it and give you a call. i will also post this on my Facebook page to let others know about the losss, and if they find anything i will have them call and i will pick it up and call you and bring it to you! Off to go on a scouting trip, i wanan find your stuff for you! :( I don't own a drifter... but if i were to lose one,... i would be a dead man standing/ working/ wondering.... Hope you can find your stuff.,

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
rippin fish lips said:
....i will also post this on my Facebook page to let others know about the losss, and if they find anything i will have them call and i will pick it up and call you and bring it to you...

Did the same!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
So far, including myself, I have a couple people on Facebook ready to come down when you find the tow line. Keep us posted.

R
rippin fish lips
GraphiteZen said:
So far, including myself, I have a couple people on Facebook ready to come down when you find the tow line. Keep us posted.

I also have a few people in mind that are more then willing to help look and retreive it. We def need the slower lower water. Got a buddy headin out on wednesday to go give it a look. Told him to call me if he finds anything, gunna try to go down with him to.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
rippin fish lips said:
I also have a few people in mind that are more then willing to help look and retreive it. We def need the slower lower water. Got a buddy headin out on wednesday to go give it a look. Told him to call me if he finds anything, gunna try to go down with him to.

Good work.

I would suggest we come up with a Jamison approved plan if the two rope is indeed found with him NOT present.

Jamie, your thoughts?

R
rippin fish lips
GraphiteZen said:
Good work.

I would suggest we come up with a Jamison approved plan if the two rope is indeed found with him NOT present.

Jamie, your thoughts?

That sounds like a plan to me!! Yeah, Jamie what are your thoughts on this one?

E
eugene1
Me and a buddy were out there today helping Jamie look for the boat. He was in another boat looking for it as well. We found a piece of his boat and I'll leave the rest for Jamie to tell if he wants. If you do see his boat out there I'd get a good location fix for it and give him a call, he left his number on the first post.

I think it'll be found in deep or fast water and trying to bring it to shore will be problematic, so at least be careful! The other possibility is that it drifted below the I5 bridge and some farmer may find it in Harrisburg?

What a sad situation for a boat owner,

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
A buddy had this advice to offer:

Pack a come-along and extra rope when you find it... or innertubes. They work good. Tie it off to a tree or rock upstream on the side you want to get it to with a stout line, then go out over it and tie off a couple inner tubes (deflated) or bumper balls (the big red kind) as close as you can to the boat... let the drag and lift do the work for you, and when it gets off the bottom it should swing right in to shore.

That or just hook the bumper balls up on a caribener on a long line from upstream, so the current will carry the balls down the line to the boat, then the balls will pull straight up on the bow of the boat using the current. Again, soon as the boat's off the bottom, it'll be easy to maneuver to shore w/ a hand line w/ a caribener on it sliding down that mainline. May take a couple or three bumper balls (or innertubes, but make sure to use wide, soft rope and tie several spots on the tube so you don't pinch it too bad) but it'll come. The aluminum hull doesn't hardly weigh anything under water, so it's all about overcoming the suction and drag.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
eugene1 said:
Me and a buddy were out there today helping Jamie look for the boat. He was in another boat looking for it as well. We found a piece of his boat and I'll leave the rest for Jamie to tell if he wants. If you do see his boat out there I'd get a good location fix for it and give him a call, he left his number on the first post.

I think it'll be found in deep or fast water and trying to bring it to shore will be problematic, so at least be careful! The other possibility is that it drifted below the I5 bridge and some farmer may find it in Harrisburg?

What a sad situation for a boat owner,

I would imagine it's going to be somewhat of a complicated operation to get the boat in when the line is found. I am leaning towards contacting the Eugene Fire Department Swiftwater Rescue guys to see if they want to make this as positive a turnout a possible and use it for a training exercise. That is a GREAT idea.

S
steel Head
GraphiteZen said:
I would imagine it's going to be somewhat of a complicated operation to get the boat in when the line is found. I am leaning towards contacting the Eugene Fire Department Swiftwater Rescue guys to see if they want to make this as positive a turnout a possible and use it for a training exercise. That is a GREAT idea.

Also try the U.S.Coast Guard i used to be a coastie and we loved when things like this came around for training purposes. Its great training and you should get your boat back.

E
eugene1
GraphiteZen said:

I think the last thing Jamie wants is for anyone (amateurs anyway) to get into the water and put themselves at risk to get his boat back. It's not worth the risk at this point. The water is still super cold, 51 degrees on Sat. and the current is really fast in the section it dumped on. Like he said in his post, you have to put the value of life first.

S
steelhead_slayer
Dang I saw this post a while ago, but didn't realize who posted it. Sorry to here that. I hope everything works out for you

jamisonace
jamisonace
GraphiteZen said:
Good work.

Jamie, your thoughts?

Yeah. If someone spots it, give me a call. By now it should have settled and shouldn't be moving.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Eugene1 and I had our best chance of finding it yesterday with the water level a foot lower than when it sank. Now the water is on the rise so it may be a bit before it is seen. Like he said, he found my rowers bench and I'm guessing the rest of the boat is in pieces all over the river by now by how beat up the bench was.
I really appreciate all the advice and help. It means a lot to see so many caring people on this forum.

My only request is that you don't put yourself on any kind of danger if you come across it. It's not worth it.

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Darn, Jamie. That really blows. I'm glad you guys made it out okay. I hope you find your stuff.

On another note, I was hoping I could get an OFF sticker for my truck. Chuck hooked me up with an old school football style, but I'd like to have the other one. Hit me up with an address and a price and I'll send you cash.