Siuslaw fishing 2015

Q
qwapaw
We are here for our week of fishing and relaxing. Been fishing here for over 40 years. First time I have to say, we can't find the fish. Marking a few, but no take downs. Trying everything I can think of, saw a jack and one other small salmon caught yesterday. Do you guys think it's the big moon out there messing things up or the warm water on out going tides. Fished till 2:30 yesterday starting at 7:00 in the morning. All we took back was 2 crab. At least we can eat them, lol. I will post if our luck changes, so we all may have a chance at some fish. Tight lines guy, and gals. Qwapaw, (Dan)

Markk
Markk
I have not been on the Slaw in a couple of weeks. From what I have been told more fish are being caught above the barge than below.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
it has been an interesting year so far with lots of people catching lots of fish, lots of people looking for fish. the lower river (below RR bridge/Cushman) was very warm earlier but the strong tides have cooled things OFF nicely. there have been lots of small baitfish in the lower river and there is better visibility in the water than previous years.

we had some coho in way early (I released a nice one on 9/2) and they were jumping all over a week ago, but this week not so much and it seems like the big surge of coho is not in. and chinook have been moving through in small groups since early August, get into the right spot and you will see fish caught, get into the wrong location, nada....

interesting year...

I
IcatchEm
I went and fished Rhody Wall yesterday. I had one nice sized fish follow my spinner up to the rocks then turned away laughing. While I was there one person landed a fish, but it was too far away to see.

K
kwikfisher
rogerdodger said:
it has been an interesting year so far with lots of people catching lots of fish, lots of people looking for fish. the lower river (below RR bridge/Cushman) was very warm earlier but the strong tides have cooled things OFF nicely. there have been lots of small baitfish in the lower river and there is better visibility in the water than previous years.

we had some coho in way early (I released a nice one on 9/2) and they were jumping all over a week ago, but this week not so much and it seems like the big surge of coho is not in. and chinook have been moving through in small groups since early August, get into the right spot and you will see fish caught, get into the wrong location, nada....

interesting year...
Taking account of the clarity, I've been using the smaller 6" fish flash, thinking less flash might not scared them. I've had two chinook netted on my boat, so maybe I'm on to something? I still like the bigger blue label for herring though.

I
IcatchEm
Got one! 32" Chinook :flex:

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Just left the Wall 6 fish banked all day 1 Nook must have you! Pretty slow this last week I have 20 hours in and not a fish in over a week!

plumbertom
plumbertom
GaryP1958 said:
Just left the Wall 6 fish banked all day 1 Nook must have you! Pretty slow this last week I have 20 hours in and not a fish in over a week!
Okay, I was at the wall today from just about 7:30am until just after 3:30pm. I saw three fish caught close by me.
the guy that caught what I thought was a coho from where I was standing also lost one earlier.
All of them came after the noon hour.
None for me though.

I
IcatchEm
Yes Sir, I was right there. I was the newby.

plumbertom
plumbertom
IcatchEm said:
Yes Sir, I was right there. I was the newby.
I'm pretty much a newby also. although this wasn't my first trip there I still have yet to catch a Salmon.
I was the old fat guy in the orange long sleeves and tan "Let Us Fish" hat.

I
IcatchEm
I didn't see anyone by that description, but I did find out from the Ranger that I did not need to smash the barbs on my lures, after I already did.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
He is not a Ranger or Warden just a fish counter, very cool guy though and he fishes too. I would guess you have a one in 12 chance of a fish right now I know I live 500 yards away but I still fish it hard why not?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
We should do a fish OFF with members bring a Weber BBQ and a few cases of beer at least we will be fed and happy!

I
IcatchEm
GaryP1958 said:
We should do a fish OFF with members bring a Weber BBQ and a few cases of beer at least we will be fed and happy!

Or a Weber contest! Well, I happen to make the best Tri-Tip this side of Texas on a Weber, just ask me. I prefer Ultra.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
First of all tri tip is best from Santa Maria California but in Texas you can turn rawhide into brisket after 3 days in a smoker! But all kidding aside we need more fish!

I
IcatchEm
I learned Tri-Tip from some dude in Taft (my brother).

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I know Taft close to my old placeTehachapi Mtns!

P
plumb2fish
I caught a clipped coho the second week of August right at the 101.bridge.Have only seen a few more caught, including another clipped last week on our boat. My only bite on Sunday was a naked herring...

hobster
hobster
GaryP1958 said:

I'm down, just say the word! I haven't been out for salmon yet this year....................but soon.

plumbertom
plumbertom
IcatchEm said:
I learned Tri-Tip from some dude in Taft (my brother).
I have a friend named Phil lives in taft I used to go fish the Ca Aqueduct with every now and then, His health isn't good but he still tried to fish a catfish or two now and again.