Sandy very busy place

Irishrover
Irishrover
I went down to my secret spot today Dodge Park on the Sandy. There were about ten cars in the lot and guys spred from the bridge on down. I talked to one guy who had been there most of the day and he said he saw four fish taken out of there today. I saw one fish landed just as I was leaving. I fished down by the Island just above that big bolder that sits out in the middle of the river. I was swining my spey rod and wanted to give the gear guys room. The water was in good condition, not gin clear but not quite that nice green shade either. The river is on the rise, but not bad. I like it when it is steady or on the drop, but I am not complaining. The first sight I saw when I got there was a big old bald eagle swooping down low on the river. I took that as a good sign, figure he was fishing too. No luck on my part so after a few hours of standing in the river in the drizzle I packed it in and headed home for hot coffee. I believe the Sandy will be a very busy place this weekend so I'll stay at home tie a few fies and see what the river hold for me on Monday.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: eggs and OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
Now you've done it. After that post, Dodge Park will never be the same.

T
Tacomasteelheader
I think any river that has any level even worth fishing will be packed to the fullest :(, well that contain fin-clips

S
steelhead_slayer
Yes I heard since they got a little rain the river has been packed

A
alm21
Bald eagles are good luck. When I see them, fish will be hooked into. Landing them is another story. On Tuesday, we saw a bald eagle early in the day and I told them we'll be getting into them. I went 0-2, the other guy 0-1 and the third guy caught a 34" buck. I have other similar but more successful examples. nuff said. ;)

M
MattZ
i was the first one yesterday at the lot just after dodge, and it was still dark. i thought id get to swing some flies in that run just above there. 4 guys had camped that spot and were there as i come running up. nobody had caught at dodge by 9am. so i heacded downriver and fished a nice run. felt so fishy, but a boat decided they would let off their fisherman in the tail of the run i was fishing. nice manners douches. so i got to fish the head of a pool without a crowd. the rest of the day there were gearheads surrounding me so i packed up to tie flies.

good luck next week irishrover, and be in touch if ya want to swing some flies some time

Irishrover
Irishrover
Dodge park can get crowded especially right at the bridge hole. The Garbage hole just up river can also be full of folks too. I live close to the place and that is the reason I fish there. I can run down there for an hour or two and get some casting in. I think Oxbow Park is a much better place to swing flies. There is a lot more river available to fish and folks can spread out. You can walk up river from the boat ramp and find a good spot or fish the lower end of the park not to mention the famous naked lady hole. I just hate having to pay to get into the park. Maybe a season pass wouls be the way to go.

O
OnTheFly
Awe man........now Oxbow won't be the same.;). You'll probably mention Dabney Park and Gordon Creek next. Oh crap what have I done.......:shock:

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
Awe man........now Oxbow won't be the same.;). You'll probably mention Dabney Park and Gordon Creek next. Oh crap what have I done.......:shock:
I know what you are up to. You think I'm going to mention Cedar Creek, well I'm not going to do it. Cedar Creek down from the hatchery no way Im giving that up.

M
MattZ
haha, and don't forget that run right next to oxbow... or the one right next to dabney, you know, the one you see from the road but don't really feel like walking all the way to it. doh, thats pretty much the whole river, have fun fishing out there now that you all know how to find the sandy and its public access points.

R
Roolinghills
I like the bald eagle comment.. that's some truth.

The only time I've made the drive out to Big/Gnat creek I watched and followed a bald eagle while it circled and surveyed Gnat Creek. Hiked in quite a ways.. then lost him around a corner that was overgrown and I couldn't keep up. Once I came around I saw him sitting on the top of a tree looking down.

He was staring at a hole filled with 10-12 fish, the first time I had ever seen something like that on such a small creek. They were all too far in to spawning, but I learned what "Alm21" is talking about. Eagles = Fish. Also, he didn't bother swooping in to any of them. I think he even knows the good vs. bad meat. :)

I've also figured out that watching the sea lions on the Willy can tell you if you're wasting time. It seems like they'll just move through if there's no fish. I watched one go through the entire Clackamette/Meldrum area, up to O.C., back down then up in the Clack to the 99 bridge and back out.. Then he left. Needless to say no one caught anything that afternoon.

It's nice having natural "fish finders"... Especially when you're bank bound.