Sandy today

D
DriftOR
Fished the Sandy today from Oxbow to Dabney. My Dad released a native at the boat ramp at Oxbow while he was waiting for us to shuttle trucks. Unfortunately it was the only action of the day for us. Talked with a few other boaters that had released natives and one that had a hatchery fish. Saw 1 boat landing a fish but didn't see if they released it or not.

Anyone know when the hatchery run picks up on the Sandy?

Irishrover
Irishrover
"Sandy winter steelhead are a later arriving fish due to the broodstock program coming into place a few years back but now that it’s mid-January the catch will be improving"......This is a qoute from ODF&W. I'm not sure about the improving part but but mid Febuary, March and first part of April seems to be a better time now days. In years past (1970s & 80s) we used to hit the Sandy on Thanksgiving but now other than getting out of the cooks way it's not real productive. Just a couple of years ago I would drift it in January because I just wanted to get out, but the fish were not there in numbers and it would usually be just a dam cold drift. Now March 17th this year will be the day to be there for sure!;)

M
mccarrel
I've taken out a couple hatcheries, landed the first one in December, The run is going but this cold low water isn't helping things. Need some rain for a fresh push of fish.

D
DriftOR
Thanks for the info! I'll give it another shot in a couple weeks.

F
fishbanks
I fished the sandy yesterday below oxbow drifting pink corkie and yarn. Hooked a nice 10lb fish. Saw 4 others land fish to. Hope things are picking up!