Sandy First-Timer - Any Help?

S
setdahook
Fished on the Sandy for the first-time on Friday at Oxbow. Some really nice water by the launch and a few really nice stretches down the river that were a little tough to get but looks like they'll hold fish once they start to run. A lot of chinook spawning right by the launch but didn't see much other than that and there were only a few guys out.

I was floating a jig and bobber and didn't have any luck. The guys I saw were mostly using spinners. Is this the best for Coho? Any tips on size and colors? I've heard size 3 and 4 are best. Does anyone use live bait or jig float for these at all? I just moved to the area from the Midwest and never fished in smaller rivers like this so looking for any tips or help.

thanks much and good luck!

E
eggs
Live bait is illegal in Oregon... coho will take lots of things.. they will attack spinners size 3 or 4 in blues and greens work or bite eggs depending on the hole and the fish... coho seem to fly through the lower river up to dodge park area and above to cedar creek.. I am no expert by any means but have been around a while..

W
waco
Welcome to the OFF setdahook, in my experience spinners are not the best for coho (just me) other people have tremendous success with them! I like to use spoons any color as longest it has some pink!
I would recommend reading the Oregon regulations booklet so you know what you can and can't do! You can't use live bait!
I like to use sand shrimp for coho
Good luck and welcome

E
eggs
Appears almost anything tossed in the right place will **** off a coho lol

W
waco
Right place? :think: like on the take of the fish? Lol

E
eggs
Yea haha hit em in the nose and they bite.

W
waco
Like Mike pierce? lol

T
troutmasta
In my experiance coho will bite any thing pink and a lot of things purple. Ive caught them on jigs, plastic worms, eggs, spinners etc. Any thing pink/ pink ish I think. maybe some purple.

S
setdahook
Thanks, everyone! By live bait I definitely meant roe/shrimp so good there. Looks like I have another trip to the fishing store in my future (darn!).

@eggs - that's interesting they fly all the way up to Dodge, maybe I'll check it out there this weekend.

K
Kage
i might possibly head down to dodge park tomorrow w/ my spinners

H
Homebrewmike
I'm headed there this afternoon/evening. I'll give a report later tonight.

H
Homebrewmike
Was at dodge park around 4 today throwing spinners, had one slam a silver blade pink body. It ended up spitting the hook while I was reaching for my net to help land it. I left after dropping my iPhone in the river and went 0-1. I'll be back out there tomorrow, it leave the phone in the car,

S
setdahook
thanks for the report! nice to see some action but sorry about your phone....damn technologies. Keep us updated on how you do this week!

K
Kage
yah it's nice to hear there's at least some kinda action goin on there. i'm still finding my way around dodge park so maybe i'm not goin far enough up river or maybe i'm headin in the wrong direction entirely. i went up bull run the first time i went to dodge, then the next 2 times i've gone i would head under the bridge, goin up river...i figured that be a better direction to go but am i wrong? does the river tend to stay fairly shallow around dodge park? or is there a nice deeper section at some point?

H
Homebrewmike
I hooked the fish today just down stream from the bridge.

T
troutmasta
Exciting!! sandy is coming alive!

K
Kage
that's some good news there mike, maybe i'll head over there on wed and get my spinners wet. is that stretch of water between the bridge and bull run a good spot? u caught your fish in that water right? i'm excited at the prospects of catchin somethin now haha