Safety gear check up

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've been having fun down here in Warrenton getting the new boat ready for the season. Halibut season is just around the corner so going offshore is a must. I decided to go though all the safey gear and I'm glad I did. I made sure my fares were up to date, life vest in good repair and accessable, fire extinguisher in working order, the rest like vhf radio, first aid kit. So today was a beautiful day 73 degrees and light wind. My fist mate and I decide to go for a little boat ride out on the Columbia to check out all the stuff on the boat. We were the only boat between Warrenton and Hammon (not at all Like August). Well we were just about the only boat out there, soon an orange USGC boat came up by us and requested to board us. They are good guys so they are always welcome. They did an inspection and we passed with flying colors. I think they just wanted to check the new boat out. It was a nice visit, all the gear was in order and we got to meet some of the young people out there trying to make the water a safe place.

Reactions: eugene1
O
OnTheFly
Guess you were easy to spot being the only boat out there. And I agree that their safety check was just a formality and the real reason for it was to find out who the guy was that had a better boat than theirs.;)

T
troutmasta
Exactly what Jim said.

The nicest boat on the water gets the looks.

I can't wait for Halibut season!

If I had your caddy Lonn it would be an annual limit for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: eugene1
F
FishFinger
That's awesome she's ship shape and sea worthy! I'm more than a wee bit jealous and now you speak of Halibut!!!! Oh man, I was born to catch halibut on a rolling ocean... If you need a replacement first mate... I'm your Gilligan!

Meanwhile I'll hone my skillz on catfish till I get the (your) call, or unless you let it slip which slip your in; and you might discover a stowaway on board.

E
eugene1
IR, good reminder for everyone to make sure their boat is in good shape and ready for whatever elements or inspections we might get.

Thanks,

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm looking forward to May 1st that's the halibut opener. Hope the weather is going to cooperate. Part of checking the safty equipment was getting my first mate familure with how the equipment works. My first mate is my real first mate. I figured she better know how to uses that gear and operate the boat just incase I end up either swimming or have a medical issue. The Coast Guard guy thought that was great. Dan I don't think she would like you replacing her.....as first mate maybe a deck hand.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you, Lonn! It doesn't surprise me at all that you would be up to par on everything. I think you are spot on with having your "real first mate" familiar with running the ship as well. Congrats on a job well done! :hi:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks.....When I read the post Dan put up about the boat fire at Prineville it sure made me think about those fire extinguisher. The article said the boat owners didn't work. Not a good feeling!