Reporting an oversize!

W
warren22825
Hey Guys...

I watched this 6-footer get landed today about 6pm at Mary S. Young state park in L.O.

Yeah I know Sunday isn't legal for sturgeon and removing the oversize from water isn't either, but those guys were so excited, I didn't want to be a party pooper!

T
TTFishon
Did they catch it from the bank?

T
Troutier Bassier
wait so you can't even fish for sturgeon on sundays??? Only on thurs, fri, sat???

P
PDXKush
You can only Retain (Keep) them on Thurs-Sat...All other days are Catch and Release(On the Willamette)..PEace

Last edited:
J
joemomma
FWIW, yes sunday is legal as stated above for C&R, I wish you would have pulled one of them aside and mentioned, the law in removing a OS from the water! Just my 2 cent's. I know I wasn't there! But there is a lot of stress put on these monster's, they need all the help they can get!

M
metalmania
joemomma said:
FWIW, yes sunday is legal as stated above for C&R, I wish you would have pulled one of them aside and mentioned, the law in removing a OS from the water! Just my 2 cent's. I know I wasn't there! But there is a lot of stress put on these monster's, they need all the help they can get!

Ya I agree, those beasts are way better off in the water, that's why the regs state it.

W
warren22825
yeah I thought about mentioning not to pull the beast out of the water...The fish was already on land and then theres the issue of language barrier. but I did help them shove the thing back in. ;)

W
warren22825
Yes caught on the bank with what I believe was worms.

T
Troutier Bassier
lmao worms? hahahahhaahaa

F
Fishtopher
Nice Gator! Thanks for the pic!

S
SNDSLGR
Troutier Bassier said:
lmao worms? hahahahhaahaa

Actually worms are one of my favorite gator baits, try em, you might like what you find.

M
metalmania
SNDSLGR said:
Actually worms are one of my favorite gator baits, try em, you might like what you find.

Yep worms have rarely failed me:D.

T
TTFishon
So how do you rig worms for sturgeon?

M
metalmania
TTFishon said:

I just put 2 or 3 in the bait loop then put the hook through there tails. If there's a lot of sucker fish in the water I do the same thing but then I wrap atlas magic thread around them, but you can also use a spawn sack.

T
TTFishon
How big of a hook do you use?

S
SNDSLGR
I use 3 worms, slide about 1" of each worm up the shank then tie them off really good with thread. Kinda makes a ball-o-worms with six tails hanging out. Honestly its a pain in the a** and messy but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
metalmania
TTFishon said:
How big of a hook do you use?

I usually use a 4/0 gama barbless. Some guys go with 7/0 and others with 1/0, it's pretty much personal prefrence.

S
Seefood Man
TTFishon said:

A little tip for rigging worms for sturgeon. Grab the worm by the tail and whack it's head on something solid. This will stun the worm and will allow for and easier tie down on the hook. Keepers I run a 4/0 and oversize I run either an 8/0 or 10/0.
Have fun!

M
metalmania
Seefood Man said:
A little tip for rigging worms for sturgeon. Grab the worm by the tail and whack it's head on something solid. This will stun the worm and will allow for and easier tie down on the hook. Keepers I run a 4/0 and oversize I run either an 8/0 or 10/0.
Have fun!

I do the same thing, really makes it easier to work with them.

H
Hawk
lustrums ago when i lived in CA i either bought pileworms (sturgeon, catfish, & striped bass fishin') or we caught them at Moss landing sandy slough. Some were close to 2' long & they wood pinch................:shock:..........................:lol::lol::lol:.........................:cool::cool::cool: