Reporting an oversize!

W

warren22825

Hey Guys...

I watched this 6-footer get landed today about 6pm at Mary S. Young state park in L.O.

Yeah I know Sunday isn't legal for sturgeon and removing the oversize from water isn't either, but those guys were so excited, I didn't want to be a party pooper!

T

Troutier Bassier

wait so you can't even fish for sturgeon on sundays??? Only on thurs, fri, sat???

P

PDXKush

You can only Retain (Keep) them on Thurs-Sat...All other days are Catch and Release(On the Willamette)..PEace

Last edited:
J

joemomma

FWIW, yes sunday is legal as stated above for C&R, I wish you would have pulled one of them aside and mentioned, the law in removing a OS from the water! Just my 2 cent's. I know I wasn't there! But there is a lot of stress put on these monster's, they need all the help they can get!

M

metalmania

FWIW, yes sunday is legal as stated above for C&R, I wish you would have pulled one of them aside and mentioned, the law in removing a OS from the water! Just my 2 cent's. I know I wasn't there! But there is a lot of stress put on these monster's, they need all the help they can get!

Ya I agree, those beasts are way better off in the water, that's why the regs state it.

W

warren22825

yeah I thought about mentioning not to pull the beast out of the water...The fish was already on land and then theres the issue of language barrier. but I did help them shove the thing back in. ;)

W

warren22825

Yes caught on the bank with what I believe was worms.

M

metalmania

So how do you rig worms for sturgeon?

I just put 2 or 3 in the bait loop then put the hook through there tails. If there's a lot of sucker fish in the water I do the same thing but then I wrap atlas magic thread around them, but you can also use a spawn sack.

S

SNDSLGR

I use 3 worms, slide about 1" of each worm up the shank then tie them off really good with thread. Kinda makes a ball-o-worms with six tails hanging out. Honestly its a pain in the a** and messy but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Seefood Man

So how do you rig worms for sturgeon?

A little tip for rigging worms for sturgeon. Grab the worm by the tail and whack it's head on something solid. This will stun the worm and will allow for and easier tie down on the hook. Keepers I run a 4/0 and oversize I run either an 8/0 or 10/0.
Have fun!

M

metalmania

A little tip for rigging worms for sturgeon. Grab the worm by the tail and whack it's head on something solid. This will stun the worm and will allow for and easier tie down on the hook. Keepers I run a 4/0 and oversize I run either an 8/0 or 10/0.
Have fun!

I do the same thing, really makes it easier to work with them.

H

Hawk

lustrums ago when i lived in CA i either bought pileworms (sturgeon, catfish, & striped bass fishin') or we caught them at Moss landing sandy slough. Some were close to 2' long & they wood pinch................:shock:..........................:lol::lol::lol:.........................:cool::cool::cool: