Reminder on Wild Coho Regs...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
With Wild Coho opening on Saturday on the rivers, just a reminder of the Seasonal Limit change for 6 mid-coast rivers: "2 seasonal in aggregate with other rivers with a 2 wild fish seasonal limit" (Umpqua, Siuslaw, Nehalem, Yaquina, Siletz, Alsea).

Staying the same is 1 adult and 1 jack wild coho per day, counted as part of your overall salmon/jack limits for that day.

and it says "One wild jack coho per day during retention season for wild adult coho", so I take this to mean that even if you have previously tagged your 2 wild adults for the 6 rivers but are out fishing one of them for kings and hatchery coho, you can still retain 1 wild jack coho per day, provided the overall wild coho season has not closed on that river.

Lastly, and this is the same as previous years: when Siltcoos/Tahkenich open on Oct.1, if you tag an adult wild coho you cannot continue to fish in either lake for jacks or trout and these lakes are not open for kings or steelhead, so additional fishing that day requires a move to another body of water.

cheers, roger

M
mikeredding
Well said Roger. I have personally witnessed a lot of the misbehavior at Siltcoos in recent years.
I am not so sure it is from being uneducated though. I believe it is just total diregard of regulations.

H
hawgcaller
So, I have a question for you roger. I was wondering about wild retention on the coos. It was that you can keep 1 a day and 5 a year in aggregate with other rivers including tahkenitch and siltcoos lakes. So does that mean I could keep 2 umpqua fish and 3 coos fish? Or can I keep 2 ump and 5 coos? Probably wouldn't keep that many anyhow but I was just curious.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hawgcaller said:
So, I have a question for you roger. I was wondering about wild retention on the coos. It was that you can keep 1 a day and 5 a year in aggregate with other rivers including tahkenitch and siltcoos lakes. So does that mean I could keep 2 umpqua fish and 3 coos fish? Or can I keep 2 ump and 5 coos? Probably wouldn't keep that many anyhow but I was just curious.

the total for the year is never more than 5 regardless of how many locations you catch them in, so your first one is correct: 2 umpqua and 3 coos.

cheers, roger

H
hawgcaller
rogerdodger said:
the total for the year is never more than 5 regardless of how many locations you catch them in, so your first one is correct: 2 umpqua and 3 coos.

cheers, roger

Makes sense to me now. Thank you!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Alsea does not open for Coho retention until Oct. 1.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
RunWithSasquatch said:
Alsea does not open for Coho retention until Oct. 1.

good catch, it's like they tossed that in there just to see if we were reading very single word....:D