Pontoon in bay or tidewater

L
LuckyFisher
I always very much appreciate all the help I get from this site - thank you!!

I've got a pontoon boat I've used only one time on a river. My question is what would be the best way to fish for salmon in the bays or tidewater areas for salmon? Just cast and retrieve spinners?

troutdude
troutdude
The best way would be...

to let me use it! :lol:

But seriously...if it has a motor, try typical trolling gear.

L
LuckyFisher
No motor, just me and the oars unfortunately.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The most important thing you need is a LOT more time in the water with it before you start fishing for salmon. It is vital that you become as familiar as possible with it before being in the middle of the bay with a big fish dragging you around with your line twisted around you a couple times and no idea where you're headed. You can easily become overwhelmed and put yourself at risk. Get as much experience as you can manipulating the oars and all you gear.

C_Run
C_Run
One thing to keep in mind is that the wind comes up and tends to blow upstream at the coast this time of year. That is why we no longer take my wife's inflatable kayak out in bays. Having wind and tide working against you in a pontoon could be a real unpleasant experience. Once you go way up in tidewater, those things are less of a factor. You could fish with bobber and bait in the upper reaches of tidewater pretty comfortably I'd bet once the fish start stacking up.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the wind comes up and tends to blow upstream at the coast this time of year. That is why we no longer take my wife's inflatable kayak out in bays. Having wind and tide working against you in a pontoon could be a real unpleasant experience. Once you go way up in tidewater, those things are less of a factor. You could fish with bobber and bait in the upper reaches of tidewater pretty comfortably I'd bet once the fish start stacking up.

agreed, here on the Siuslaw for example, later in the fall, at Mapleton, you can fish out of basically anything- canoe, rowboat, driftboat with no motor, pontoon...but down here now out of Florence (ocean to Cushman), you want some propulsion- drift boat with motor, kayak designed for this sort of water, normal PB...but having said that, you don't need much propulsion if you work the tides, one direction with them to a change, spend slack (hopefully) trolling or casting or bobbering in a good area, then troll back to where you started...cheers, roger

C_Run
C_Run
rogerdodger said:
agreed, here on the Siuslaw for example, later in the fall, at Mapleton, you can fish out of basically anything- canoe, rowboat, driftboat with no motor, pontoon...but down here now out of Florence (ocean to Cushman), you want some propulsion- drift boat with motor, kayak designed for this sort of water, normal PB...but having said that, you don't need much propulsion if you work the tides, one direction with them to a change, spend slack (hopefully) trolling or casting or bobbering in a good area, then troll back to where you started...cheers, roger

One more comment on the tide/wind factor. A strong wind can totally overshadow any help from the tide. (Don't ask me how I know.)

D
DrTheopolis
I'd say first, get a flag (bicycle or jet-ski type), so powerboaters can see you.

I think what you're trying could be done, but I'd stay out of the open bay. The very upper bays or lower river tidewater should be fine. As mentioned, ride the tides to make (somewhat) sure you get back to your launch.

I don't know your location, but places like Carnahan Park in Tillamook, or OFF the dock at Nehalem would be suitable for such an adventure. Bring an anchor, or a bag you can put rocks in or whatever. I'd say tossing spinners or bobbers would be a great way.

Have fun.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
I'd say first, get a flag (bicycle or jet-ski type), so powerboaters can see you.

I think what you're trying could be done, but I'd stay out of the open bay. The very upper bays or lower river tidewater should be fine. As mentioned, ride the tides to make (somewhat) sure you get back to your launch.

agreed, I never go out in my kayak without my ATV type of safety flag.

and I should clarify for those not familiar with the Siuslaw, it basically has no 'bay' as part of its tidewater, it is just sort of a wide river the last 7 miles (from Cushman down to the ocean)...cheers, roger

L
LuckyFisher
Thanks a lot for the tips guy! I've typically banked fished on the Alsea in my limited experience last Fall. So would you recommend probably no closer to the ocean than Taylors landing or so? Or where would be a decent put-in for my one-man pontoon? Thanks!

C_Run
C_Run
LuckyFisher said:
Thanks a lot for the tips guy! I've typically banked fished on the Alsea in my limited experience last Fall. So would you recommend probably no closer to the ocean than Taylors landing or so? Or where would be a decent put-in for my one-man pontoon? Thanks!

I'm familiar up there and I would say that's about perfect. Good luck. I know of one roadside put in up there but it is extremely steep and difficult.