Poltics of fishing

B
bigboy70
Since chasing steel I have realized that are a lot of politics much more then I thought or want surrounding steelhead and salmon fishing. I hear of such organizations such Native fish society, Three rivers alliance, northwest steelheaders association to name a few. I've done some research not much cause it makes my brain hurt reading some of the garbage they come up with. I have been looking to join a group more for volunteer work cleaning up rivers and some hatchery work. Anyone know of a decent group to join excluding the NFS because I DO NOT support what there doing in any kind of way or will I ever. This is a can of worms I'm not quite sure I want to open but here goes.

This is strictly MY opinion it is not my intent to offend anyone in anyway.

all opinions welcome would like to see what some of the other members are doing to contribute and/or there views on these groups.

THANKS, Ethan

M
markasd
Can open!
The only one I have found that I can get behind is the STEP program on the coast.... doing some good things.
Yup, politics and fish.. bummer huh?
Good luck in your pursuit, if all else fails - keep cleaning up the rivers you frequent.

B
bigboy70
sounds like it but also have found out a lot of people have hidden agendas

B
bigboy70
markasd said:
Can open!
The only one I have found that I can get behind is the STEP program on the coast.... doing some good things.
Yup, politics and fish.. bummer huh?
Good luck in your pursuit, if all else fails - keep cleaning up the rivers you frequent.

Thanks and I always leave the river cleaner then when I arrvived an old timer taught me that so now its just second nature. the Misses thought the garbage bags in our pack were for fish she soon found out the were actually for trash its a bummer how people treat the rivers now a days I'm no saint but I try.

M
markasd
Your going to find "hidden agendas" everywhere - the more you look the more you find. I'm sure STEP has issues - used to have some members on here and they could probably tell ya more about it.
Let us know what you find if you do.

B
bigboy70
no doubt there everywhere. I want to do but hell didn't think it was gunna be well the way it is unfortunately. I might start my own little group that way if the agenda is hidden at least its mine and going to be for something good lol

S
smoky
I would join i really want to get started in helping clean the rivers. I wish the tualatin river was clean but i dont see that ever happening

B
bigboy70
A group that supports hatchery's and there fish and natives as well as doing river clean ups habitat enhancements things of that natural and educate people that don't know hatcheries and there fish are good for everyone

1 nut in the water
Special Olympics!
Coaches are always needed

B
bigboy70
Yes that is an awesome group to volunteer for did that back on high school for awhile but on thinking more fishing related and river related

R
_RJ_
Start one. I agree with you about the pre-existing groups, not a fan. Maybe we can start one together...

B
bigboy70
you know Ive gotten a lot of feedback from a few people I think I am going to start my own fishing organization/club. Because I am for hatchery and hatchery fish (even the trout) I do want to protect the natives hence the hatchery fish thought that was a no brainer but.... some people right. yes I'm a rookie to Steelhead fishing butIi already see how important of a role the hatcheries play in sport fishing. This has lit a fire in my soul that no one and I mean no one will extinguish this inferno ever!!

RJ what area do you reside in

TIME TO DO SOME WORK

R
_RJ_
I'm in the Beaverton area.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hello Bb70! I have just the group your looking for. It works the mouth of all Oregon rivers,hatcherys and clean-ups even in your area. First of all Get hold of Christine Clapp of ODFW in Newport, Christine.mclapp@state.or.us 541-265-8306X253. Better yet show up a Devils Lake,Regatta Park, Lincoln City Mar.15 at the seasons first fishing event of the year. "WE" will all be theire. Hope you can make it. Tony

H
halibuthitman
I donate every year to the nw steelheaders and the native fish society. The nw steelheaders are a fantastic group to get in with- good fishin-

B
bigboy70
Rj I'm in Oregon city not to far ill be in contact gonna whip up some ideas.

CC sounds good but with that short of notice I wont b able to attend I will call tomorrow though

HHM Thanks for the input do those two groups intertwine

H
halibuthitman
No bigboy, in fact they often appose one another, but as a whole they both do good work, and they both do some bad work, but they both do work, and thats whats important-

B
bigboy70
Agreed but good because in my opinion I personally do not like A Lot of what the NSA does

troutdude
troutdude
bigboy70 said:
Agreed but good because in my opinion I personally do not like A Lot of what the NSA does

I don't care much, for the National Security Administration either (where facebook is headquartered)!!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: