OFF Fisherperson of the year or Virtual Tournament?

X
xltom
Opening day for some trout fishing is coming up soon correct? How about:

O.F.F. Opening Day Virtual Trout Tourny (first annual)
sponsored by-(whoever donates some prizes)

STATEWIDE ONLINE FISHING TOURNAMENT!

Prizes for: Largest Trout, and Largest Stringer(limit 5 trout) by inches.
(prizes include:ribbon or plaque with title-OFF 2011Tourny winner!!!! Tackle,, OFF stickers etc..prizes value limited to $100 or less and must be mailed to an Oregon address.)

NO ENTRY FEE REQUIRED!! Just bring any Oregon newspaper of the event date and a measuring tape/yard stick fishing with you. Place your fish on top of the newspaper(with left side facing up), lay the ruler/tape next to the fish and take a picture. Upload your photos to the Tournament Thread on O.F.F. and that's it!!! The Tourny thread will be locked at midnight opening day. Please make sure entire newspaper and fish are in frame and markings on the ruler and newspaper are reasonably visable in each pic. (Participants must sign up to the free forum to upload pics.)

All that would be needed of the mods would be:
1. Endorsement of the Tourny....make it official!
2. Lock the thread at midnight
3. Advertise the tourny here on the forum(adspace on the forum if possible, ads in signatures, link to the thread on OFF home page, and a newsletter to members)

I would be willing to start out the prize pot with $10-$20 worth of new trout lures... if it looks like some peeps are interested in participating. We could also ask some tackle companies if they want to give away some promotional stuff maybe in exchange for plugs(mentions) in all the ads for the tourny. I would also be willing to post flyers at my local tackle shops as to attract new members to the forum with this event....

When is opening day? What do you mods think of this idea? No need for judging, or excluding anyone at all. I searched "online fishing tournament" and there's a bunch that you have to pay for but I didn't see any for free...

My rule for excluding pros and guides was intended for the OFF Fisherperson of the year award idea because those of you who fish everyday would have sooo many pics it wouldn't be fair. I think everyone could be welcome to participate in this one...

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
xltom said:
Haven't fished since Coho at siltcoos. I've been obsessed with my new 15'1" Welded Gregor! and gettin her ready for springer fishing... Almost there! I just need rod holders...electric motor and floatation foam for under the seats... we should fish sometime...

sound good to me

and it looks like you got it figured out for the tourney

N
nyersa
Hey guys, what do you think of using a line strength to fish weight ratio for one of the catagories? Catching the biggun on like a 4 or 6 lb test line seems like more of an accomplishment to me than just hauling it in with 80lb braided....

X
xltom
Kodiak said:
Don't make it too technical...would take the fun out for us noobs.

Agreed.... I thought out the trout tourny to be the simplest to run and judge on the forum...How would you ever confirm what line was used?

Who here ever makes friendly bets with your fishing buddies? I've done: Biggest fish and most fish...everybody throws in $5 for each (biggest, most fish) and the winner at the end of the day gets the pot. Don't try this unless you don't mind a little trash talk at the lake...makes things really competitive..and fun

N
nwkiller
kodiak...a noob...hahaha

A
Amberjack
xltom said:
Agreed.... I thought out the trout tourny to be the simplest to run and judge on the forum...How would you ever confirm what line was used?

Who here ever makes friendly bets with your fishing buddies? I've done: Biggest fish and most fish...everybody throws in $5 for each (biggest, most fish) and the winner at the end of the day gets the pot. Don't try this unless you don't mind a little trash talk at the lake...makes things really competitive..and fun

Trout is fine, but do not call it OFF Angler of the year, suggest OFF Trout angler of the year. I fish 150 days a year on the ocean, or should I say I would rather sleep with Supermodels, then tramps.. get my drift?

X
xltom
Amberjack said:
Trout is fine, but do not call it OFF Angler of the year, suggest OFF Trout angler of the year. I fish 150 days a year on the ocean, or should I say I would rather sleep with Supermodels, then tramps.. get my drift?

The trout tourny and fisherperson/Angler of the year award were two different ideas....

OK...bigger is better... I get it. My idea of Angler of the year would be someone who knows fish so well that they could target different species in very different bodies of water and still do well... even in places they've never been. I really get into figuring out how to get at the fish and get em to bite in a new place. I AM jealous though..... A few of my buddies went fishing offshore on a charter this weekeend and I couldn't go because my new boat suckerpunched my wallet....pooh!

A
Amberjack
xltom said:
The trout tourny and fisherperson/Angler of the year award were two different ideas....

OK...bigger is better... I get it. My idea of Angler of the year would be someone who knows fish so well that they could target different species in very different bodies of water and still do well... even in places they've never been. I really get into figuring out how to get at the fish and get em to bite in a new place. I AM jealous though..... A few of my buddies went fishing offshore on a charter this weekeend and I couldn't go because my new boat suckerpunched my wallet....pooh!

Boat = Break Out Another Thousand. I know I own 4 of them. Good ideas please keep the tourney folks, and folks who fish for a living (Me) out of it, Amateurs only !!!

X
xltom
Kodiak said:
Wouldn't we all..but then think about all the fun you would be missing at 1/3rd the cost!

I bet those supermodels are under-achievers anyway.......give me the dirty tramp! I like givers...

A
Amberjack
xltom said:
I bet those supermodels are under-achievers anyway.......give me the dirty tramp! I like givers...

But I have bragging rights!!!!!