My first kings

M
montym
Went out with Tanner aka Steelmonkiller and his friend Jerry near the cost on Saturday, 11/1. Glorious day, felt colder than a witch's proverbials when we hit the water a little after 6 am, but it turned out great. Soft sunrise changing into a bright sunny day, just cold enough, fog on the water and rolling over the hills and all that poetic stuff. It was hard keeping my focus on the rod/bobber while ignoring the scenery even though I was after blood. Not a prize winning photo of Tanner and the river below, but it kind of gives you an idea.

I got my kick out of landing my first two kings. Real big ones too for me, I can still feel them, I am a bit sore even now.

Tanner hooked the first one when he was showing me how to do set-up for back drifting. Tanner told me it was a king, but when he gave me the rod almost immediately I was a bit disappointed. Could not even feel anything, I thought it was a small trout or something and I actually said so to my regret later. Then it exploded, at least that is what it seemed to me and the line started to sing. I was so taken by surprise that I actually kind of hurt my shoulder. Clueless as usual on what to do, Tanner goes on about not reeling in agains the fish, lift the rod tip, bring it left/right/down and I follow. Fish fights on, for a while my shoulder really hurts and I think about giving it to Jerry. Pride wins, I hold on and after what seems like a very long time I get it close enough for Jerry to net it. My first king, and it felt awesome. Motivation comes from the strangest things, I am getting tempted to build some muscle in my 38th year to catch fish. Never been an outdoors kind of guy, we don't get too much chance of that in India; but I read a lot and I've always wondered what catching a big fish felt like. Now I am beginning to understand, it seems to be a mixure of a big shot of adrenaline and a nice kick up the backside. Tanner estimated this fish at high teens and kindly agreed to say it was close to 20 lbs. It turned out to be about 32 inch when I measured it at home, didn't weigh it.

Jerry hooks the second one, under a bobber I think, and graciously gives it to me. Coho, but it was awesome getting the fish to the boat. The kings gave me a lot more trouble, but this chap was like something out of the world for a few minutes. Rolling all over the place right at the top, it was great to watch. Still, managed to get it close enough for Jerry to cut the line, it was a wild one.

I, all by myself for a surprise, hook the next one on a kwikfish. Hate those kwikfish things, always gives me the impression that there is a fish at the end of the line and I can't relax at all when I have those things set-up. Then the rod actually goes down. This time it was a real fish, but it got itself freed after a short while. It sure felt like a big one, you all know about the one that goes away much better than I do.

Next one was a king again, that was a lot of fun. I had no clue what it was initially, but it went crazy for a few minutes. The reel screams, and Tanner throws in a few comments about it being a very smaaaalll one. I won't be taken by that again, but for a moment I wondered if I had gone nuts. I do my best to reel it in, but it just does not move sometime. Here's the fish testing me to the end of my limits, and there's Tanner calling it a small one. Nicest bit of leg pulling I suffered from in a long while, I'd probably have given upthe rod away without it. Longest fight of my short fishing career, the fish hurts me a lot, keeps dragging line out quite a few time when I thought I had it close to the boat. Thankfully a happy ending after a good while, no pun intended, and Jerry netted it for me.

I declined Tanner's offer to fillet the fish for me. We eat almost every part of the fish and I do not want to waste any of these ones. Bad mistake. I get home, and dang, there is almost no place where I can cut them up, they are almost too big for my countertop. I live in an apartment with some very sensitive neighbours below who actually started banging on the floor as I was hacking away at the fish. Took me almost 3 hours to get the two fish ready for cooking/freezing. I had never handled any fish larger than a medium sized coho earlier, so it was a bit challenging to be honest.

BTW, I am planning to go out with Tanner in the last weekend of November. I'd love to share the boat with another OFF member, I'll bring the beer.

DSCF9178tt.jpgIMG_9010.jpg

Cheers
M

Reactions: billfisher
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
outstanding and good on you for wanting to learn how to process big fish, there is definitely a learning curve and you need to start somewhere. I use a sharp fillet knife, serrated knife, and sharp scissors. all three tools help at times.

I found this guys video useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Z-12nj6pE

I obviously work much slower than he does and I take off the tail part whole as a roast (tail to pee hole makes a great roast to freeze and bake later), I also trim off the belly strips with a sharp scissors before filleting since we use those seperate from the fillets...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
Good fish, montym.

T
troutmasta
Nice fish MontyM.

Tanner(ghostrider) way to go bud-

N
Native Fisher
Nicely done man!

B
bagold53
Great write up. Might be going out with tanner on Weds. Those kings are a arm bender for sure. After my last one I had to take a 30 min break.

O
OnTheDrop
Good write up my friend. You had me "Lol'ing" pretty good the last couple of paragraphs.

See you soon.

Cheers,

A
amnis
My first kings

awesome!! great fish

B
billfisher
Nice post montym! What a great way to start catching! Beautiful fish!

E
eugene1
montym said:
I declined Tanner's offer to fillet the fish for me. We eat almost every part of the fish and I do not want to waste any of these ones. Bad mistake.
Cheers
M

Forgot to add... LOL.

I never turn down a guide's offer to fillet the fish, or even a more experienced person than myself!

O
OnTheDrop
troutmasta said:
Nice fish MontyM.

Tanner(ghostrider) way to go bud-

Just got that one Jeff...Classssssiccccc!!!!

S
sapo
Wow, nice job those are some gorgeous bright kings! Great to learn to salmon fish with a couple trips with Steelmonkiller!!

M
montym
Thank you folks for your kind remarks.

Roger, thanks for the tips. However, we prefer our fish cut in a slightly different manner. Good video here, that's how most of the fishermen cut our fish. Mostly those would be fresh water fish, carp or similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDi6EwMSG9c. First off course we'd take off the scales, and then cut the fish into small pieces, bones and all. I have some pretty good knives, but the small confines and not being able to give a good whack to cut through the big bones made it an exercise.

Don't read on if you have a weak stomach, we eat the head too. Cutting that up was a bit of a challenge, I was worried about my fingers to be honest. It is a very popular dish back home, plenty of recipes available if you Google "Muri ghonto". We make it using only very fresh fish, frozen ones would taste bad. I suspect we may have cooked the first ever salmon muri ghonto this weekend, not too many of us Indians here go fishing and even the ones who do would probably be a bit squeamish about chopping up a large fish. I'm kind of considered a strange bird by some of my friends here, they don't get why I get myself cold and wet after something that I can pick up from a shop.

Cheers
M

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
montym said:
Thank you folks for your kind remarks.

Roger, thanks for the tips. However, we prefer our fish cut in a slightly different manner. Good video here, that's how most of the fishermen cut our fish. Mostly those would be fresh water fish, carp or similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDi6EwMSG9c. First off course we'd take off the scales, and then cut the fish into small pieces, bones and all. I have some pretty good knives, but the small confines and not being able to give a good whack to cut through the big bones made it an exercise.

Don't read on if you have a weak stomach, we eat the head too. Cutting that up was a bit of a challenge, I was worried about my fingers to be honest. It is a very popular dish back home, plenty of recipes available if you Google "Muri ghonto". We make it using only very fresh fish, frozen ones would taste bad. I suspect we may have cooked the first ever salmon muri ghonto this weekend, not too many of us Indians here go fishing and even the ones who do would probably be a bit squeamish about chopping up a large fish. I'm kind of considered a strange bird by some of my friends here, they don't get why I get myself cold and wet after something that I can pick up from a shop.

Cheers
M

outstanding, I admit to wondering why you were "hacking away at the fish" while butchering a large salmon, and while we might cut our fish up differently, we agree on using all the fish, nothing goes to waste here either (we do use the front of the head and gills as crab bait...)

that recipe looks great and I will need to try a version of it soon. We cook some Indian and Thai food at home (working in the semiconductor industry for a Singapore based company, we have many friends/co-workers from India who have always been happy to share recipes)...our favorite for salmon is mustard based, I think Bengali Mustard Sauce Salmon is what my friend called it, we make it with fillet chunks and usually green beans, the masala for it is basically tumeric, mustard (powder and seeds), cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and serrano chilies plus cayenne powder (it does not have the cardamom and cinnamon that I see in Muri ghonto, not sure how those flavors will work with salmon but I will need to give it a try to see).

I did have fish head curry in Singapore a couple of times but always enjoyed the chilli crab better...:D cheers, roger

M
montym
rogerdodger said:
. We cook some Indian and Thai food at home (working in the semiconductor industry for a Singapore based company, we have many friends/co-workers from India who have always been happy to share recipes)...our favorite for salmon is mustard based, I think Bengali Mustard Sauce Salmon is what my friend called it, we make it with fillet chunks and usually green beans, the masala for it is basically tumeric, mustard (powder and seeds), cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and serrano chilies plus cayenne powder (it does not have the cardamom and cinnamon that I see in Muri ghonto, not sure how those flavors will work with salmon but I will need to give it a try to see).

I did have fish head curry in Singapore a couple of times but always enjoyed the chilli crab better...:D cheers, roger

My dear sir, you could have knocked me over with a feather there! You post brought back a lot of memories, not good when we are trying to start a diet.

That mustard fish curry is one of our favorites but we've never tried it with salmon, I must remind my wife about it tomorrow. I know she won't be able to resist cooking some up for dinner.

I was in Singapore for a spell in 2008, working, and that place is a food lovers paradise! Those black pepper/chilly crabs were out of the world, and less said about the hawker centers the better. Where else in the world will you work in a 32 story building, then go down to the basement past luxury goods outlets to eat roast duck, roast pork and steamed rice all for $2.5?

Cheers
M

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
montym said:
I was in Singapore for a spell in 2008, working, and that place is a food lovers paradise! Those black pepper/chilly crabs were out of the world, and less said about the hawker centers the better. Where else in the world will you work in a 32 story building, then go down to the basement past luxury goods outlets to eat roast duck, roast pork and steamed rice all for $2.5?

Cheers
M

exactly, I had good eats at hawker centers all the time on my dozen or so trips and never any problems, the one time I got food poisoning was from fancy restaurant in a big name hotel..:sad: I also loved riding the MRT and walking...my favorite places to 're-hydrate' with co-workers was Brewerkz or Muddy Murphy's...last trip over was in early 2008 and I took the SingAir non-stop back to LAX, 16 hours in the air, bleah.

enjoy those nooks! cheers, roger

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Montym that was a great narrative. Those are some beautiful fish!