No bait!

brandon4455
brandon4455
On saturday when me and berg03 were fishing on the nestucca i saw multiple bait containers and even people fishing with roe above the bait fishing deadline . once you pass moon creek at blaine it is ILLEGAL to use bait on the nestucca. There are signs at most of the pull outs so im pretty sure they know that they are breaking the law. This is a shout out to those people and anyone who doesn't know the regulations for that area.

3.from moon creek located at blaine to elk creek
open for adipose fin clipped steelhead jan 1-march31 and may26-dec31
restricted to artifical flies and lures only

Closed to all salmon angling year round

H
hunt-fish-trap
are plastics considered artificial flies. I have asked and asked but can never get a straight answer

C
ChezJfrey
Soft plastic is considered bait...from the regulations:

"Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms, eggs, or other imitation baits are considered bait. Scent is not considered bait."

Reactions: waco
J
Johnny Southpaw
ChezJfrey said:
Soft plastic is considered bait...from the regulations:

"Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms, eggs, or other imitation baits are considered bait. Scent is not considered bait."

Thanks for sharing-I would of guessed otherwise.

Reactions: waco
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks,Brandon. Sometimes it's a matter of not understanding or not knowing the rules of the game. Of course, there are always going to be mooseknuckles out there breaking the rules,too. It's folks like you who try to keep others on the right track.

W
waco
brandon4455 said:
On saturday when me and berg03 were fishing on the nestucca i saw multiple bait containers and even people fishing with roe above the bait fishing deadline . once you pass moon creek at blaine it is ILLEGAL to use bait on the nestucca. There are signs at most of the pull outs so im pretty sure they know that they are breaking the law. This is a shout out to those people and anyone who doesn't know the regulations for that area.
Did you say something to them?? I'm sure you aren't stopping them just posting that here!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
waco said:
Did you say something to them?? I'm sure you aren't stopping them just posting that here!!!

bno, i will admit to not saying anything, i told my fishing partner THis:

"Look at those eggs on the ground bait fishing up here is &%(^ing illegal!" i said it pretty loud and he told me shush because what i didn't notice was the guy was right there LOL. also what i found was interesting was he noticed us from the forum, he is someone that visits here

B
Berg03
ya he noticed my yellow car with the OFF sticker on it

H
halibuthitman
Berg03 said:
ya he noticed my yellow car with the OFF sticker on it
you drive a yellow car?

W
waco
Whats wrong with yellow cars!!?? maybe he just doesn't want to get on a accident, everybody can sees yellow!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
his little yellow car is badass

B
Berg03
halibuthitman said:
you drive a yellow car?

I love my yellow car, gonna put a black stripe down the middle, gonna be so sick.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Berg03 said:
I love my yellow car, gonna put a black stripe down the middle, gonna be so sick.

call it the bumble bee :lol:

P
PNW Sam
Kind of along these same lines, this Summer I saw big packs of cured roe on the Pudding river. There are like, what, all of 40 steelhead or Chinook that run up that stream after they got wiped out by illegal gillnets, and someone is out there trying to catch them with bait. Yeah I know 40 is exaggerating, but damn that kind of stuff is annoying.

This was near where Mallorie's dairy is (or was). Really nice deep run that holds NICE cutthroat as well.

brandon4455
brandon4455
PNW Sam said:
Kind of along these same lines, this Summer I saw big packs of cured roe on the Pudding river. There are like, what, all of 40 steelhead or Chinook that run up that stream after they got wiped out by illegal gillnets, and someone is out there trying to catch them with bait. Yeah I know 40 is exaggerating, but damn that kind of stuff is annoying.

This was near where Mallorie's dairy is (or was). Really nice deep run that holds NICE cutthroat as well.

sad stuff... odfw needs more officers in the field enforcing the law..

B
Berg03
they could pay me to run out there i wouldnt mind :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
Berg03 said:
they could pay me to run out there i wouldnt mind :)

that would be awesome.. i would do it for free though, knowing its protecting the fish and their habitats by busting law breakers would be enough for me

D
dirtyd
yea was up that way today and thier was like five different ppl fishing with bait and didn't care

I
idahojeff
Sounds like you boys had your chance to play fish and game...and decided not to say anything. Swing and a miss. Sometimes it is easier to talk tough after the fact. No disrespect intended, I just get tired of the tough talk on the forum and I hardly ever see people do the right thing on the water. I would also be surprised if 20 % of the "fishermen(women) even know the regs.

Just my opinion.

G
GDBrown
The right and wrong of it all

The right and wrong of it all

Using bait in a restricted area can be viewed as poaching and if you call the number on the back of your license an officer will be dispatched if one is available. At the minimum you need to be able to provide a description of the person(s) and their vehicle with a license number if possible. A photo or video is even better. I know because I have done it several times in the past, and the officers are grateful when they receive those calls.

Do you carry a copy of the printed regs with you at all times? You should because if you have an encounter with law enforcement it goes a long way in mitigating your conditions if you can show them why you believe your actions are legal. And if you are wrong it is easier to understand why you were wrong when they can show you and explain it from the magic little book. I received a warning when I was in the wrong and showed him in my book why I thought I was legal. My attitude was correct and that got me a warning rather than a fine! It is important to know the regs as much as possible but attitude helps also.

GD