What does mainline railroad mean?

K
kenjimua
i was reading the regulation again and I have no idea what it means? can someone pretty please explain it better for me? I will put it in bold letter on what im asking about?

lets use this for example:
Eagle Creek upstream from the mainline railroad bridge (Columbia River near Bonneville Dam, Hood River Co.)
• Catch and release only for trout May 23-Oct. 31.
• Open for Chinook and adipose fin-clipped coho salmon May 23-Aug. 15.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-March 31, May 23-Aug. 15, and Dec. 1-31.
• Use of bait allowed.
• See Columbia River Zone, page 91, for regulations concerning the area downstream from the mainline railroad bridge.

EOBOY
EOBOY
kenjimua said:
i was reading the regulation again and I have no idea what it means? can someone pretty please explain it better for me? I will put it in bold letter on what im asking about?

lets use this for example:
Eagle Creek upstream from the mainline railroad bridge (Columbia River near Bonneville Dam, Hood River Co.)
• Catch and release only for trout May 23-Oct. 31.
• Open for Chinook and adipose fin-clipped coho salmon May 23-Aug. 15.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-March 31, May 23-Aug. 15, and Dec. 1-31.
• Use of bait allowed.
• See Columbia River Zone, page 91, for regulations concerning the area downstream from the mainline railroad bridge.

Eagle crk. goes under I 84 and the railroad bridge at Eagle crk. Hatchery so that is the mainline railroad bridge in the regs.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
EOBOY said:
Eagle crk. goes under I 84 and the railroad bridge at Eagle crk. Hatchery so that is the mainline railroad bridge in the regs.

agreed, main railroad line is the one running right along the side of the Columbia river....

regs. page 88

Description:
The Columbia River Zone is all waters of the Columbia River upstream from a north-south line through Buoy 10 at the river mouth
and includes those portions of tributaries (including lakes) downstream from the mainline railroad bridges near the tributaries’ mouths
except for the Willamette (including Multnomah Channel), Sandy, Hood, Deschutes and Umatilla river systems and Youngs Bay.
The Columbia River Zone includes downstream from Hwy 730 on the Umatilla River and from Interstate 84 on the Deschutes River.
The boundary is a straight line across the mouths of the Willamette (including Multnomah Channel), Sandy and Hood rivers and the
Hwy 101 Bridge on Youngs Bay

Last edited:
S
sapo
Ya its pretty obvious when u get there it is a railroad over the creek. Pretty much only 100 feet of bank at the mouth is where you are allowed to fish right now..and it's always packed.

B
Big3d
If it isn't terribly busy there, it's because there are no fish. Otherwise there are always many people. Be careful with your stuff, someone stole a bunch of gear from myself and a friend. We were wading and they grabbed and took off.

W
wils
fishing spots were so much more colorful before GPS.

"I was fishing in about 30' of water in the cove that has the tree with the eagles' nest in it"
"Travel 20 minutes north of MDR breakwall @ 18 knots. When you pop out of the fog, look for 65' of water and an apartment painted green and yellow"
Then my first GPS report was when I got back to Santa Monica Bay from Laughlin: "247.5 miles due west of the poker table in the Flamingo Hotel Poker Room."

This new GPS-based generation of fisherpeople missed out on all the fun in finding fish. :D

Reactions: rogerdodger
G
Gary W
Just means not a secondary line or the one most traveled. Not being used by a switch engine just for trains that are interstate. (Just for example)in albany oregon the main line is the Union Pacific track not the sp&s switch engine line however an sp & s line could be considered a main line as it goes through Elk City as it is on its way to The paper mill at Toledo. It is the same line as the secondary line in Albany.