Fin-clipped fishes pass the hatchery line?

S
spark
Hi OFFers,

I have a question regarding fin-clipped fishes. I'm looking at Trask River regulation like below. What is their behavior once fin-clipped fishes arrive at the hatchery? then they go upstream to spawn? or ODFW trap them at the hatchery line and spawn there? I don't know if I can catch hatchery fish (fin-clipped ones) above hatchery line (I know I need away from the deadlines). That is, they go upstream passing the hatchery?

• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped spring Chinook salmon April 1-July 31.
• Open for fall Chinook salmon Aug. 1-Dec. 31; except closed for adult Chinook salmonupstream from Hwy 101 bridge Aug. 1-Sept. 15. Two adult Chinook per day, 4 in any 7 consecutive days, 10 per season in aggregate from all Nehalem, Tillamook, and Nestucca bays and streams.
• Use of bait allowed.
• Closed from marker below Dam Hole upstream to Blue Ridge Creek Sept. 1-Nov. 30. The Dam Hole is located near milepost 7 on the Trask River Road.
• Closed from Gold Creek, at hatchery, 200 feet upstream and 900 feet downstream June 1-Nov. 30.

Thank you.

S
shimano22
you can fish above the deaedline there is actually a path that goes a ways up there after crossing the creek and a few decent spots. retention of clippers is ok above that creek that you need to cross to get to legal fishing waters and fish will stray all the time

S
spark
Thank you for the answer. Well, I'd like to go fish on Dam hole above hatchery tomorrow. I wondered if I can catch fin-clipped ones there. I called one of ODW biologists, and he told me I can catch fin-clipped one because they try to go upstream above the hatchery line, but the number of hatchery fish would be less than below the hatchery line. some fishes stop at the hatchery line and spawn, but some fishes go upstream. That's what I've been told. Anyone go Trask river tomorrow? I'm never been Trask river, so could you give me the spots that I can try tomorrow? I might bring fly rod as well (still learning).

F
fishmutt
i caught this hen WAY above the hatchery on the north fork in marchthe further above the hatchery you go the less likely to find a clipped fish, but the trask has some huge wild steelhead that are worth the drive for me. the wilson river is a good option for hatchery fish right now also. i picked up this one there yesterday.good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
K
Kevinb5688
Fishing above hatcherys can be good, a lot of fish miss there exit. And just incase you didn't know they dont let hatchery fish spawn. They milk hens so they have no eggs and throw the back to head to the ocean ( most become seal bait allowing fresh fish coming up a chance). Most hatcherys cut the heads off the bucks and throw them in the river for nutrients. If a fish is green ( not ready to shoot eggs) they usually release them down river and let them swim up to the hatchery again, or throw them in a pond like junction city pond for people to catch.
With wild fish they take a small sample off eggs and small samples of sperm to breed other fish, then release them with the rest of their eggs to spawn naturally.
I have volenterred at hatcherys a few times and this is always what they do.
They cut the heads off the bucks so fish counters know which fish died of natural causes and which ones died from rhe hatchery decapation method.
Just a little fyi lesson.

S
spark
Well, I got how to get Dam hole. Just follow Trask River Rd, and get 7mile post. In the meantime, I'm willing to hike there. so which side is better above the hatchery for fishing? Trask River Rd side? or the other side?

Last edited: