No bait! No bait!! No bait!!

R
rippin fish lips
:whistle:Go pick up a couple Regulation books! If you can't find them, ask people about them. Get em at Wal-mart, bi-mart and any other fishing store out there.

READ YOUR REGS......................... Tired of seeing people fishing bait in a (no bait) zone. Too many of them out there this year. I have let many many people know about it this year, i have read the regs strait out of my head for those who are fishing bait in a (no bait) section. I have picked up the phone a couple times already, and basicly had OSP say okay to my request and not do nuthin about it.

Maybe they have because i am starting to see more sherrifs and troopers at the ramps in the no bait areas. The troopers are up an down the river, pulling into leaberg and just driving out most of the time.

If i see someone fishing bait, i will pick up the phone if they dont switch over to artificails after i let them know about the regs.

Be aware people!!

This is from page #52 in the reg book. regarding the Mckenzie river....

Mckenzie river from mouth upstream to (HAYDEN BRIDGE) OR Hayden bridge downstream.

~Open for trout all year (catch and release only)
~Angling IS restricted to (ARTIFICIAL FLIES AND LURED ONLY)

~ Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon; adipose fin-clipped steelhead; and non-adipose fin-clipped steelhead greater than 24 inches all year

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayden Bridge upstream to HendricksBridge (see separate entry for Walterville Canal)

----- Trout Regulations

~Open for trout all year, catch and release only

~Open for retention of adipose fin-clipped trout April 27 - Oct.31, 5 adipose fin-clipped trout per day, no min length.

~Non-adipose fin-clipped trout must be released unharmed

~Note: Trout are not stocked below Hendricks Bridge, adipose fin-clipped trout originate
from stocked areas upstream

----- Salmon and steelhead Regulations

~Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon , adipose fin-clipped steelhead and non-adipose fin-clipped steelhead greater than 24 inches all year

----- Special Gear Restrictions and Closures:

~Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures all year except bait is allowed May 1 - June 15 when angling for salmon and steelhead with hooks 5/8-inch gap or larger.

Cmon people, i know you may be new, but it aint that hard to find a regulation book when there are millions around the city!

If you want to fish bait for trout/salmon or steelhead, you need to go above Hendricks bridge on the mac, or go fish the willy all the way from dexter damn down to the Beltline bridge.

They willy is your bait spot in the City. NOT THE MAC. Play the game right, play it safe, or get busted by OSP, ODFW, or LCS.

Last edited:
J
joem
you can use corkis and yarn and lead and jigs and stuff but no bait like plastics and well bait haha but unless it is a designated fly zone like on the umpqua you can use that stuff. and you can also use scents. ive called and read it i know it all haha but yeah people just dont care at times, and sometimes the cops dont either.

R
rippin fish lips
rippin fish lips said:
----- Special Gear Restrictions and Closures:

~Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures all year except bait is allowed May 1 - June 15 when angling for salmon and steelhead with hooks 5/8-inch gap or larger. Also, you must have your lead no more then 6 feet above your hook.

So if you are fishing bait from hendricks bridge down stream RIGHT NOW. You are ILLEGAL. UNLESS fishing for salmon/steelhead with a 5/8ths" gap or larger in (hendricks to bellingers) May 1rst through june 15th, then you are legal.

If you are fishing BAIT RIGHT NOW AND FOREVER ON... from Bellingers down stream to the confluence...

You are Fishing ILLEGALLY!!

R
rippin fish lips
joem said:
you can use corkis and yarn and lead and jigs and stuff but no bait like plastics and well bait haha but unless it is a designated fly zone like on the umpqua you can use that stuff. and you can also use scents. ive called and read it i know it all haha but yeah people just dont care at times, and sometimes the cops dont either.

Okay, so i stand corrected about the Lead, corkie n yarn thing in a no bait zone. ( was optomistic about that). and yeah, scents are not considered bait.

J
joem
rippin fish lips said:
Okay, so i stand corrected about the Lead, corkie n yarn thing in a no bait zone. ( was optomistic about that). and yeah, scents are not considered bait.

yeah i think the yarn thing is because fly fishermen use them glo bug things like a mini yarn ball and corki aint really bait, but a foam poof ball is. a lot of it dont make since as to how they determine things, i think it is more of a thing you can hook to and remove from the hook as bait. i could tie a fly looking thing that looks like a worm put worm scent on it and drift it.

R
rippin fish lips
Yeah. Well i only posted this to look out for the people who don't know. and for those of you who know the regs, but continue to fish bait in the lower river. Your sad.

But in all honesty. This is just a reminder to all the new timers out there.

Not to mention, i made this post, and Reported the people who are doing it, because the redsides are becoming very abundent in this section. And not to mention, the whole entire lower mac is kicking out bull trout for those who put there time in it.

Bull trout and reds are making an obvious comeback.

B
bran_man
Almost every time I fish armitage I catch someone down there using bait.most of the time its just a muggle (lol) that doesn't know any better.its always better to read the regs than getting a ticket! They don't care if you didn't read the regs our didn't know any better! Ha ha

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
Almost every time I fish armitage I catch someone down there using bait.most of the time its just a muggle (lol) that doesn't know any better.its always better to read the regs than getting a ticket! They don't care if you didn't read the regs our didn't know any better! Ha ha

RIGHT!? Every time i go to Armitage, harvest, or hayden, bellingers, someone is fishing bait...

J
joem
rippin fish lips said:
RIGHT!? Every time i go to Armitage, harvest, or hayden, bellingers, someone is fishing bait...

redsides used to be really abundent until they let people fish all year long, during the spawning time for redsides and bull trout. if they cut that off i believe they will all make a comeback. but people not reading the rules will get whats coming. are they keeping the natives also? i wouldnt imagine some one fishing bait not planning to keep them unless steelhead fishing.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
joem said:
are they keeping the natives also? i wouldnt imagine some one fishing bait not planning to keep them unless steelhead fishing.

They sure are... Every yeat at harvest there is fish heads guts. Nothin but native trout! So far this year i walked up on 10 fish heads and a 14" bow, laying dead at the ramp. NATIVE ALSO.

The dude that keeps them at harvest likes to bait fish for the steelhead smolts when they release em. He told me he keeps them and fries them up. I told him the regs and how i felt about it, he got mad and left and argued a little, but i stood my ground to make it happen. He didn't like it, but i did. Got the bait flinger out of there for now...

And i know of over 11 bull trout caught on the lower mac so far this year. I caught 3, my buddy caught 4, and i saw pics and heard of the rest from honest people. 1 of them is on the caddis fly blog page. All from Leaberg down to Armitage. They are comin back....

Last edited:
T
Tinker
Nice to see someone who will actually challenge another angler and report a violation, RFL. People tend to be afraid of the other angler and will let it go on. Even of OSP didn't repond, you did The Right Thing. Damn near heroic, it seems. :cool:

I'd double-check what ODFW says during a simple phone call. They were right this time, but in my personal experience, they're batting average is .333 unless you can get past the person who answers the phone. Nicest folks I ever talked with, but not always 100% right.

We moved out of Oregon when I was 12. Back for a year now, and this time I'm at an age where I'm the one who has to know the Regs. Have to carry the book with me whenever I go further than my immediate area to find out what I can and cannot do on a river or lake that's new to me. It can get confusing.

Maybe that's what you're seeing? Confused anglers or folk too lazy to stay up-to-date? I hope so. I thought of Oregon as the Golden Promised Land and couldn't wait to get back here for nearly 50 years. Bummer to think that maybe it has as many slobs as the last place I lived.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, and SHOUT all you want about this stuff!

What does "LCS" stand for?

hobster
hobster
bran_man said:

Yeah I know what you mean. It sucks because I think more people are just not informing themselves and do it by accident. Seems someone is always baitfishing down there or I see bait rigs laying around. I've made comments a couple of times and once these 2 old timers looked at me like I was an idiot and looked away without saying a word. I was out on deerhorn yesterday and ran into a family who was keeping trout and they didn't even know what a fin clipped fish was. I explained it to them and luckily they only had 1 on the stringer and it was a hatchery. He thought they clipped the dorsal fin:shock:. Nicest guy in the world but just didn't know the regs.
On the bright side I caught the most trout ever on a spinner. Was trying for steel and the trout kept hitting my #4 blue fox so I decided to have a little fun and busted out the trout rod and a smaller spinner. I NEVER use a spinner but Brandon inspired me at Leaburg earlier in the week so I thought i'd give it a shot. I swung it through holes I thought held fish and got a hit almost every 1st cast in a new hole. What a blast!! I may enjoy this spinner thing, thought you'd dig that Tanner.

B
bran_man
Heck yeah dude! That's awesome