New to steelheading on the Clackamas.

W
WillamiteNewbie
I'm a new angler took this year to just sit back and take in as much information as i could on the fish species that don't require tags. Now this upcoming year i'm looking to go for much bigger fish, mainly steelhead. I fish the clackamas a lot since it's like right behind my house. I don't know a whole lot on how to fish for these big guys/girls haha. This last year hooked into two steelies but couldn't land them, was using a number 3 spinner i believe but i was just bull s***ing around with my new found hobbie and cool spinners i got. So i know they go for spinners. how should i approach this new territory of fishing? any information helps a bunch.

N
neverbackdown7
Well, if you're just fishing for trout now just make sure to check the regs if you're keeping them. As for steelhead, you're going to want to invest in a decent 8'6 to 9'6 rod and depending on your preference a spinning or baitcasting reel. Sounds like you're comfortable with a spinning reel since you mentioned spinners. Anyways, then you'll want to spool on some 12 pound test at least and learn some knots like the egg loop. From there, get size 2/0 hooks, good quality ones. Then you can get bait such as sand shrimp, prawns, or eggs. The easiest way to start steelhead fishing is either float or spinner fishing but your best bet in winter would be float fishing. These are just the basics hope it helped.

W
WillamiteNewbie
Float fishing? what is that? with a slip bobber or something? or is it drift fishing?

B
bran_man
Float fishing is with a bobber. quite a few ways to set it up. the three main ways to steelhead fish are drift, float and spoon/spinners. you can also try plunking for them. and sorry but I disagree with neverbackdown. I think 12lb test is a little overkill. Maybe just as your mainline but with a lighter test leader. Especially during this.time.of year when water is low and clear, the lighter your tackle is, the less visible it will be to the fish in the water and every little bit helps and can make a big difference when it comes to steelhead. I usually use 8 or 10lb test and 2/0 hooks are way huge and too big. for steelhead! I barely even use them for salmon . I usually use 2 or 1 size hooks. just know the difference between 1s and 1/0s and 2s and 2/0s I usually use owner or matzou. brand hooks. just try different things until you find what works for you the best and what is most fun for you to do and the fish will start coming in time :)

T
troutmasta
WillamiteNewbie said:
Float fishing? what is that? with a slip bobber or something? or is it drift fishing?

I agree with Bran Man, 12 pound is a little heavy especially when the water is clearer. The water clarity is very impotant!! right now it hasnt rained in 2,000 years so the water is super clear. I was salmon fishin this morning with 10 pound main 8 pound leader. In the summer espicially upriver on the clack 8pound leader for sure. Get a long rod that can absorb the shock of the fish and keep your drag light. These arent trout and if you play your fish properly with a good hook set it may take some time but you will bank it quite often. The most important lesson I still havent learned is be patient bringing in your fish. I horsed my fish this morning had it banked went to grab it and it still had a load of energy left. Once they start flopping out of the water that hook is falling out as it did. Bye bye first coho of the year. None the less, be patient. I also think for steelies usually like a sie 2 hook it plenty. I may use a 1 with bobber and eggs but corkie yarn, jig fishin 2 is plenty. Bobber and jig is very productive on that river as well, Dark colors for summers red, blak, purple, blue, and pretty colors for winter peach, purple, pink, white, orange.
PM me for any questions, Maybe we can go slay a few together. Good Luck!

N
neverbackdown7
The way he said it I assumed he'd be starting in the winter season as its the tail end of the summer run. I meant 12 pound test mainline, just trying to help out. Looks like my advice is out voted you might want to follow theirs I guess haha.

T
troutmasta
neverbackdown7 said:
The way he said it I assumed he'd be starting in the winter season as its the tail end of the summer run. I meant 12 pound test mainline, just trying to help out. Looks like my advice is out voted you might want to follow theirs I guess haha.
Its good advice and a great place to start. no offense meant. Ive used 12 before. when its high thick water sometimes its best. I was speaking in general terms. Its just a lot some of the time. Its good to help and most advice is good advice.

N
neverbackdown7
Oh don't worry about me lol I'm not offended I'm still pretty much a newbie myself lol

W
waco
Assuming you are talking winter steelhead since the summer run is about done! I'll use #12 main line and 10#or #8 leader depending on clarity!

O
osmosis
The summers have been rather hungry lately and have been jumpin on the spinners and spoons last several trips for me. A nightcrawler under a float could do some damage when it starts to rain.
Those #3 and #4 spinners are what I generally throw, with a few 5's in some odd spots.

Develop an understanding of water heights and run timing, as those will be your best friend after you've been at it a couple years.

I use #10 mono main and #8 mono leader year round on the clackamas for steelhead, Often #15 mono leaders for springers.