Need a second opinion!

S
Sawyer_Smith
image.jpgHow much do you guys on here think this fish weighs?

S
Sawyer_Smith
Please take into consideration that the picture doesn't really do it justice this is a good sized native I just wanted to get a average weight of what you guys think. thank you

F
FishFinger
That's a beautiful Nate. I'd estimate around 15 lbs

S
Sawyer_Smith
To be honest with you I had guessed about 18 because I had caught a hatchery 17lbs buck that we weighed and this nate made it look tiny

S
Sawyer_Smith
Thanks Eugene I'll definitely put a tape in my back pack right now

W
waco

O
OnTheDrop
If you want to give steelys a ball park estimate go with every inch over 20" a pound...Of course it's not a definitive way but I've done it multiple times and it's usually within a few pounds. Of course, some are more thin, and some are more girthy.

BTW- It doesn't get better than a nightmare jig in low water...Well, besides a bead.. : )

Good catch,

jamisonace
jamisonace
11 lb Steel.jpg

I weighed this fish in the net and it was 11lbs. From the picture, it looks very similar to yours. Pictures can be deceiving.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
15 lbs.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I was going to guess 12 or 13 lbs. Nice fish!

S
SteelyDan's
I'd say 15 maybe a little bigger. Nice fish for sure. Pretty thick belly and looks 37" or so.

M
Mad dog
steelhead_stalkers said:
I was going to guess 12 or 13 lbs. Nice fish!

Yep!!! :thumb:

D
dozer365
im going with 14.5-16. fish looks pre spawn an fat an has shoulder. either way nice fish. hope it swam strong so it can make lil babies for us to enjoy. good catch and thank you for what appears to be decent handling of a native beauty

D
dozer365
jamisonace said:
I weighed this fish in the net and it was 11lbs. From the picture, it looks very similar to yours. Pictures can be deceiving.

no shoulders or fat spilling over your hand on the belly. and the yellowing of the skin looks like it might have spawned already. hard to judge from pics like you said. regardless that is a pig.... nice fish... did it swim well after being netted and getting your pic? not trying to be mean.... some situations those fish co-operate well and it isn't stressful compared to other times with other fish. ive had fish go so crazy that isn't safe to try to get a pic, and others it is like the y have been through it before and know they are going back in the drink

T
troutmasta
good 13

S
Sawyer_Smith
Dozer I don't like to use nets one because I'm a bank fisherman I'm only 18 and don't have a boat yet and also I feel they are a little more stressful on fish. And yes this fish took off like a rocket and soaked me with water!