More chrome!

B
Berg03
Got this nice hen on Friday, caught 2 more and handed one of them off to a buddy. Was a good day for me!

T
troutmasta
I love salt and pepper kettle chips! Nice hen too!

You should get a food saver- that stuff will stay fresh for a year-

Tight Lines-

T
TimberTodd
Nice fillets Berg! X2 on the Food Saver, they are great.

B
Berg03
those are vacuum sealed bags. So they will last for a while.

B
BaldTexan
Nice chromer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
pinstriper
troutmasta said:
I love salt and pepper kettle chips! Nice hen too!

You should get a food saver- that stuff will stay fresh for a year-

Tight Lines-

My Bitter Half just bartered with a friend and we now have a seal-a-meal (which I remember seeing an infomercial about these in 1986 - no really 19 f'in 86 !!!)

Is that better or worse than a food saver ? Or does brand not really matter ?

T
TimberTodd
Berg03 said:
those are vacuum sealed bags. So they will last for a while.

Berg, are those the food saver ziplock style bags? I have been curious how they perform.

T
troutmasta
pinstriper said:
My Bitter Half just bartered with a friend and we now have a seal-a-meal (which I remember seeing an infomercial about these in 1986 - no really 19 f'in 86 !!!)

The machines all work the same. Food Saver brand bags are nicer IMO-

T
TimberTodd
pinstriper said:

Cannot comment to the Seal- A-Meal units, but I do like the Food Saver. Hopefully the 1986 Seal-A-Meal came with the complimentary 1986 cassette GREATEST HAIRBANDS OF THE 80s.:)

C_Run
C_Run
We have had a Food Saver for four years that stills works great. They make their money selling you the bags, though.:sad: Anyone use the generic bags in a Food Saver? I have not tried that yet.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that is a beautiful fish and nice to hear you got more...

I'm doing something new this year- ice glazed, vacuum sealed salmon.

1- prepare fish as usual, for us that means for each fish: a tail roast, a collar roast, 2 belly strips, and fillets.
2- place each piece of fish on wax paper on a cookie sheet in the chest freezer for at least 2 hours.
3- put a tub of water with ice cubes in it into the freezer for like half an hour to get really cold.
4- hand dip each piece of fish in to the very cold water, let water drain OFF, back on cookie sheet...
5- repeat so that each piece gets 2 dips and the result is a thin glaze of ice on the fish.
6- vacuum seal the ice glazed fish.

I can say that the above process works great, each piece of fish gets a thin glaze of ice just like what you might get from commercially processed fish sold at Costco...I will know next year whether the fish frozen this way is better after 9 to 12 months in the freezer.

My next experiment, once I get some Siltcoos coho to process, is to ice glaze the pieces and then not individually vacuum seal them, just put them into a big ziplock and store in the freezer that way. if that fish stores well for like 6 months it would reduce the amount of vacuum seal bag rolls that I need to buy...

B
Berg03
I have been using the the vacuum sealed bags for years... Never had a problem with them before. All my salmon will be eaten before 6 months even gets close to coming. Hell those slabs will be eaten before a month in time. Not gonna waste my money on expensive bags when theya rent needed.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Great looking fish. Sounds like it was a good day.

My tip, not that you asked...

Wrap fish in plastic wrap first and you won't get juice into the seal. I'm assuming that's paper towel in the bag. I used to do that until I was told to try the plastic wrap idea.

T
TimberTodd
[QUOTE=jamisonace;332929 Wrap fish in plastic wrap first and you won't get juice into the seal.

Great tip.

S
sapo
If you're planning to eat the fish in the first month or two, no need to waste a vacuum seal bag or even seal it..ziplock bags work just fine. If you're not planning to eat it in the first month or two, vacuum seal.

jamisonace
jamisonace
For that matter, why waste a ziplock. Just use plastic wrap and it will seal it better.

sapo said:
If you're planning to eat the fish in the first month or two, no need to waste a vacuum seal bag or even seal it..ziplock bags work just fine. If you're not planning to eat it in the first month or two, vacuum seal.

S
sapo
Ya lol

H
Hookset
awesome fish

F
Fish
Beauty fish, eh!