Maybe not the best place for this but

plumbertom
plumbertom
I'm wondering about the combined tag Vs the Hatchery tag.
As I dead it, and I may well be interpreting it completely wrong, with the Hatchery tag allows the take of both salmon and steelhead with a clipped adipose fin in any water where they are open.
The combined Tag allows both fin clipped and wild steelhead/salmon in any water where they are open.
I'm wondering whether it's wiser to buy one as opposed to the other, in all y'alls opinion.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
you are required to buy the combined tag first, you need it to even fish for salmon/steelhead/sturgeon/halibut. It allows you to tag 20 salmon/steelhead and it is the only tag that you can use for wild fish that you are allowed to retain.

the Hatchery is an extra tag you can choose to also buy once you have the Combined tag; each one allows 10 hatchery salmon/steelhead to be tagged on it and you can keep buying them as needed.

Reactions: Iki Jime
plumbertom
plumbertom
rogerdodger said:
you are required to buy the combined tag first, you need it to even fish for salmon/steelhead/sturgeon/halibut. It allows you to tag 20 salmon/steelhead and it is the only tag that you can use for wild fish that you are allowed to retain.

the Hatchery is an extra tag you can choose to also buy once you have the Combined tag; each one allows 10 hatchery salmon/steelhead to be tagged on it and you can keep buying them as needed.
Okay, that clears that up.

S
Steelheader4Life
plumbertom said:
Okay, that clears that up.

I buy a hatchery tag at the beginning of every year so I can keep the spots on my combined tag for native fall fish.

Irishrover
Irishrover
rogerdodger said:

Spot on.....you must have a combined tag to purchase a harvest tag. It's a great tool for ocean and the B`10 fishery especially in those years where we have excellent hatchery returns of Coho.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Steelheader4Life said:
I buy a hatchery tag at the beginning of every year so I can keep the spots on my combined tag for native fall fish.
That's fine if you can afford it. My main reason for asking was to see if I could save a few bucks to use elsewhere.
Add to that, I've bought two combined tags for two years now and I've managed to fill exactly two spaces with steelhead on the first one and zero on the second.