Lookout is terrible bank fishing lake

usmc-recon
so far I have fished it 2 times. for total of 11 hrs. only one bite and that was a 21" carp:think: thats it no other bites I fished up by dam down to the only ramp open on lookout. spending hours at each location tried worms,eggs, meal worms, ect hell even powerbait not to mention countless spoons,kastmasters and roosters of all colors. perfect day to fish overcast and all but nothing anyway just thought i would give the bank fishing report lol
 
UGLYSTICKER
usmc-recon said:
so far I have fished it 2 times. for total of 11 hrs. only one bite and that was a 21" carp:think: thats it no other bites I fished up by dam down to the only ramp open on lookout. spending hours at each location tried worms,eggs, meal worms, ect hell even powerbait not to mention countless spoons,kastmasters and roosters of all colors. perfect day to fish overcast and all but nothing anyway just thought i would give the bank fishing report lol

i was at lookout yesterday afternoon to visit some campers at ivan oaks campground.
its too full to fish from the bank unless you aready know a hotspot. i think the best way to find a hotspot would be to troll it. it was better years ago when it was only halffull.
 
usmc-recon
UGLYSTICKER said:
i was at lookout yesterday afternoon to visit some campers at ivan oaks campground.
its too full to fish from the bank unless you aready know a hotspot. i think the best way to find a hotspot would be to troll it. it was better years ago when it was only halffull.

I was woundering about that. Just looks like good bass/crappie habitat I figured trout would be spread out lil more ill wait till it gets drawn down a bit and try again only reasion I went there is proximity from my house. Dexter seems to be full of nothing but dang pike minnow I've caught 30+ the last couple times. Stupid question but I caught what I believe to be a carp it was gold with huge lips thought it was sucker but never seen a gold one. I tried to upload pic but couldent see how to do it darn rookie! Lol
 
UGLYSTICKER
usmc-recon said:
I was woundering about that. Just looks like good bass/crappie habitat I figured trout would be spread out lil more ill wait till it gets drawn down a bit and try again only reasion I went there is proximity from my house. Dexter seems to be full of nothing but dang pike minnow I've caught 30+ the last couple times. Stupid question but I caught what I believe to be a carp it was gold with huge lips thought it was sucker but never seen a gold one. I tried to upload pic but couldent see how to do it darn rookie! Lol

i never caught anything there except the occaisonal 9 or 10" trout on the upstream end by hampton but one of my buddies says he used to catch nice kokanee or coho and bullheads from the dam years ago. i'll call him tommorow to findout. there's a rumour that lookout will be a excellent smallmouth bass lake in a few years.
don't know about dexter but i hear they have pikeminnow derbys there. they tag a few for catch and reward.
i'd like to see what you caught...years ago i used to catch huge suckers with bright orange lips on the willy near beltline damn they were gross.
 
Last edited:
usmc-recon
UGLYSTICKER said:
i never caught anything there except the occaisonal 9 or 10" trout on the upstream end by hampton but one of my buddies says he used to catch nice kokanee or coho and bullheads from the dam years ago. i'll call him tommorow to findout. there's a rumour that lookout will be a excellent smallmouth bass lake in a few years.
don't know about dexter but i hear they have pikeminnow derbys there. they tag a few for catch and reward.
i'd like to see what you caught...years ago i used to catch huge suckers with bright orange lips on the willy near beltline damn they were gross.

Theirs allot of rumors about lookout from the 15+ pd trout to the 16 inch crappies and the walleye that's sposed be in their who knows whats true and whats bs. I would believe the smallnouth part it looks like good habitat lots open water with rediculous amount of cover ie stumps, ledges ect good habitat in my opinion and I'm just getting back into fishing after long break so I'm a bit rusty lol. Thanks for your input I was really disappointed in it right now. Oh as far as Dexter on the one hand the stupid pike minnow is terrible they eat smaller fish destroy spawn beds and just overall can ruin a fishery in short amount of time but on the other when they bite they can be allot of fun pretty strong for their size just use worms on the bottom my biggest was 18 inches kinda dumb and pointless I spose but I guess odfw runs a drift net of sorts 2 times week sorts pm from the game fish retain pm to sell as crab bait up in portland I haven't caught any suckers in many years.
 
usmc-recon
wow went back today just for hell with it i think those rumors are bs lol caught 7 more damn carp and guy in pontoon caught 4 place is crawling with carp
 
UGLYSTICKER
usmc-recon said:
wow went back today just for hell with it i think those rumors are bs lol caught 7 more damn carp and guy in pontoon caught 4 place is crawling with carp

lol, well one thing i know is true...lookout is a giant carp hole now,LOL!, i hope you killed every damn one of them you caught they are about the most worthless trash fish there is. i actually tried eating one years ago and decided never to try it again,YUCK!!!

no offense intended if any carp lovers read this post .
 
usmc-recon
Yup smashed their heads in damn vermon they are shhhhh don't tell carpers! Always wounderd how they tasted but ill take your word for it lol so eather those people telling those storys have a needle in their arm or their tape measure is off lol
 
TTFishon
I like Lookout.....Just need to know where to go and I can't wait for the water to start receding. Curious.....what'd you do with those carp after you killed them? Hope you didn't leave em on the bank to rot for someone's dog to find later or pollute someone else's trip there.
 
usmc-recon
That's funny you ask but if Ya need to know I freeze and sell as crab/crawfish bait.
 
TTFishon
That's awesome dude! :)
 
UGLYSTICKER
usmc-recon said:
Yup smashed their heads in damn vermon they are shhhhh don't tell carpers! Always wounderd how they tasted but ill take your word for it lol so eather those people telling those storys have a needle in their arm or their tape measure is off lol

yeah too many carp but i have no doubts about tons of other fish there. i might work it over with plastic worms next year or maybe this year if i can get out of the planted trout mode.

carp has a strange flavor almost kind of nausiating but the worst thing about it is it's full of bones way more bones than trout or bass.
 
JiggyD
2011-08-05102752.jpg This is the fish usmc-recon is saying is a carp. I'm thinking more along the lines of a sucker. I'm pretty sure this is what I've always called a sucker. What say ye, fishermen?
 
TTFishon
Yep, that's a sucker and I believe they are a native species.
 
usmc-recon
Oh sorry guys I just assumed it was carp never caught a carp before I didn't think it was a sucker because the ones at hills creek res I caught as kid were all white I apologize for mis identification I know know
 
Drew9870
Jeez, the old "I thought it was a Carp, it had a sucker mouth", along with the old "kill 'em, as if it's going to do any good".

Residing in Salem, how did I even know that Lookout contains no Carp?

The "I" word shows itself again.

usmc-recon said:
That's funny you ask but if Ya need to know I freeze and sell as crab/crawfish bait.

P.S. You are licensed to sell your catch right? Pretty sure one also has to be approved by ODFW to vend fish caught from our waters (not positive, but if it were the case, I'm sure they wouldn't just give it to anyone).
 
Last edited:
usmc-recon
Drew9870 said:
Jeez, the old "I thought it was a Carp, it had a sucker mouth", along with the old "kill 'em, as if it's going to do any good".

Residing in Salem, how did I even know that Lookout contains no Carp?

The "I" word shows itself again.




P.S. You are licensed to sell your catch right? Pretty sure one also has to be approved by ODFW to vend fish caught from our waters (not positive, but if it were the case, I'm sure they wouldn't just give it to anyone).

Carp or not it dosent really matter their bolth trash fish and will be delt like such each and every time I catch them oh wise one. Oh I'm sorry i am a bit rusty was buizy serving my country and lost my edge yes I said "I" if you couldn't figure out I ment that's my understanding. Oh and NOPE "no license required as long as its not for human consumption" you must of mist the part that was described as CRAB/crawfish bait in your rant of fury so exscuse me for confusing the too TRASH fish so leave your attitude at home with your lunchbox! I spose you c&r pike minnows too lol
 
Drew9870
Pretty sure it is not legal to sell Salmon Roe (for bait purposes) unless one has some kind of permit, I don't see why the same rules wouldn't apply with a whole/cut fish carcass regardless of species, I wasn't sure about the whole ''DFW approved'' comment, might make sense because of Blue Green Algae and other issues. We'd probably be seeing a lot of different people around the boat ramps dispensing Crab bait if it was so easy.

I have heard many times that fresh land mammals seem to work better than aquatic life for Crab bait, but that can always be an opinionated debait :).

All that aside, how many spots on the Res. have you fished? How many methods have you used? If you are catching Suckers and Pikeminnow, maybe you are fishing weedy/muddy frog water. Not trying to be offensive, but trying to point out the fact that you can get into an area with a constant food source for the fish and key in on that spot with the right methods.

Squawfish, I release unless I am catching them constantly (4-5+), but see, I have the right to not go on any further with that subject :D.

Thank you for serving our country by the way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brandon4455
UGLYSTICKER
Drew9870 said:
Residing in Salem, how did I even know that Lookout contains no Carp?

you don't know. don't be surprised if i catch a carp AKA Cyprinus carpio at lookout:lol:
 
Thuggin4Life
I neve had good luck bank fishing any of the local reservoirs. I do however have great luck ussing my boat. sometimes its trickery than others once the lake is full and the water temp shoots up. I have heard many rumors for the lake this is what i know... here are big trout and landlocked chinook salmon in the lake to be caught but ussually most of us just get the small ones. I seem to get into the slightly bigger than average trout but i have my local trolling methods down to a science. there are bass to be had along with crappie and i would asume some gills. walleye yes but very rare and then the everage bottom fish. If you pulled a carp out of there it wouldn't suprise me. can't wait for the lake to receded and the temp to drop. hopefully im not to busy salmon fishing to miss out on the fall trout action in the receding local reservoirs. the biggest problem with lookout is just its massive size and huge volume of water. good luck bank fishing I dont like to bait the bottom or cast a lure into the ocean so I take my boat and troll away.
 
Top Bottom