Recommendations for bank fishing. Please help a noob!

F
fallenangelfyre
Hello all,

So I grew up trout fishing in the high lakes and coastal lakes with my grandpa and brother as a kid. Moved out of state for a long time, and recently moved back. Since I've moved back to beautiful Oregon I've been wanting to get outdoors and experience all the goodness, and as my dad gave me my grandpa's old pole and reel (he passed), I thought taking up fishing again would be a great way to get outside and honor my grandpa at the same time.

I cruised craigslist for some used equipment and picked up some new. I basically have two medium action poles with spin reels and a fairly basic tackle box setup. I have no boat, so must stick to bank fishing. On the advice of a friend I tried Fall Creek Res today. First of all, it was beautiful, clear & sunny. Actually got a little sweaty hot after 2pm. I got there at about 10am, drove down the Winberry Creek Rd on the South side of the res, past the sky camp and found a little trail that led down to a nice little cove. The entire res was quiet with only one boat trolling, until about 1pm when five or six ski boats started zipping around. I fished that cove for a solid six hours trying worms, powerbait, salmon eggs, and soft plastics. Not even one bite. I also lost a fair amount of tackle to the weeds. So for the last hour I tried something my friend from the midwest taught me. I believe it's called a "Texas Rig". It basically hides the hook in a soft plastic worm so as to not get caught on anything. After I rigged that way I didn't lose any more tackle, but still no bites.

So, any advice for a nooby? Any certain places to try bank fishing? Especially on Fall Creek as it's fairly close. Any certain rigging? Lures?

On a side note, I've also tried fishing off the banks just down from the Leaburg Damn close to a boat launch on the McKenzie. Again, it was beautiful. But again, no bites and lost some tackle to the rocks.

Any and all advice is very appreciated!

F
FishStalkerDave
I am not in the area, but preparing to move there some time in January - March. Though I don't know about spots, I know about species targeting, what are you aiming for species wise? Trout? Salmon? Bass? Sometimes you need to research the areas you go to and see what has been caught there, or the check the department of fish and wildlife website for a general species description in the bodies of water they have listed.

Another thing, technique, timing, and lure/bait choice is key to being a productive angler. Watch some you tube videos especially look for ones that people made in your area, and mimic things that work for them. Slowly you will build a arsenal of skills, baits, and lures. I wish you all the luck, I'll be in the same newbie boat soon enough in Portland, but luckily I'll be bringing a large array of baits and skills I've acquired from fishing in CA and AZ. And a little from WA, but that's just salmon fishing.

PK Yi
PK Yi
always check the trout stocking schedule for the place you're going to at the ODFW site. trout are easy to catch from the bank, and boat/raft. for bank, I recommend powerbaits -- specifically the "floating" kind. tie a #6 or #8 hook on with a slip sinker. you want to make sure the bait floats off the ground. I also prefer berkley gulp as they tend to land me more fish; but, to each his own.

I've fish all over, but leaburg dam ("above" the dam) to be the best bank fishing for trout. it has a current so you want to cast upstream a little bit. they are always stocking it, so you're almost guaranteed fish. other places to trout fish: e.e. wilson pond, walter wirth lake, foster reservoir, junction city pond, and the freeway lakes in albany are good places.

good luck.

C
coyo7e
I've had pretty bad luck with Gulp! prducts in that as soon as I open the package the juice gets into all my damned gear. Their resealable bags are garbage and I've begun putting the whole bag into regular ziplocs as soon as I open them. :(

As for rigging, the Carolina Rig is super popular for trout - especially if you're in a smaller and warmer body of water, as they may be hugging the bottom where it's nice and cool while the sun's high.

I'd lose to get some tips on spots to try from the bank around Fall Creek as well though, I had a great time camping along the river out there last year (around Broken Bowl, if I remember the name of one of the campgrounds correctly,) and would like to try fishing the lake the next time I head out there.

H
HVFishing
I went to Fall Creek Reservoir... about the same place you probably fished... near the bridge that passes over to the campground?
Anyway, it was slow for me too... but I did manage to get a bite, partially set the hook... and right as I got the fish (looked like a rainbow) to the shore, he bounced his way off the hook. Didn't get the net in time... :-(
Anyway, I also wanted to mention that you should try out Blue River Reservoir up on Hwy 126. I went out there and had great success off the bridge before you get to the Mona campgrounds turnoff. I caught about 8 decent sized Rainbow there off a splitshot rigging and worm. I had the best results when I took my bobber off, by the way.
I also caught one with a gold Blue Fox spinner.
I'm going to check out Alton-Baker Canal too... which I've read on here is stocked regularly.
Good luck!