Largest springer passage this decade!!!!

S
stream2.5
i rarelly mark any actual fish on the water while springer fishing, due to shallow depths and narrow cone angle and last weekend i probably saw 50 fish on the graph... there are fish in the rivers.... they are just smart enough to not be in the rivers tuesday.... i just wasn't lucky enough to retain thhe 3 hits i had to bring food home...

K
Kodiak
Hey, if I made a UV reflective coating to help preserve the structural integrity of the gill nets if it would help?

R
rainman
Now, that there is a right fine idear !!

K
Kodiak
So I was doing a little research about springer passage over willamette falls. It seams the old time "could walk across the river on thier backs" is just a load of garbage. The ten year average for springer passage is only 47,000 and change, the 50 yr average only 37,000. Have we all been spoiled rotten by the 2000-2003 epic returns? I mean they were record years after all. So it turns out this march with 327 springers over the falls is indeed the largest spring chinook passage for the month of march this decade. Lets hope it continues!

S
SantiamDrifter
I think it has to do with the good ocean conditons the last couple of years. It started with last years coho and steelhead returns. Now its the springers, they predicted the fall nooks to be high too. These next few years should be great fishing. Kinda like the 2000-2003 spurt. Lets just hope it all comes together.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Lookin' ahead to go for the Steelies and Nooks

Lookin' ahead to go for the Steelies and Nooks

When the Middle Fork below Dexter cleans up, I am gone. :yay:

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Not sure about you guys, but 2004 was completely insane!! 30-40 fish days were common. I wonder if we'll ever see that again?

M
metalfisher76
Mike123 said:
Not sure about you guys, but 2004 was completely insane!! 30-40 fish days were common. I wonder if we'll ever see that again?

0 fooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D it rocked

L
LilCorky
There was over 95,000 over the falls in 2004. I hope there is a good run as I live above the Falls. However not everyone understands the number the game commision puts out. The 75,000 number they have put up is counting all the fish that come into the Willamette which go up the Clackamas for sure and some other Rivers most likley. The rest go over the Falls. So if their prediction is correct it is not a record run. Maybe average or below.

T
Troutier Bassier
I hope I atleast get one springer this season...

K
Kodiak
LilCorky said:
There was over 95,000 over the falls in 2004. I hope there is a good run as I live above the Falls. However not everyone understands the number the game commision puts out. The 75,000 number they have put up is counting all the fish that come into the Willamette which go up the Clackamas for sure and some other Rivers most likley. The rest go over the Falls. So if their prediction is correct it is not a record run. Maybe average or below.

Initally the projected run over willamette falls 120,000 this year. they down graded the willamette run to 67,000 because they didn't want a major disappointment like they had last year on the columbia.

M
Mike123
One summer out of the small bunch is now dead thanks to my lucky $1 spoons. :D Pics to come shortly.

K
Kodiak
You should be picking off some springers at waterloo in the barrel hole by now. But ya, there are summers from foster to the confluences. You guys are lucky, get your fish two or three weeks before we do!

M
Mike123
The river is BLOWN too... or else I would be in the barrel hole. ;) Water was about 1ft of visibility today.

K
Kodiak
So I was looking at the falls counts again today...from what I can tell we are +900 fish over the same date for '02 and '03. Looking like we will never catch '04 but are well on tract to have an amazing up river fishery this year. We are having new moon tides this week so should get huge pushes of fish in the next few days plus the water is at the holy of hollies...54 deg. F!!!!!! Do NOT STAND IN FRONT OF THE FALLS! Taking a beating from stampeading chinook could leave a mark!

W
wormosa
so they definetly are in the newberg area? i am going monday to try and then fish up to the yamhill river and troll herring, yes green label lol

W
wormosa
Lol

C
Commodore S
Kodiak,
Sir, are we gonna have to go through this every spring????? No fish in the south. (uuhmmm) Free Beer, & Bait on the (NORTH), along with your (free) guided fishing trip , with guide Phil.. Oh, and waterloo is no long a fishing destination, (uuhmm)...... This post is (n0t) propaganda.. Thank You ...Commodore S