I want to fish springers

K
kwikfisher
I just started using my 16' Zodiac on the Siuslaw for chinook and silvers, and I'm totally looking forward to any opportunity to fish for salmon and steelhead in the near future. Like I mentioned, I have an inflatable that is a very forgiving first boat, and I like it a lot. My concern is finding rivers to fish that are productive, but are practical considering my boat's biggest vulnerability...punctures. With that said, are there spots on the Willamette around Eugene that are open and deep enough to catch Springers without being constantly worried about logs and branches etc? Does the river north of beltline qualify?

E
eugene1
Catching springers IN Eugene is almost like sighting a unicorn. Sure some are caught, but better bets are the McKenzie or the Umpqua. The McKenzie isn't going to be ideal for your boat if you run a prop motor, but the Umpy will be fine if you fish the Scottsburg area.

Good luck,

S
SLEDME
Marshall Island boat ramp on the willamette would be a safe option for your boat in the spring.If you fished this stretch you could run upriver just past the first house on the left side and fish down from there with very few obstacles to worry about.There is a lot of water in that area that is perfect for backing plugs down for springers.

J
JeannaJigs
I won't lie, they're pretty hard to get in Eugene, they aren't hanging out and they're on the move, unlike when they get higher up in the system. There's some really good water between clearwater and island park that I know holds salmon but it's a challenge. As for your boat, I'm not sure, never put much thought into it as I have a drift boat. People run pontoons on the mckenzie, but I don't know about a 16 foot raft. The town run is pretty decent for steelhead though, from alton baker to beltline is a cake walk.

Casting Call
Casting Call
hello kiwkfisher! What hp do you run? Hard or soft bottom hull? Draft? and how does it handel on the sticks? I run a 12ft "Z" with a 15hp, hard hull and draft 12" max. I have some spots for you depending on above info. Tony

K
kwikfisher
Thanks for the responses!
My Zodiac is MK3 Grade Raid. Soft bottom with inflatable keel. It has a 40horse 2 stroke. Handle the sticks? If you mean can it not puncture easily, I would say the bottom and sides are tough as you know. Do not know what it drafts?

K
kwikfisher
Saw some photos of Marshall Island B. R., looks easy enough. How far up river to the first house? Would I be fishing for unicorns? I'm worried they might pop my boat with their horn....

D
DrTheopolis
If you're willing to drive a bit, the Lower Willy would be fairly easy in your boat, and there's wayyyyy more fish.

K
kwikfisher
I know that is true about the amount of fish.
Being a new captain, I'm a little turned off (intimidated) by the prospect of Hog lines, and gunwales to gunwales mosh pits.
I grew up surfing, and I'm burn out on the fierce locals scene.
I'm certainly up for some traffic and company, if there is a good chance of catching fish.
Being that I'm a bit of a greenhorn, I'll trade slightly fewer fish for slightly fewer boats.
I know I ask a lot, but where might that be in your senior member opinion?

D
DrTheopolis
I'm far from an expert Willy/Columbia springer fisherman, the Lower Willy is a massive stretch of river. People who like unbruised elbows fish all over the place.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:
the Lower Willy is a massive stretch of river.
We fish it from the falls, up to the Multnomah Channel, back bouncing eggs, back trolling plugs, or jigging butterfly Jigs all have worked for me in the past.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Sellwood bridge in the lower willy is a good place for your boat. Stay away from the OC unless you want to be rocked and rolled.

I also think you should check out Scottsburg! Pretty low key if you don't get on the locals' bad side.

kwikfisher said:
Being a new captain, I'm a little turned off (intimidated) by the prospect of Hog lines, and gunwales to gunwales mosh pits.
I grew up surfing, and I'm burn out on the fierce locals scene.
I'm certainly up for some traffic and company, if there is a good chance of catching fish.
Being that I'm a bit of a greenhorn, I'll trade slightly fewer fish for slightly fewer boats.
I know I ask a lot, but where might that be in your senior member opinion?

D
DrTheopolis
eugene1 said:
Sellwood bridge in the lower willy is a good place for your boat.

Him, and 500 of his new buddies.

The St. Johns area has all the room you'd ever want, but I think it's a little trickier to fish.

S
SLEDME
Kwikfisher if you go to google earth and search for hayes lane in junction city you can follow the road to the boat ramp.The boat ramp was recently improved and the parking area was expanded.From the ramp you can just follow the river from the google earth view and you will see the first house i referred to.The inside corner just above the house would be a good spot to anchor with kwikfish or spinners or you could back plugs down in that stretch.This stretch of river is never crowded and you can catch chinook as well as steelhead if you put your time in.Success in this part of the river comes from fishing the resting spots close to the travel lanes which is true in most rivers but since these fish are covering a lot of water in a day the resting areas such as inside corners and current seams will produce the most fish.With your boat i would not venture too far above the corner near the house i mentioned because the river shallows up above that point.

K
kwikfisher
Thanks for the help everyone, looks like l have some good options. Man I got the fever bad! Made a stainless steel spoon today ala coyote to troll behind a flasher. Liking the rich slightly muted flash of the buffed stainless.

F
finless
Is anyone doing any good on the upper slaw? We fished last sunday with no takedowns

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
finless said:
Is anyone doing any good on the upper slaw? We fished last sunday with no takedowns

welcome to OFF 'finless', you will probably get more/better replies if you post this question on a thread over at the "Steelhead" forum. cheers, roger

D
DirectDrive
kwikfisher said:
There is a ton of open water on the Lower Willy or Big C (if open).
You don't join in on the mosh pit unless you want to.

If you have the fever, you may not want to wait 'til the fish move up....this is where the action starts.
The choke points will be the launches....get there early.
Make sure your rig can troll....very slowly....if you intend to troll.
If you intend to anchor, have the proper anchor system.

Good luck.

Edit:
Start early in the season (February/early March) and learn the established routine of your chosen area before the ramps get busy.

A
Aton
DirectDrive said:
The choke points will be the launches....get there early.

You can't get there early enough...I don't even try...Guys with springer fever are nuts...Just get to launch around 8-9am.