I catch a steelhead (sort of)

T
Tinker
I gave up on the two local rivers. Nothing but small trout and baby salmon. Aquarium fish, mostly. Maybe one big cutthroat and it got away from me... So I travelled South a bit and tried a different river. Pretty little place.

Found a nice hole against the other bank alongside a small, newly downed tree. The tree will wash down when the river rises next Winter, but it made a perfect, temporary fishing hole. Water was between 8 and 12 feet in the hole, long and narrow, with slack water around the tree, riffle above it, and a small falls downstream. The waterfalll was maybe a foot high, but it wasn't rapids, the water fell over it, so I'm calling it a waterfall.

There was a good spot where I could fish from the bank, so I gathered up my stuff and sat on the cobblestones for a while thinking about what I should try, first. Lil' Cleo! Of course! Same one that I braved unexpected horrors to rescue from a tree on the Sixes.

First cast: long. In the weeds on the opposite bank. "Here we go again, dammit" but I was able to shake it free and it popped up in the air and landed nearly exactly where I'd hoped to cast. Snag! I'm getting frustrated and wondering if the drive could possibly be worth it when the snag started to float downstream towards me. I'm thinking I"m not out of the rough yet and had pulled the branch into the current, but - having stood on the bank of the Sixes and watched a fish take my lure whie I scratched my ear (if my ear were further down and more towards the back) - I set the hook.

The air exploded with fish!

Okay, just one fish, but it was five feet in the air and I was on one end of six pound Maxima and it was on the other end and we were in a stare-down contest. I was running upstream and dowstream, not sure how to stay upright on my feet and not obliterate my medial menicus. It was going for the rocks, then for the downed tree, then back in the air to cuss at me some more. Epic battle! It was just like "The Old Man and the Sea" except there wasn't a boat. Or an albatross. Or a hot sun (it was foggy). And it lasted about 6 minutes instead of days. But otherwise, it was exactly the same. Epic!

It measured 16 and slightly less than 1/4 inches. Technically a steelhead, I reckon. More of a really nice rainbow, but the regs are the regs and it was, technically, a steelhead, even if it had never seen the sea. A wild native, too.

I'd caught a just-legal rainbow trout the week before and couldn't remember how to take pictures with my cell phone, so I studied and practiced at home and was ready this time, but I'd left the cell phone in the car and I guess I debated going back after it to take photos for at least 3 seconds, and then I let the fish go.

No photo, no fish. Rats.

18406ej
18406ej
The only important thing is the memory now in your heart.

D
dozer365
18406ej said:
The only important thing is the memory now in your heart.

& mine now too. Great job on getting new water and well written to boot.

O
OnTheFly
I always enjoy your fish-tales.

T
Tinker
OnTheFly said:
I always enjoy your fish-tales.

Thank you. Most gracious. Aw, shucks.

C
ChezJfrey
Nice!

You're getting closer...I caught a 16" cuttie about 6 months before my first landed steelhead, so you may be on a similar track :)

B
bran_man
Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically in Oregon regs I'm pretty sure it has to be over 20 inches to be considered a (keeper) steelhead? Not trying to discount your story or anything because I have caught a couple before that were under that and were def steelhead and not trout. Just curious...

Nice story though and good work on the fish. Those little cleos are deadly

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Depends on the river...for an example: Wilson is 16, but Clack is 20.

hobster
hobster
bran_man said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically in Oregon regs I'm pretty sure it has to be over 20 inches to be considered a (keeper) steelhead? Not trying to discount your story or anything because I have caught a couple before that were under that and were def steelhead and not trout. Just curious...

I almost piped in about this yesterday, as far as I knew it's 20 inches also. It is in the rivers I fish anyway. Thanks for the info ChezJfrey, I thought that was statewide.

Cool story! I've casted flies in trees and had the same thing happen when they popped loose (if I can get em out that is). I enjoyed reading that, felt like I was there.

C
ChezJfrey
hobster said:
I almost piped in about this yesterday, as far as I knew it's 20 inches also. It is in the rivers I fish anyway. Thanks for the info ChezJfrey, I thought that was statewide.

Cool story! I've casted flies in trees and had the same thing happen when they popped loose (if I can get em out that is). I enjoyed reading that, felt like I was there.

To be more precise, it's more a function of the zone. I know that NW is 16 and Willamette is 20 inches. But, I don't know if there are any river exceptions in a special reg that would override the general zone regs.

T
Tinker
bran_man said:

Southwest Zone says "Rainbow trout over 16 inches are considered steelhead in streams." Damn!

Maybe I should change this to "I Might Have Caught a Steelhead (Official Identification Pending)"?

T
Tinker
ChezJfrey said:
Nice!

You're getting closer...I caught a 16" cuttie about 6 months before my first landed steelhead, so you may be on a similar track :)

Hope so. I think I'd like that. I've seen your photo albumns and it looks like a helluva track to be on...

C
ChezJfrey
Tinker said:
Hope so. I think I'd like that. I've seen your photo albumns and it looks like a helluva track to be on...

Don't follow my track too closely...I'm hooking even more fish than last year, but losing a LOT more of 'em this year. Ouch! ;) Not sure what's up with me and my landing ratio at the moment...probably payback for giving ripping' fish lips a tough time about his landing ratio last season, lol

T
Tinker
ChezJfrey said:
Don't follow my track too closely...I'm hooking even more fish than last year, but losing a LOT more of 'em this year. Ouch! ;) Not sure what's up with me and my landing ratio at the moment...probably payback for giving ripping' fish lips a tough time about his landing ratio last season, lol

:D