Green Sunfish

The only one I've ever caught was out of Blue Lake in Troutdale. Does anyone have any photos of a Green Sunfish caught in Oregon? You really don't hear much about this fish.

I know this is an old post, but I am new to this forum and this caught my eye. Green Sunfish are actually pretty common down here in some of our Southern Oregon lakes and ponds. I have even seen them in the Illinois River at Pomeroy Dam during the summer. I'll try to get some pictures of some next spring.

I missed this post thanks for bringing it back up. I caught one this summer on the umpqua while fishing for smallmouth. It was the 1st one I've ever caught and it was about 10 inches long.

The only one I've ever caught was out of Blue Lake in Troutdale. Does anyone have any photos of a Green Sunfish caught in Oregon? You really don't hear much about this fish.

ya theyre one of my favorite panfish for sure!!! super aggresive like bass and really pretty fish, i had one in a tank for a while here but it recently died, i have caught some BIG ones too like state records im sure on bass tackle way oversized for the fish, i got one in 2009 that was 16" and over 2lbs on a 3/8 bass jig witch is a pretty big bait, anyways i will take a pic next time i get one i dont know what the record is but if its under 2lbs i know where you can find them LOL, they average 5-10" for me though.... for sure and awesome fish!

LOL it says the record is 11oz out of the umpqua but im sure theres bigger, that one i got was atleast 1 3/4lbs i will have to get another sometime haha

Last edited:
blue lake in fairview has thousands of green sunfish! fun to go after them on the spawn in june-july, when you normally have 100 fish days, speaking from experience! worms are my stand by bait for sunnies.

Top Bottom