Green Sunfish

S
Stradic2000
The only one I've ever caught was out of Blue Lake in Troutdale. Does anyone have any photos of a Green Sunfish caught in Oregon? You really don't hear much about this fish.

R
Roguegamma
I know this is an old post, but I am new to this forum and this caught my eye. Green Sunfish are actually pretty common down here in some of our Southern Oregon lakes and ponds. I have even seen them in the Illinois River at Pomeroy Dam during the summer. I'll try to get some pictures of some next spring.

T
TTFishon
I missed this post thanks for bringing it back up. I caught one this summer on the umpqua while fishing for smallmouth. It was the 1st one I've ever caught and it was about 10 inches long.

C
colbypearson
Stradic2000 said:
The only one I've ever caught was out of Blue Lake in Troutdale. Does anyone have any photos of a Green Sunfish caught in Oregon? You really don't hear much about this fish.

ya theyre one of my favorite panfish for sure!!! super aggresive like bass and really pretty fish, i had one in a tank for a while here but it recently died, i have caught some BIG ones too like state records im sure on bass tackle way oversized for the fish, i got one in 2009 that was 16" and over 2lbs on a 3/8 bass jig witch is a pretty big bait, anyways i will take a pic next time i get one i dont know what the record is but if its under 2lbs i know where you can find them LOL, they average 5-10" for me though.... for sure and awesome fish!

LOL it says the record is 11oz out of the umpqua but im sure theres bigger, that one i got was atleast 1 3/4lbs i will have to get another sometime haha

Last edited:
I
Ifishforfood
blue lake in fairview has thousands of green sunfish! fun to go after them on the spawn in june-july, when you normally have 100 fish days, speaking from experience! worms are my stand by bait for sunnies.