Green or White? Best flavor?

B
bigfootfish
I got to try sturgeon once, and it was deep-fried in a tempura batter. Absolutely delicious. It was fresh caught by a longtime friend who passed away years ago. At the time I'd never been sturgeon fishing and still haven't. So my question is..which sturgeon has the best taste? And can anyone take a guess as to which sturgeon I most likely had for dinner that one time?

T
Thuggin4Life
I only eat green sturgeon, they taste so much better....

this a trick question or something

Reactions: JeannaJigs
D
Drew9870
Wouldn't the Green Sturgeon have to be imported in order for that to be legal? (I know Thuggin wasn't serious, :lol:)

Chances are, you had White Sturgeon that somebody knew how to prepare and cook to fit your taste.

B
bigfootfish
Drew9870 said:
Wouldn't the Green Sturgeon have to be imported in order for that to be legal? (I know Thuggin wasn't serious, :lol:)

Chances are, you had White Sturgeon that somebody knew how to prepare and cook to fit your taste.

Thanks Drew. I heard you caught a 30 pound catfish out of the Willy? Where? That's would be a fine fish. Proabaly a Channel Cat. I just googled green and white sturgeon. Now I know green are ocean dwellers but they spawn in fresh, and white sturgeon live in our rivers. They get old too! Over a 100 years!!

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Bring it up next time you talk to Gary Galovich, he is the Biologist who collected the Catfish for studying.

B
bigfootfish
Drew9870 said:
Bring it up next time you talk to Gary Galovich, he is the Biologist who collected the Catfish for studying.

Awesome will do thank you very very very much!!!:clap::dance::think:

Drew, would you like Gary's email address, if you don't have it?

Last edited:
S
sportsmanlio
It could have been green sturgeon, depending on how long ago it was, but if it was in the last 15 years or so, it was almost definitely white sturgeon. Greenies are critically endangered worldwide, and the Columbia is one of the last strongholds for them.

Sturgeon are a major foodfish the world over. In Europe the Lake and Beluga sturgeon are prized game and table fish. Also, almost all high quality caviar is sturgeon roe (although in the Southeast, poachers often substitute paddlefish roe).

Sturgeon farms were big business in the early 20th century. My native Klamath Basin did not have native sturgeon, but there was a sturgeon farm near the lake about 100 years ago. During a particularly bad storm, the wooden fish screens were broken, allowing the fish to escape to the lake and establish a population.

Today, they are few and far between in the Basin, but I did see one once while fishing the crystal-clear waters of the Crystal Creek arm near Rocky Point. It was only 3-4 feet long, but it made my week. About 5? years ago, the local newspaper ran an article of a 10+ footer that was pulled out of a drainage ditch after getting caught in a fish screen. It completely filled up the back of the extended bed pickup and still hung over the side...

If you catch a keeper in the Columbia or elsewhere, feel free to keep it, but keep in mind that female white sturgeon don't reach sexual maturity until they are at least 20 years old, so breeding is very slow...

D
Drew9870
bigfootfish said:
Awesome will do thank you very very very much!!!:clap::dance::think:

Drew, would you like Gary's email address, if you don't have it?

Gary and I are already in contact by email, I appreciate it though, that Catfish was only a little over 10 years old which surprised us both, it actually weighed in at 28lbs, but as a fisherman, I can get away with calling it 30lbs :D.

I still have Gary's contact card also, he personally picked the fish up from my place.

B
bigfootfish
Drew9870 said:
Gary and I are already in contact by email, I appreciate it though, that Catfish was only a little over 10 years old which surprised us both, it actually weighed in at 28lbs, but as a fisherman, I can get away with calling it 30lbs :D.

I still have Gary's contact card also, he personally picked the fish up from my place.

Outstanding! That was a fine catfish. Did you ever take a pic?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ummm,pick a topic...sturgeon or catfish...you're confusing me. :doh: :lol:

D
Drew9870
bigfootfish said:
Outstanding! That was a fine catfish. Did you ever take a pic?

<---- :lol:, it was also in the Statesman Journal.

D
Drew9870
Raincatcher said:
Ummm,pick a topic...sturgeon or catfish...you're confusing me. :doh: :lol:

Today's topic..... Sturgeon AND Catfish... :D