Gales Creek coho

D
damonspreng
Does anyone know when the coho actually run or if they still do?

S
sapo
I've done lots of research on this topic. The Tualatin gets an underfished run of thousands of coho each year, numbers which have dramatically rebounded in the last decade. But by the time they swim all the way up there, they're usually in poor condition. However, Gales probably gets a good amount of fish each year since I believe it's the biggest trib to the Tualatin and gets the most coho (although Dairy, Scoggins etc. get small runs that are closed). So it does have fish..

I'd say most of the coho are going to be in bad shape by the time the bulk of them enter the Tualatin, and they're gonna be in terrible shape by the time they enter Gales creek this year. Also, Gales creek is only open until October 31...I don't think many, if any coho at all will have made it into the creek by then, I think the bulk will just be entering the Tualatin about that time. From what I've heard, Gales creek is never a stellar coho fishery but this year it'll be especially bad, there may not be a coho fishery there at all..

But hey, you live in Gaston! Give it a shot on Thursday or Friday (After the rains) this week and PM me and let me know how you do! There's always a chance!

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
Last year would have been a good time to check it out. So far this year, there are less than 10% of last years coho numbers over the falls. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
damonspreng
Thanks for the info. I'm going there or high on the tualatin for cutties Saturday morning I'll let you know.

S
sapo
Sweet! Ya last year would've been the time, slow year for coho so far. The upper tualatin looks sick..probably some 6-12" cutties, would be fun.

I'd bet no coho in Gales, but if you get a chance go walk around near the mouth if you can find access and try to spot some. If you don't see any coho, fish for some cutties in Gales! There are a few in there.

D
damonspreng
Living in a small town with one bar has its perks. I have access to enough Gales Creek and upper tualatin I can fish where I please. Upper tualatin at cherry grove is easy Cutts.

S
SmallStreams
LOL, now that's a different way to cross the bar!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Do they plant any coho in Gates creek? or is it just C&R for native fish?

P
pinstriper
Pretty sure the coho deadline is Gaston, so not even C&R for them in Gales Creek.

Edit: Which I meant to say it is a wild run, open for retention, below Gaston that is.

D
damonspreng
coho is open in Gales from tualatin to clapshaw Hill Rd in Gales Creek from may 23rd to Oct 31

P
pinstriper
OK, now I gotta go check....

Tualatin River (Clack./Washington Co.)1. From mouth upstream to Hwy 47bridge at Gaston• Open for trout May 23-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day.• Use of bait allowed May 23-Oct. 31.• Open for coho salmon Aug. 1-Oct. 31.

2. Mainstem and Tributaries upstreamfrom Hwy 47 bridge, and TualatinRiver Basin tributaries not listed• Open for trout May 23-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day.• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures.

I have no idea where Clapshaw Hill rd is. I think it is probably upstream from the 47 crossing. But you live closer, so...

D
damonspreng
Look at Gales Creek in the regs. Its big enough to have its own spot in there.

P
pinstriper
damonspreng said:
Look at Gales Creek in the regs. Its big enough to have its own spot in there.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. This is why they are rewriting the regs, I guess.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. This is why they are rewriting the regs, I guess.

no not really, you just needed to look under Special Regs for Gales Creek. The tip OFF that you should do that is under the Tualatin River where it says "...and Tualatin River Basin tributaries not listed"...that bit should have sent searching the Special Regs under the letter "G" to confirm whether Gales Creek is a 'listed' or "not listed" tributary...

P
pinstriper
Roger I've been looking at that section every few weeks for months, since I heard there was a Tualatin coho run. It absolutely never occurred to me that there was a Gales Creek listing.

It seems to me they could have folded the entire Gales Creek listing as 3, 4 under Tualatin, or made a reference to the Gales Creek listing to say it exists.

D
damonspreng
I only recently learned they ran up Gales after a resident from the creek told me stories of storms that would bring the creek up and down fast and leave stranded coho in his back yard.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
Roger I've been looking at that section every few weeks for months, since I heard there was a Tualatin coho run. It absolutely never occurred to me that there was a Gales Creek listing.

It seems to me they could have folded the entire Gales Creek listing as 3, 4 under Tualatin, or made a reference to the Gales Creek listing to say it exists.

all I can say is that I looked at them for the first time tonight and when I read "..and Tualatin River Basin tributaries not listed", my first thought was 'that means there are listed tributaries, I better go check to see if Gales creek is one of those"....

D
damonspreng
This thread has now turned into a "learn how to read the regs" thread and is not helping anyone

P
pinstriper
I'm gonna somehow make some time to find a spot on the Tualatin this weekend to throw some kinda hardware out there. If there was any water moving I think you could sorta plunk a spinner or plug, like backtrolling from the bank, but it's gotta be so slow moving that I'll just spend an hour tossing spinners and call it quits.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
Pretty sure the coho deadline is Gaston, so not even C&R for them in Gales Creek.

Edit: Which I meant to say it is a wild run, open for retention, below Gaston that is.

sorry for the perceived thread diversion but avoiding a $600 ticket would be considered 'helping' to most people..

not sure I am reading pinstriper correctly above so to be safe: Willamette Zone regs allow only retention of fin clipped salmon unless modified by Special Regs.

bottom line: only fin clipped coho can be retained in the Tualatin River and it's tributaries like Gales Creek. cheers, roger