Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

O
OnTheFly
ninja2010 said:
i hear ya... i hv a big problem tying small flies, so i just buy them.
Bright light with magnification and wear Coke bottle bottom thick reading glasses...no problem!.:D

R
rainbowfisherman
Heres a little steelhead fly I tied up. I'll post some other flies later. What do you guys think?
DSC01410.jpg

F
FishFinger
Here are a few I've been working on

PCVS1or.jpg

PCVS1G.jpg

F
FishFiddle
Nice FF. I really like those. What is the dubbing on the orange one?

M
mrlindeman
They are all awesome!!! I will post a classic wet fly tonight :)

D
Drew9870
rainbowfisherman said:
Heres a little steelhead fly I tied up. I'll post some other flies later. What do you guys think?
DSC01410.jpg

That will catch some Steel, pretty much a Wooly Bugger without a hackle, which is how I tie most of mine. All black wooly buggers are awesome in clear water, I use tungsten beads to get down a bit deeper.

F
FishFinger
FishFiddle said:
Nice FF. I really like those. What is the dubbing on the orange one?

I used material called Dougs Bugs permatron dubbing in Orange. Blended in just a touch of purple to darken it, then did a collar with the same straight purple. (which looks thicker then it is in this pict after pickin' the fibers out). Using oranges complement color of purple, intensifies the resident color; orange. It's an optical illusion making the bead and dubbing seem "brighter"

I tried green/ red gig and didn't like the effect at all, so using the same purple dub, I went for contrast the old fashioned way dark to light.

R
rainbowfisherman
Heres a little Wooly Bugger I tied up, And yes I know it is set backwords on the vice, the picture looked better that way. Haha. Thanks.

WoolyBugger.jpg

P.s- I'm having trouble getting my camera to focus on the smaller flies, any advice? Thanks

M
mlw
I am surprised no one has posted a posse bugger, a celebrated fly for the Mckenzie and other Willamette valley rivers.
A pdf tutorial can be found here and a video here. The hardest thing in tying a posse bugger is finding a good brown hungarian partridge skin.
P1011256.jpg
The Posse Bugger is of unknown origin, but may have had a New Zealand connection (explaining the Australian possum dubbing),
Similar attractor flies include Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel and the Bird's Nest (by Cal Bird in northern California, 1959). He tied Bird's Nests with whatever was handy. This won has mallard flank, possum, hare's ear, and a small pinch of U.V. tan Ice Dub. A little powdered floatant in that mess of dubbing and the air bubbles imitate an emerging insect.
P1011264.jpg

re focus on smaller flies - I struggled with that on my previous camera - you can check and see if there is a macro setting, and checking your camera's closest focus distance specification will give you an idea of how close you can get. I take steelhead fly pics with my standard lens, but to get close to small flies you need a camera with interchangable lenses, and a macro lens, bellows, or extension tubes (and of course a tripod). These were taken with an Olympus E-PL1, ebay lenses adapter, extension tube, and 40 yr old manual 55 mm Nikon lens - not ideal (fixed focal length compared to zoom macro lenses), but cheaper.

The downside of sharp fly photos is that folks can see your mistakes :)
Michael

E
eggs
FishFinger said:
Eggs, this is just a pointer I'd like to pass along. It might be that the hackle fibers are a tad bit long. For buggers I seldom use hackle longer the the hook gap. Having been said you'll probably murder trout with those and we'll have to rethink the old school bug "logic".

Yes they didn't catch **** but looked good in the water.. very fluffy, really soft hackle... I don't plan to make more til results come around.. I will tie emon the wifes rod when trolling as she don't like dealing with actually catching fish anyway hahaha

Thanks for the pointer..

F
FishFinger
Sorry these are so blurry, camera is being fussy

DSCN2146.jpg

First ever attempt at using wing burner and making extended abdomen spinner duns.

DSCN2145.jpg

I've also been revisiting old nymph patterns

DSCN2148.jpg

Pheasant Tail nymph w/ peacock hurl thorax.

I quickly remembered how much I disliked tying teeny nymphs, so I didn't do any.

R
rainbowfisherman
How do you tie extended bodies like that? Im just getting into that, thanks.

M
mlw
Were those tiny teeny nymphs? :)

nice looking extended body (green drake?) and pheasant tail.
Michael

F
FishFinger
Found a cool new synthetic material called slinky fiber, super tough. That and the wire weave over the tinsel under body make this this toughest fly I've ever seen. It will sink like a stone and it's almost indestructible.

Both are size 10

DSCN2224.jpg

One in black

DSCN2218.jpg

They look good with a red underbelly too.

E
eggs
Tied this fly for my buddy going back to afghanistan soon..

'The USA'

2011-02-18_21-47-09_84.jpg

T
Throbbit _Shane
thats really cool lookin eggs!

E
eggs
Thanks man.. just sat down and wiped it out.. get to visit him tomorrow before he leaves.. hope it keeps him smiling over there!

The purple one like this above looked sweet in the river today, so it is a good design, even had a 30sec. Hookup with it today.

L
lilsalmon
nice fly's guys......I am just glad I got through my "elk hair caddis" now I have to try others....

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
Thanks man.. just sat down and wiped it out.. get to visit him tomorrow before he leaves.. hope it keeps him smiling over there!

The purple one like this above looked sweet in the river today, so it is a good design, even had a 30sec. Hookup with it today.
Dude! You really have a wide variety of material. Must of come back from Welches with a grocery bag full eh? Nice flies!!!!!!

E
eggs
Actually Joel has been getting my deposit every Friday on the way home from work!