Float gear recommendations?

B
bootpdx
Hey all. I am looking to purchase a dedicated float setup for bobber & jig or worm Steelhead fishing. I fish mainly the Sandy with the occasional trip to the Clack.
I was in Fisherman's the other day and noticed they have some sales going on. I looked at a 10'6" Lamiglass rod and the Shimano Symetre and another Shimano that was a bit cheaper. (I currently have a Symetre on a 9'6" Berkley with mono that will be my spinner/corkie set up)
I want to use braided line for the ease of mending. My buddy told me to get braided line that is coated, but the guy in the store said all braided floats, is that true?
The 10'6" seems huge!
Can you all share your float setups that have worked for you? I figure on spending $200 or so.

THANK YOU!

J
joem
i have a 9'6 with a spinning real, 60 bucks at bimart with floating line and fluro leader tied to mainline with bobber and everything on the leader no swivels lust little weights a bobber and a rubber stop and a bead. works well had a good year this year.

M
Modest_Man
Check out the Okuma SST-S-1062ML or 1062M. I think they're on sale at Fisherman's as well for 25% off. Best bang for your buck. You really don't need an expensive rod for float fishing, as you don't need the extra sensitivity the high price tags bring. Definitely go for a 10' or 10'6". The longer the rod the easier it will be to mend you line and keep it off the water. Couple that with whatever reel you want and the 17lb Berkley Nanofil. Best line I've ever used for float fishing. I tried out several brands of braid and this stuff beats them all HANDS DOWN. My setup right now is with a spinning reel, but I think I'll go casting for the next one for ease of extending the float.

Last edited:
B
bootpdx
Thanks Joem and Modest for the helpful responses. Modest, the ease of extending the float with the spinning reel has been somewhat of a mystery to me. Sometimes it seems I just have to open the bail to extend the float and I am always concerned about the delay that will cause in my hookset. I don't really have any experience with the casting reels, I suspect I would be dealing with a lot of backlash.

R
r_dawg1021
Hey bootpdx,

For steelhead floating I use:

Berkley I-M7 (9'6")
Shimano Sedona 2500 (Came with two spools I've got braided on one, and mono on the other)

I think at the time I bought this, a few years back, the total package was around $150 after line was bought and spooled. I opted for a shorter rod since I'm typically on the bank when floating, and typically don't have a lot of casting room.

O
OnTheDrop
Modest described what you want. I'm an avid float fisherman and use a similar setup with great success.

B
bran_man
I do the same but I actually use the "lesser" okuma celilo @ $50 rather than $75 (i think) for the avg cost for the sst. (I personally like the 9'6")I have had a few friends that used the SST and they had nothing but problems with that rod and was there for a few of them when it went wrong. But that's just personal opinion though! Okuma is a great and affordable all around rod regardless of model. but yeah I usually use a 20 pound visible braid and leader depends on personal opinion whether using flouro or mono. in those low and clear summer days, you may want to switch to flourcarbon leaders. but I almost always use mono and still catch quite a few steelies regardess of mono or flouro... just mess with it and eventually you will find what works for you best :)

B
bootpdx
You guys are so helpful, thanks for all the tips. I feel well equipped to look at all the options. I've got no experience with casting reels, but I see how letting line out to lengthen the float would be way easier with a casting reel.

I'm planning on heading to the Sandy Monday am, borrowing my buddies 10' 6" Okuma 1026, so I'll check it out.

thanks y'all!

W
waco
I have an Shimano Clarus 9'6" with a Shimano Symettre 2500 and I love it, IMO when float fishing you don't need anything special just a good reel and you can catch fish all day long!! But if you can afford to get something nice just get it. You will feel the difference, don't buy something that is gonna break in few months and then you have to get another one again, expend a little bit more of money and get something nicer with a warranty, so if it breaks you can get a new one again!!! You don't need to break the bank to get something nice, just get a shimano for about $100 or a Barkley for about $95 or even a Lamiglas if you want.
Reels there is a bunch of brands and prices my first one ever was a Shimano Sienna 2500 ($30) and I landed a lot of fish and some monsters too, on the one that got now I spend a little more and got a nicer and smother reel. ($80). But you can get something nice like a Shimano Sedona $60 or a Shimano Sahara for about $80-90.
bendrod.jpg

J
JeannaJigs
Over the years I have pretty much all but abandoned spinning reels, except for spinner use. For float fishing go with a casting reel, you won't regret it. You can extend the drift of your float and if that bobber goes down you're not fumbling to flip your bail you just thumb it and reel. It's truly invaluable for float fishing and I find the same to be true with drift fishing. I have a shimano curado but there are less expensive reels out there that perform flawlessly. Pfleuger trion was my favorite reel until it was stolen, put me out about $50 at bimart several years ago.

Aervax
Aervax
I agree with the value of casting reels for big game fishing. The drag systems are smoother and more durable than most spinning drags as well. There is a reason the big name anglers on television use level wind casting reels so much of the time. When modern casting reels are adjusted well backlash is much less of an issue. Learn to use them earlier rather than later. With a little practice you will do fine and come to appreciate their performance for steelhead and salmon.

I have too many reels that are no longer being used. A couple of them are Curados I am willing to sell cheap. I paid $125 each for them 8 or 9 years ago. Being part of a large collection they have seen some use, but not too much and are still in good shape. I would sell them for $35 each or $60 for the pair if any of you need one. Enough to cover my gas money for a couple trips.

D
DYJ
I think there is already enough good suggestion rods and reels, but I will repeat what Modest Man already said. 17lb Nanofil for the line. I have the high vis nanofl and lover it, best line out there for bobber fishing

B
bran_man
I used to use pline hydrofloat on my float rod but after a couple years ended up hating it!!! the casing over the braid that makes it hi vis and buoyant starts to fray and come off and gets stuck in your bobber stop (if that's the float technique you use) I switched to power pro hi vis and like it a lot so far

B
bran_man
waco said:
I have an Shimano Clarus 9'6" with a Shimano Symettre 2500 and I love it, IMO when float fishing you don't need anything special just a good reel and you can catch fish all day long!! But if you can afford to get something nice just get it. You will feel the difference, don't buy something that is gonna break in few months and then you have to get another one again, expend a little bit more of money and get something nicer with a warranty, so if it breaks you can get a new one again!!! You don't need to break the bank to get something nice, just get a shimano for about $100 or a Barkley for about $95 or even a Lamiglas if you want.
Reels there is a bunch of brands and prices my first one ever was a Shimano Sienna 2500 ($30) and I landed a lot of fish and some monsters too, on the one that got now I spend a little more and got a nicer and smother reel. ($80). But you can get something nice like a Shimano Sedona $60 or a Shimano Sahara for about $80-90.
bendrod.jpg
really sweet pic waco. love that bendo

M
Modest_Man
bran_man said:
I used to use pline hydrofloat on my float rod but after a couple years ended up hating it!!! the casing over the braid that makes it hi vis and buoyant starts to fray and come off and gets stuck in your bobber stop (if that's the float technique you use) I switched to power pro hi vis and like it a lot so far

I had the same problem with the PLine. Tried the PowerPro, but the Nanofil is MONEY!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Ill take one of those used Curados.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Buy the most expensive rod you can afford. While you might not need the added sensitivity an expensive rod gives you the light weight helps balance out the rod which in turn makes it easier to hold your rod up high and keep line off the water all day. Good luck.

B
bootpdx
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of your feedback and sharing what works for you. I especially appreciate the feedback on the casting reels. It's not the first time I have been told to pick one up, so I think it is time for me to acquire one. My buddy has a curado, so I'll have to check it out.

J
JeannaJigs
They take some getting used to, that's for sure, however once you get the hang of it down, you will really come to appreciate the benefits of a casting reel. My curado is awesome for lighter weights such as steelhead jigs, I roll with big Abu 6501 c3 and c4 ambassadeurs for the heavier weights I'm throwing for salmon, 3-5 oz

T
troutmasta
You want a casting reel. I Love Spinning reels but for the rivers with a bobber, thumbing the line to control, or extend your drift is paramount. I fish a 10' 6" for salmon with a 6501 like Jeanna says. You want a long rod for bobber fishing as line control is also Very important.