Float gear recommendations?

O
OnTheDrop
One thing to keep in mind is that if you are deciding between a spin or casting reels is how heavy of floats your tossing. I drop to 1/32 oz jigs and 1/8-1/16 ounce floats in low water... You better be a pro with a casting reel to do long casts with that. In my opinion spinning reels and long rods are a must for float fishing steelhead.

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
One thing to keep in mind is that if you are deciding between a spin or casting reels is how heavy of floats your tossing. I drop to 1/32 oz jigs and 1/8-1/16 ounce floats in low water... You better be a pro with a casting reel to do long casts with that. In my opinion spinning reels and long rods are a must for float fishing steelhead.

Great point tanner! If im jig fishing it usually with a spnning reel. I did hook a chrome winter on the Ncannie at the hole you showed me on jig but got broken OFF cause I had a friggin casting reel on and not adjusted for 8 pound leader. Long rods are indeed a must.

S
Steeliekiller
Bi mart has a northxnorthwest 9'6 with okuma reel, got that for my first float rod as its my first season bobber fishing for steel and it works great. And the combo ran like 60 bucks

C
ChezJfrey
For float, I agree with the long-rod crowd and in my weirdness, I got a Michigan-style handle which is basically like a fly rod setup with the reel close to the butt-end and the long grip above the reel. This puts the balance close to the end, so holding it high is comfortable and gives you a little more height.

While extending the drift for hardware and drift rigs is easier with a casting reel, I still think for float, a spin presents better with the open bail because even with a freespool on a casting, it adds drag. I just use my free hand a la fly fishing when setting the hook...just grab the line and pull while simultaneously flipping the rod tip. I then just let the fish pull the line through my hand while moving to the bail and flip it closed to engage drag.

But like I said, I'm weird ;)

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I use a 10-20lb 10'6" SST with Abu Revo S for float fishing. I really like the added control of a baitcaster. It was mentioned earlier to spend extra money for a nice rod. The SST hasn't let me down but I think I should have spent the $ and gotten a rod that weighed a little less.

R
ryank
I cannot stand spinning reels for float fishing. If I fished really light gear I would use one, but I never fish lighter than a 1/2oz float on the Sandy for Steelhead. Actually 90% of the time I use a 20g->(3/4oz) Drennan piker float. On larger rivers like the Sandy and Clackamas you do not need to use micro light gear in the winter. Having a heavier float gets your gear down quicker, and it stays down. Spinning reels and big rivers do not mix well in my opinion. I'm not saying they don't work, but I truly believe casting reels are superior.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
T
troutmasta
R
ryank
troutmasta said:
20g < (3/4oz)

3/4oz=21g

What I was saying is that you would fish a 20g float the same as a 3/4oz float for people who are unfamiliar with the metric conversion. An example would be a 1/2oz inline weight and a 1/4oz jig. That set up fishes perfectly below this float. Thank you for the correction. That was very helpful of you.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
all braided line floats to an extent.... however to keep it floating, just add a little wax to the line and it will stay afloat longer.

bootpdx said:
Hey all. I am looking to purchase a dedicated float setup for bobber & jig or worm Steelhead fishing. I fish mainly the Sandy with the occasional trip to the Clack.
I was in Fisherman's the other day and noticed they have some sales going on. I looked at a 10'6" Lamiglass rod and the Shimano Symetre and another Shimano that was a bit cheaper. (I currently have a Symetre on a 9'6" Berkley with mono that will be my spinner/corkie set up)
I want to use braided line for the ease of mending. My buddy told me to get braided line that is coated, but the guy in the store said all braided floats, is that true?
The 10'6" seems huge!
Can you all share your float setups that have worked for you? I figure on spending $200 or so.

THANK YOU!

T
troutmasta
Lowell Life Fisherman said:
all braided line floats to an extent.... however to keep it floating, just add a little wax to the line and it will stay afloat longer.

Great tip, Thank you!

M
mccarrel
I have a 10'6 sst and love it but if you're going to buy it from Fisherman Marine look at the North Rivers. They are made by the same company but since they are the house brand if anything goes wrong the store can just hand you a new rod if you're in the warrantee time period. My SST tip broke and it took almost 3 months for okuma to get a new one to me. My buddy had the same issue with a North River and the literally handed them the broken rod and they pulled a new one off the shelf.

J
JeannaJigs
mccarrel said:
I have a 10'6 sst and love it but if you're going to buy it from Fisherman Marine look at the North Rivers. They are made by the same company but since they are the house brand if anything goes wrong the store can just hand you a new rod if you're in the warrantee time period. My SST tip broke and it took almost 3 months for okuma to get a new one to me. My buddy had the same issue with a North River and the literally handed them the broken rod and they pulled a new one off the shelf.

Sigh I don't want to hear that about okuma!!! I bought a new 10'6 15-50 and had 14 inches break off the first day of use after a long day of fighting some massive chinook, and just mailed it back yesterday. Normally I'd just say screw it, it's a $50 rod that I consider disposable but since it was the first time out, and purchased online due to not being available locally, I opted to send it in. Will see what happens.

M
mccarrel
JeannaJigs said:
Sigh I don't want to hear that about okuma!!! I bought a new 10'6 15-50 and had 14 inches break off the first day of use after a long day of fighting some massive chinook, and just mailed it back yesterday. Normally I'd just say screw it, it's a $50 rod that I consider disposable but since it was the first time out, and purchased online due to not being available locally, I opted to send it in. Will see what happens.

To be fair it usually takes 3 to 6 weeks. My Rod got stuck at the factory due to a computer glitch. Hopefully yours will get back sooner.