Fishing logbook

Admin
Admin
How many of you do keep fishing records - when, where, successfully or skunked?

I'm thinking of building such a feature here at OFF. I guess it would be cool to be able to look at an autogenerated personal "heat map".

What do you say about an idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DOKF
O
Oregunner
Every time I go fishing, I take a selfie in the boat. My photo collection is my fishing record, about 100 days a year. I don’t keep fish but try to get pictures of photo worthy fish, and sometimes of the gear or flies I was using.

Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
Oregunner said:
Every time I go fishing, I take a selfie in the boat. My photo collection is my fishing record, about 100 days a year. I don’t keep fish but try to get pictures of photo worthy fish, and sometimes of the gear or flies I was using.
Yeah, that's a good way to keep records. The drawback of this way - analytics can't be generated programmatically.

troutdude
troutdude
Seems like a good idea. That's actually what Jed Davis did before writing his now famous "Spinner Fishing for Steehead, Salmon, and Trout" book. His approach was very scientific by noting date, place, air temp, water temp, weather phenomenon like fog, drizzle, or full sun, gear / lure descriptions, water clarity, etc.

Case in point: right after devouring Jed's original book, in the mid 80's, I made some all black spinners. Black clevis, black blade, black beads, even black tubing over the hook shank. Then proceeded to hook into 4 big and fiesty Fall Nooks, in matter of a hour or two, at Moonshine Park on the Siletz. Peeps still think I'm crazy for using all black spinners. But in the right conditions in the Fall...BAM!!!

P
pcstock
I use FishSwami app on my iPhone. Great app.

Admin
Admin
pcstock said:
I use FishSwami app on my iPhone. Great app.
Thanks! That's exactly what I had in mind. Will install it and investigate what it has inside.

P
pcstock
It downloads weather, water conditions etc. It has a huge library of flies, lures, bait etc... But you can easily add your own and they show up at the top of the list.

Casting Call
Casting Call
I buy a topo map of the areas that I fish from the local Coast Guard station, ie Astoria/ Newport etc. I write on the dates, time, location, and bait, etc, etc. info. I have 40yr old maps hanging on the man cave wall. Tony

Reactions: troutdude, rogerdodger and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
Some of the best fishermen I know keep highly detailed records. I am waaaay to lazy. I tried once but gave up quickly.

Casting Call
Casting Call
A map on the wall easy peasy. Tony

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hardcore tech geek here- my fishing log is on my computer because I have images and sometimes video from each outing, so each year I create a folder for the year, "2022 Fishing", everything goes in there- ODFW PDFs, images I create from web pages...each outing gets a folder in there with the date, everything related to that outing, including notes, maps, links... goes into that folder. All my devices (computer, tablet, and phone) are linked through Google and everything I create backs-up to their cloud storage, so everything is stored at multiple locations.

• Love
Reactions: Casting Call and Admin
U
Ultramepps
I use a google App. “Journey” it keeps photos with location setting and notes. Have been using it since 2017. Works great.

Reactions: Casting Call and Admin
Diehard
Diehard
I drew up a 12 month calendar squares on a single sheet of paper for each month I have what to fish for. best week to go and a small detailed list of gear/techniques for those fisherys

Reactions: DOKF, Casting Call and Admin