Sorry to ask but struggling to decide where to fish

A
andres98
I’ve been out twice looking for smallies on to the umpqua and Columbia got skunked I’m fly fishing so that makes it a bit more difficult on deciding where to fish I was planning on hitting the umpqua again but that would be a 3.5 hour drive and would probably have to camp out there for night and is where I’d feel more confident being that where I’ve had the best luck just not this time of year other options that I have in mind are the yamhill and the Calapooia but I’ve never fished either what do you guys think I should do? Try the Columbia again? I do have a kayak but I was interested in wading any advice is appreciated.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
The John day is always an option but with the snow pack and recent warm weather it’s likely unfishable. One to keep an eye on

kemfish
kemfish
I haven't tried it yet this year, but the Umpqua didn't look super wadable last time I drove past. It's dropping, but still pushing good. I think it needs another week or two to warm up some too. I've had some lake smallmouth success so they're starting up, but the interesting winter seems to created more variation in the different systems than normal.
based on forum and Facebook posting the Columbia and willamette seem to be the most consistent right now.

Reactions: troutdude
C
cchinook
andres98 said:
I’ve been out twice looking for smallies on to the umpqua and Columbia got skunked I’m fly fishing so that makes it a bit more difficult on deciding where to fish I was planning on hitting the umpqua again but that would be a 3.5 hour drive and would probably have to camp out there for night and is where I’d feel more confident being that where I’ve had the best luck just not this time of year other options that I have in mind are the yamhill and the Calapooia but I’ve never fished either what do you guys think I should do? Try the Columbia again? I do have a kayak but I was interested in wading any advice is appreciated.
Start fishing Oxbow Park on the Sandy , #4 spinners and jig twitching . Springers are starting to move in. I really dislike fly fishing , it seems to be very limiting. Nothing against fly fishing folks but I have talked more then a few out of that style of fishing and now they are happy to take home salmon and steel. When they reopen the C.R. pluncking just below Tanner Creek can be awesome . But that requires a very different rig , long surf rod that can toss at least 10oz. and a beefy level wind , spreaders and spin and glows . This is all from the bank. I have a boat but I do way better on the bank. I guess I suck at trolling. It spends most of the time crabbing. Bobber and eggs can be great . The Sandy coho run starts end of Aug. and can be very good. Again , spinners and jig twitching and bobber and eggs at times. It is all about the Sandy right now until the C.R. reopens. I have to figure out how to be in 2 places at the same time. I need a Star Trek transporter. I have been doing this a very long time.

troutdude
troutdude
cchinook said:
Start fishing Oxbow Park on the Sandy , #4 spinners and jig twitching . Springers are starting to move in. I really dislike fly fishing , it seems to be very limiting. Nothing against fly fishing folks but I have talked more then a few out of that style of fishing and now they are happy to take home salmon and steel. When they reopen the C.R. pluncking just below Tanner Creek can be awesome . But that requires a very different rig , long surf rod that can toss at least 10oz. and a beefy level wind , spreaders and spin and glows . This is all from the bank. I have a boat but I do way better on the bank. I guess I suck at trolling. It spends most of the time crabbing. Bobber and eggs can be great . The Sandy coho run starts end of Aug. and can be very good. Again , spinners and jig twitching and bobber and eggs at times. It is all about the Sandy right now until the C.R. reopens. I have to figure out how to be in 2 places at the same time. I need a Star Trek transporter. I have been doing this a very long time.
Umm...I believe that the O.P. was looking for help with Smallmouth Bass; and not Nooks or Steel.

Reactions: Slo and Snopro
C
cchinook
troutdude said:
Umm...I believe that the O.P. was looking for help with Smallmouth Bass; and not Nooks or Steel.
OK , I got excited . there are lots of them in Multnomah Channel near the Gilbert boat ramp on Sauvie Island.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and Snopro
A
andres98
Finally got into some thanks to everyone that shot me some help had success on the willamate

• 5C202989-2844-4CBB-9ADF-78CDDDCF9BFC.jpeg
Reactions: troutdude and SparkyofSoCal
troutdude
troutdude
andres98 said:
Finally got into some thanks to everyone that shot me some help had success on the willamate
Nice fish and good of you to let us know how you did!

P.S. That's one heckuva hat! LOL