Fishing at Detroit Lake

T
tomkat
A friend and I are heading for Detroit Lake in the morning, fishing from a boat. Heard a rumor that the Kokes are at about 25 feet so we're looking for them, although we'll settle for bows. Has anyone been there recently and if so, what kind of luck did you have?

P
pinstriper
I eagerly await your report, as we are set to go camping there in early May.

T
tomkat
pinstriper said:
I eagerly await your report, as we are set to go camping there in early May.

I'll post the results of my trip.

D
DrTheopolis
That's quite a road trip from Mill City.

T
tomkat
DrTheopolis said:
That's quite a road trip from Mill City.
Indeed. 20 minutes if I don't have to stop for lunch.

P
playhooky
tomkat said:
I'll post the results of my trip.

Talked to a guy that was up there a couple of weeks ago. He was pretty quiet but said he was hitting the kokes at 5-6' below the surface just 50-60' behind his boat. Trolling Doc Shelton's and some Pro Troll gear. They were getting 14" fatties regularly. He really didn't open up about his terminal gear but I'd be willing to bet a wedding ring or Kokanee killer lure tipped with "flavored" white corn might yield a few. Btw, he mentioned they just trolled near the Mongold ramp. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
tomkat
Thanks for the info. It should help. I like wedding rings and Kokobow spinners maybe even better. Hadn't thought of the corn so better pick some up in the morning. Thanks again playhooky...

playhooky said:
Talked to a guy that was up there a couple of weeks ago. He was pretty quiet but said he was hitting the kokes at 5-6' below the surface just 50-60' behind his boat. Trolling Doc Shelton's and some Pro Troll gear. They were getting 14" fatties regularly. He really didn't open up about his terminal gear but I'd be willing to bet a wedding ring or Kokanee killer lure tipped with "flavored" white corn might yield a few. Btw, he mentioned they just trolled near the Mongold ramp. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
tomkat
Well now. Went to Detroit today and it was a beautiful morning. We had my friends boat and when we put it in the water, both motors started right up. Motored to the area we wanted to fish, turned off the big motor and attempted to start the trolling motor. And attempted, and attempted and attempted and attempted. We then started the big motor, returned to the launch area, boat on trailer and came home. Obviously have no idea how the fishing was. Oh well, there's always another day.

P
pinstriper
Was there any water in the thing ? I've heard it's drier than a....it's really dry.

troutdude
troutdude
I drove past the lake this evening. It's VERY low! Did not look like the ramp, at the State Park, was even remotely close to the water. IDK where peeps are putting in.

Also where Brietenbush flows into the reservoir, at Detroit, was only a stream.

Breitenbush at Detroit April 2015.jpg

Detroit State Park April 2015.jpg

Last edited:
T
tomkat
Water is not all the way down to winter level but it is low. We had to use the winter ramp.

pinstriper said:
Was there any water in the thing ? I've heard it's drier than a....it's really dry.