Any tips for a newbie on the Kilchis?

T
thejazzmarauder
Hi there,
My son has recently become interested in fishing so I'm learning everything that I can. So far, we've only been out on lakes. But we'll be camping on the Kilchis this weekend and want to fish some spinners. I'm thinking I'll do some solo fishing at dawn and then take my son out later in the mornings. Any shot at landing a searun cut if I head far enough downstream, or is it still too early? Appreciate any advice.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
You should be able to find some SRC's (sea run cutthroat), at this time of the year. But like you alluded to, they are likely not very far upstream just yet. Try small'ish brown Rooster Tails with gold blades. They mimick crawdad fry, which the SRC's gorge on when they get into fresh water.

You could also use a torpedo bobber, 4-5' of leader, and a Borden Special fly.

Excerpt from Best Fishing in America:

Cutthroat Trout

"The Kilchis can offer pretty good fishing for native cutthroat trout, with a modest seasonal harvest limit available here and many coastal streams.

The trout season begins in late May, and at that time of year fishing can be good for resident fish.

While these fish are dispersed, spring trout fishing in Oregon Coast streams is often quite good in the upper reaches of rivers and creeks.

It might be quite worthwhile to consider a trip up Kilchis River Forest Road during the first few weeks of the season, while the water is cool.

Remember that all fishing is closed above the junction of the North and South forks and in all other tributaries. Check the regulations before fishing.

By July and August, searun cutthroat trout (which behave like steelhead trout but certainly not as large) are coming back into the tidewater sections and will begin working their way into the lower reaches of the free-flowing river section through the late summer.

More silvery and often larger than other cutthroat trout, after fattening up on shrimp and other saltwater foods, searuns can be aggressive toward flies and small lures.

In the stream section, cast into riffles and also in the tail-outs or edges of deeper pools.

Note that the Kilchis is among rivers closed to bait fishing until September, when fall salmon fishing gets underway.

So spring and summer trout fishing in the stream is all about artificial flies and lures. You can use bait for the searuns in tidewater, where trolling a worm or spinner or combination rig can be deadly, as can casting lures and flies."

Hope that helps. Tight lines and let us know how you do (and share some pics).

TD

Reactions: thejazzmarauder
T
thejazzmarauder
Thanks for the info. Heard our best bet might be jumping down to the Trask around Lorens drift.

Casting Call
Casting Call
My home waters! Don't waste on the Trask until the hatchery run starts. If your son is young (pre-teen) take him up to the end of the road to the camp/park area, good safe fishing access for beginners. Please have him wear a life jacket. Good luck. let us know how you two do pay back survey. Tony

Reactions: thejazzmarauder and troutdude
T
thejazzmarauder
So we got in on Friday afternoon, and hit the area near the campground with some moderate success. Caught a few native trout using small Panther Martins. My other son came down with a bug that night. The next morning, we stopped by Tillamook Bait Company and met Dennis, who seemed like a really cool guy, and he hooked us up with a variety of large lures. We were excited to head out to the Wilson that evening, but had to head back home early as my son was getting worse.

But I’m stubborn so I drove back last night and hit some spots along the Wilson between mile 5 and 10. Again, only caught some small fish, but just for fun I tried one of the lures Dennis gave me, probably a size 3/4 (chrome rainbow trout pattern). Something nailed it, jumped out of the water, and shook the hook loose. Then my line got tangled, I lost some time to that, and it was getting dark so I had to leave after a few more casts with no luck.

• IMG_3776.jpeg
  • IMG_3789.jpeg
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scched, Admin, troutdude and 2 others
Casting Call
Casting Call
Thanks for the report! So many times, advise is given and it's wham!, bam! thank you mam! and the newbies are never heard from again. So, when I say THANK, YOU it's well meant. Tony

• Love
Reactions: scched, troutdude and thejazzmarauder
troutdude
troutdude
Yes indeed. Thank you for letting us know how you did--and for the pics of those beauties. I hope your son is on the mend.

Reactions: thejazzmarauder
T
thejazzmarauder
One son is better, now the other one is sick! But he’s already asking when we can get back out on the water. Need to find some good spots for bank fishing with him. I want to hit Breitenbush/North Santiam rivers at some point, but main goal for this summer is to land a SRC.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Stay at the Kilchis. They are coming! The run is about to start. G/L. Tony

troutdude
troutdude
thejazzmarauder said:
One son is better, now the other one is sick! But he’s already asking when we can get back out on the water. Need to find some good spots for bank fishing with him. I want to hit Breitenbush/North Santiam rivers at some point, but main goal for this summer is to land a SRC.
Won't find any SRC's in Breitenbush, nor the N. Santiam. But one of my best friends fishes the Breitenbush every year and loves it.

T
thejazzmarauder
I may not know much, but I know that, at least! Thinking it could be fun fishing for my son as he learns to use spinners given how heavily they’re stocking it.

T
thejazzmarauder
Casting Call said:
Stay at the Kilchis. They are coming! The run is about to start. G/L. Tony
Is the park/campground area a good bet? Water levels didn’t seem high enough downstream for for them to make it up that high.

@Casting Call

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
thejazzmarauder said:
I may not know much, but I know that, at least! Thinking it could be fun fishing for my son as he learns to use spinners given how heavily they’re stocking it.
Yep. They have been dumping THOUSANDS of "trophy trout" into Detroit. Some of which, could head up that river.

When using spinners...if you don't lose some on each trip...then your spinners aren't in the strike zone. And most people reel them in way too fast. Which also defeats their purpose. Words of wisdom from Oregon's spinner guru Jed Davis.

Last edited:
T
thejazzmarauder
troutdude said:
Yep. They have been dumping THOUSANDS of "trophy trout" into Detroit. Some of which, could head up that river.

When using spinners...if you don't lose some on each trip...then your spinners aren't in the strike zone. And most people reel them in way too fast. Which also defeats their purpose. Words of wisdom from Oregon's spinner guru Jed Davis.
Good to know; I’m sure that I’m reeling too fast.

troutdude
troutdude
@thejazzmarauder If you've never read Jed's book--I highly recommend it. He lived in Oregon, when he wrote the book--and it's the Bible of spinner fishing IMO.

Note: try to find a 1st or 2nd edition if you can. They have color sheets inside, of Jed's various spinner designs.

1689876627594.png

Rogersjd
Rogersjd
thejazzmarauder said:
Hi there,
My son has recently become interested in fishing so I'm learning everything that I can. So far, we've only been out on lakes. But we'll be camping on the Kilchis this weekend and want to fish some spinners. I'm thinking I'll do some solo fishing at dawn and then take my son out later in the mornings. Any shot at landing a searun cut if I head far enough downstream, or is it still too early? Appreciate any advice.
Spent the weekend up at Kilchis County Park. First off, great place to camp with fantastic access to the river. River is running low (normal for a dry summer), but there is some great fishing below the riffles with pools. Mostly cutthroat ranging 4-8 inches, but lots of fight and taking flies like they haven't eaten in weeks! There is a nice, wooded trail that runs along the river near the rear of the camp with access to great water! Enjoy and have fun!

Reactions: Casting Call and troutdude
T
thejazzmarauder
troutdude said:
@thejazzmarauder If you've never read Jed's book--I highly recommend it. He lived in Oregon, when he wrote the book--and it's the Bible of spinner fishing IMO.

Note: try to find a 1st or 2nd edition if you can. They have color sheets inside, of Jed's various spinner designs.

View attachment 640078
So I found a copy and read through it. I have some questions on some of the fundamental techniques he describes.

He says: “most of your fish will come by first, quartering upstream, and, then, as the spinner sinks, putting just enough tension on the line to get the blade to start spinning while at the same time, fishing the lure close to the bottom…Knowing how fast your spinner sinks will determine how much of an angle you will toss the lure upstream…unless your lure is swinging into an obstruction or undesirable water, always let the spinner swing downstream until it is directly downstream.”

I’m trying to imagine how to put this into practice. Is the idea here that the lighter the spinner, the further downstream the current will take it before you start reeling? The underlying assumption is that you’re always upstream from target waters. Is the thinking that if your lure sinks to the bottom quickly, you need to cast almost straight out from position or it won’t get far enough downstream?

Last edited:
Reactions: Casting Call
troutdude
troutdude
That's kinda deep (no pun intended). I'll have to think on that for a bit.

Casting Call
Casting Call
jazz you are correct! Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
This is what I ALWAYS do, is paint the underside of the blade with a reflective marking of some sort as to enhance the flash behind the tail. Like a target, target circle. Tony