Early season Hagg Lake trout

A
andronicus83
Spinners

Spinners

So, since this is about trout fishing at Hagg, has anyone had any particular amount of luck with spinners from bank at Hagg? If so what are some good areas of shore to use them?

F
FishSchooler
You gots too many fish... you making me jealous.

How/where did ya get them? Do I need a raft?

M
MJBSN2
I was getting skunked one day with all the flashers and crap so i thought well hell........ kastmaster....... ? i limited out in an hour. been out 4 times since and limited out. last time was 3 people,3 poles a lot of fish. its crazy. and thats all over the lake. no where special. as far as the bank fishing, ive always used wedding rings any color and did alright its just a lot of casting,not enough time for beer.:D

J
JASMINE
I use Kastmasters from the bank all the time. They do pretty well, gold seems to do the best for me, though silver is okay as well. Caught this nice one with a gold kastmaster opening weekend.

F
FishSchooler
I have one that is about 2 inches long and it is half silver and half blue. Should I wait till it hits the bottom then start reeling?

G
Green_Tackle
Kastmasters are great from the bank as you can cover quite a bit of water. I've had success with both gold, silver/blue, and silver and never get any fancier than that (we got a 16 incher on gold kastmaster from the sain creek bank at Hagg last weekend) I experiment around with how long I wait before reeling in. A "one mississippi...etc" count between 5 and 10 seconds and then I reel it in. I also pause a few times during the retrieve and may move my rod tip to either side of me to change the lure's direction slightly. If you see the trout following the lure up to the bank but never striking, try something else (faster, slower, twitching, dropping, etc) or try another color/size. You can cast in successive fan patterns moving down along the bank to cover a large area.

F
FishSchooler
Green_Tackle said:
Kastmasters are great from the bank as you can cover quite a bit of water. I've had success with both gold, silver/blue, and silver and never get any fancier than that (we got a 16 incher on gold kastmaster from the sain creek bank at Hagg last weekend) I experiment around with how long I wait before reeling in. A "one mississippi...etc" count between 5 and 10 seconds and then I reel it in. I also pause a few times during the retrieve and may move my rod tip to either side of me to change the lure's direction slightly. If you see the trout following the lure up to the bank but never striking, try something else (faster, slower, twitching, dropping, etc) or try another color/size. You can cast in successive fan patterns moving down along the bank to cover a large area.

You c'n do that with spinners too..............:D

F
FishTastic
I have a gold Kastmaster, had it for years......Hardly ever pay any attention to it. I think I will tie it on next trip to Hagg.

Patriotic Powerbait has been working well for me lately.

Went to Joe's today and stocked up on Rooster Tails. I think I got 25 of my favorites. I plan to have them handy for evening trips to lakes and streams.

F
FishSchooler
What % was the sale at? :dance:

A
andronicus83
Sale?

Sale?

Price on fishing equipment is at 15% off. I finally bought some polarized fishing glasses with the discount for 15 bucks. I have horrible water vision.

FishTastic any luck this past weekend? We were at Detroit but we'll probably be out at Hagg this weekend. Maybe if you're there we'll run into each other.

I've been thinking about putting together a light fun trout rod. I'm thinking a med light to light cherrywood rod together with a small spinning reel. What # line do you all run for your trout fishing?

F
fish_on!!!
blue fox

blue fox

How well do blue foxes work I got a bunch of #2 r those too big?

F
FishTastic
andronicus83 said:
Price on fishing equipment is at 15% off. I finally bought some polarized fishing glasses with the discount for 15 bucks. I have horrible water vision.

FishTastic any luck this past weekend? We were at Detroit but we'll probably be out at Hagg this weekend. Maybe if you're there we'll run into each other.

I've been thinking about putting together a light fun trout rod. I'm thinking a med light to light cherrywood rod together with a small spinning reel. What # line do you all run for your trout fishing?

Yeah I think I got those rooster tails for 15% off. Not the greatest sale but they ended up costing $2.11 each. Some times Bi-Mart has them for a lot less. Joe's has / had a better selection.

andronicus83, I ended up on the Wilson this last weekend. I stopped out to Hagg for a few minutes to visit and see how people were doing, looked like the fishing has picked up quite well there at the dam.

I like a little bit firmer action for a trout rod, reason being is trout have a fairly tough mouth and a firmer action helps the trout to hook themselves a bit better in my experience. I like 8# low stretch clear for all around trout fishing. On ultra lights I would maybe go to 4-6# test. Bi-mart has a decent selection of cherrywoods at 20% off right now. I just picked up a Shakespear Synergy 7' meadium heavy spinning rod for cheap. I will probably hit Hagg this weekend sometime. My buddy has been after me to hit the Wilson and Trask again. Might do that after work thursday and fish Hagg hard over the weekend. Let me know where you can be found and I will drop by for a visit. Are you going to attend the OFF derby?

F
FishTastic
fish_on!!! said:
How well do blue foxes work I got a bunch of #2 r those too big?

I have not had any luck to speak of with blue fox lures in general. I like them but they need some fur or a skirt or something.

A
andronicus83
Hagg Tomorrow...Today

Hagg Tomorrow...Today

Going out to Hagg tomorrow...It is Saturday now so I guess today. Going to fish the trout. Look for us if you're out there. We're taking a friend who I believe wants to use worms so we may be stationary. Look for a girl with a black and pink rod, or for lemon-lime chairs...you'll know what I mean when you see them.

A
Anyfishisfine
I'll be at Hagg today with mgdguy in a Sea Nymph canoe.

F
FishTastic
I decided to go to the Wilson for some salmon action. Did well too, all three of us got a nice fish. May pop out to Hagg this evening, if not I will be there tomorow for sure in the morning for a few hours. Sounds like the fish have lock jaw at Hagg.

A
Anyfishisfine
Mgdguy and I Just got back from Hagg. I got 2 nice trout, not huge, but bigger than I was catching at Commonwealth, a third dropped off as I was lifting it into the boat (silly me had a net sitting there I could have used).

I was casting a Thomas Boyant out the back of the canoe, and trolling it along along the shore line. They all seemed to be within 100 yard of shore. I didn't see anyone else catch any, but one of the boats back at the ramp had some success as well.

The bite seemed to be picking up around noon, I had 4 solid strikes besides the fish I landed, but the wind was making the canoe hard to manage outside the bays so we called it a day.

A
andronicus83
Boat Ramp C

Boat Ramp C

I was Parked in on the right side when you come down by boat ramp c. Where it says left for trailers, right for no trailers. We parked and walked right down to the water. There are four or so picnic tables along the water. There was a good row of people and we settled at the end of the line. Wind made it tough.

Everyone along the line caught at least one fish while we were there. One man and daughter duo had a good 7 or so fish, the biggest one being in the 15" range. What surprised me was how small some of the fish people were keeping were. I'm talking 5-6" and maybe smaller. My fiancee caught one fish, picture below. Small guy. Had him way down in the throat. Put him back in the water and he went belly up. I waited a few seconds and then tapped him with the end of my pole. He shot right side up and swam off.

So last weekend at Detroit lake I tied on a rooster tail. First time I'd ever used one. On the third cast I caught a nice sized guy but my line broke at the knot and he took off with my lure. Well today, midway through, I tied on a 1/8 oz silver and blue kastmaster - just bought it this morning. On the FIRST cast I hooked a guy and as I went to pull him out of the water he got off my hook and swam off. I have a feeling this is going to be a tradition with me. Every time I buy a new lure I'm going to hook a fish really fast and then lose him.

Other than that my fiancee and I both got a number of bites but these Hagg fish must be smarter than other rainbows I've encountered. Most trout I meet hook themselves and I just have to make sure the hook is set deep. We lost a whole lot of powerbait today and the only fish that hooked himself for us was the kastmaster guy.

Good fishing everyone.

A
andronicus83
So yeah, here's the picture

So yeah, here's the picture

Picture

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Anyfishisfine
The bay south of ramp C is where we were trolling and caught fish. I was looking for pink poles but didn't see any.

That lake just screams bass. I can't wait till it warms up a bit.