Deschutes advice

S
Steeliekiller
My buddies an I will be hitting the Deschutes for steel. This will be my first trip. Any advice is good advice. We will be banking it. Thanks

S
steelhead_slayer
There are fish through out the river. Mecca flats is a good access point.

H
halibuthitman
fly rods?.. spinners?... sharp stick?.... we could help you soooo much more with such a small amount of additional information-

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks slayer. We will have the arsenal, fly, hardware, an gear. My self I'll probably be swinging.

H
halibuthitman
a size 10-14 peach colored bead pegged 1.5 inches above a barbless size 4 hook will pretty much destroy the steel over there right now... the higher you are, the better it works- as far as swinging flies... black-blue-purple and crystal flash have always treated me well, the best fly I have ever swung over there this time of year was just a 1'' piece of tannish brown bunny hair.. just killed both the steel and the bows-

P
perfectg03
Green butt purple has accounted for 30+ summers in the D for me this year so far, with several other patterns working well but this is the year of purple for me and my groups.http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/st209.jpg

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks for the info guys. Hope I can throw up some pics.