Confirmed: springer season is here!

E
eugene1
fusion, you'll be fine at Sellwood. It's pretty mellow there vs. the OC where there are lots of big guide boats cruising by kicking up big wakes.

Best luck,

F
fuson22
Thanks a lot Eugene1. I live in Eugene, so I REALLY didn't want to go all the way up there to find out that I'm WAY out there thinking that my Koffler is going to be a safe, better yet fun boat to fish out of. I very much appreciate the info. I feel a lot better about heading up there. I'm waiting for it to get going 1st though. Sounds like it's just kind of trickling in rite now. Hoping April open's up the flood gates of Springers then it will be a blast!

L
Letemgo
fusion22, you will be right at home with your drift boat. There are hundreds of drift boats on the Willamette every year and I have never seen one get into any trouble. I cannot say that for some smaller aluminum boats that I have seen sunk. One incident that sticks in my mind happened a bunch of years ago under the Sellwood Bridge. An older gentleman was alone in a V-bottom of about 12 feet and was asleep in the rear starboard corner with a hand on the tiller. It looked to me and my partner that he was perilously close to taking on water as the bow was way up in the air and he appeared to be settled in for a long nap. We had no sooner noticed this when all of a sudden his boat sank within 3 seconds. Fortunately he was wearing a vest and we managed to pick up some of his stuff that floated while another boat dragged him aboard and took him to the Staff Jennings Marina that used to be at the west end of the bridge. Drift boats are made to take large waves, you'll be OK. Steve

N
nw5785
The only reports I trust are the one's I conduct myself ;)

E
eugene1
I hear ya about driving up there to fish, but I'd say it's well worth it when the bite is on and the fish are in. Quite a different world compared to fishing up around EUG. They will actually take bait to feed just like fall coast fish on the bays. Anyway, sounds like you got a decent motor but bring your oars just in case and hit it hard. Headless herring works fine around sellwood area, so if you have the fall nook stuff for the coast it's the same gear. Trolling with the tide is the best but db's get them going both ways. Watch ifish for reports on when to go up there.

Best,

fuson22 said:
Thanks a lot Eugene1. I live in Eugene, so I REALLY didn't want to go all the way up there to find out that I'm WAY out there thinking that my Koffler is going to be a safe, better yet fun boat to fish out of. I very much appreciate the info. I feel a lot better about heading up there. I'm waiting for it to get going 1st though. Sounds like it's just kind of trickling in rite now. Hoping April open's up the flood gates of Springers then it will be a blast!

C
chad wiest
I have now put three days of springer fishing in. First day was on the channel with plumb2fish and a couple others. We struck out with three swings and misses. Short light bites, that was a week ago yesterday. The water was lower than I have seen. Fished the columbia interstate stretch and went 1 for two with a little 14 pound hatchery fish in the box. The next day on thursday fished in julie brentons sled and we went 1 for 1 on a 16 pound hatchery fish and only saw 5 other fish for 40 boats. Friday fished the interstate, no fish for me or the the other 40 boats out there. Heard of 1 but unconfirmed. It went from ok on wednesday to progressively slower. The river has been on the rise since friday. Good reports coming from below kalama. I will be fishing the final days of the columbia season in the area below longview. The water temp in the willamette skyrocketed to 58 degrees, but should be coming back down with this fresh rain. When the water drops and begins to clear look for fishing to start firing off. It has been a painfully slow start of the season for many. My hope is that it these fish are going to start flooding in, bringing steady fishing. If the water stays warm the fish are going to blow right through and the eugene area could see awesome fishing. Think spinners instead of herring if the water is warm. Good Luck everyone.

N
nw5785
Wheres the best bank fishing close to Portland on the Columbia?

E
eugene1
According to the other forum there's been a hot bite on the lower river and they'll close it down at the deadline if not even sooner. Sounds like the quota is filling up.

P
plumb2fish
If anyone is looking for an awesome guy who will work his tail off to get you into fish, send Chad a pm and find out where he's fishing and if he has openings, you will not regret it.
Mike Anderson.....plumb2fish

chad wiest said:
I have now put three days of springer fishing in. First day was on the channel with plumb2fish and a couple others. We struck out with three swings and misses. Short light bites, that was a week ago yesterday. The water was lower than I have seen. Fished the columbia interstate stretch and went 1 for two with a little 14 pound hatchery fish in the box. The next day on thursday fished in julie brentons sled and we went 1 for 1 on a 16 pound hatchery fish and only saw 5 other fish for 40 boats. Friday fished the interstate, no fish for me or the the other 40 boats out there. Heard of 1 but unconfirmed. It went from ok on wednesday to progressively slower. The river has been on the rise since friday. Good reports coming from below kalama. I will be fishing the final days of the columbia season in the area below longview. The water temp in the willamette skyrocketed to 58 degrees, but should be coming back down with this fresh rain. When the water drops and begins to clear look for fishing to start firing off. It has been a painfully slow start of the season for many. My hope is that it these fish are going to start flooding in, bringing steady fishing. If the water stays warm the fish are going to blow right through and the eugene area could see awesome fishing. Think spinners instead of herring if the water is warm. Good Luck everyone.

Last edited: