Sandy River open for Smelt 7 hour season

Irishrover
Irishrover
The season is a sort one and the limit is only 10lbs. This used to be a lot of fun. I can remember as a kid in the 1950s dipping smelt. Catching was the fun part. I never liked eating them. The folks would deep fry them along with a big batch of French fries. I would skip the smelt and chow down on the fries. In later years I would dip them and use them for sturgeon bait. Will be taking 3 of my grandsons down to watch the show tomorrow, and then pick up some French fries! Don't do much sturgeon fishing anymore, and not going to eat them so we will be content to watch.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/0...ven-hour-season-has-smelt-dippers-scrambling/

Reactions: TheKnigit, troutdude, Admin and 1 other person
Irishrover
Irishrover
Made it down to the Sandy for the smelt dipping. First, we made a stop at a locally owned hamburger joint for some great burgers and fries. Grandsons loved that along with a big milkshake. Then we headed down to the Sandy. The traffic was a bit crazy and finding a place to park was a trick. Lot of folks down there dipping and some folks like us, there just to watch. Most people got their limits quickly as the river was full of fish. The 10lbs limit also helped speed thing up. It was nice to get the grandsons down to see this event, never sure when the next one will come along. Last one was 7 years ago.

• smelt (1).jpg
  • smelt (23).jpg
Reactions: Admin and Chromatose
Admin
Admin

Reactions: Irishrover
Chromatose
Chromatose
Good on you irishrover for the posting. Brought back some great older memories for me. We also went to a local burger joint (Deas In and Out)when it was located on Powell Blvd, before heading to the Sandy for our buckets of the little wigglers....................................Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
You're welcome. Certainly, remember when Deas was on Powell.

Reactions: Admin
Diehard
Diehard
Got my pile of them im gonna try to stuff some spinfish with them this fall if I can figure out how to cook and chunk them up properly so they kinda have the texture of tuna

Reactions: Irishrover and Admin
scched
scched
Thanks for posting! Didn't even know this was a thing till today