Clackamas @ Riverside/Winter Steel

F
Fishydog
Fishtopher said:
Who said the water is high?! Pfft...thats nothin'. And that water looks crystal clear to me...man Im delerious from not fishing all week. Been couped up in this dump since last Tuesday, I think. That is a lifetime for me, especially with the in-laws here. AAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

Nothing's gonna stop me from hitting the banks tomorrow. Providing there are any banks left.

Fishtopher when you gonna be there I was thinking of dropping a line myself tomorrow, got a new pole and I want to see how it bends :D

J
Jmiddlestadt
ArcticAmoeba said:
I thought the Striped shrimp were a different pecies than the run of the mill coo-nanner... I did not know they were also called "coon stripe" although it makes perfect sense. Hmm. Well if you see Striper Shrimp, don't get them. I have tried them on multiple occasions on the Kalama, and Lewis, to near no avail. Sand dogs work ok, but are the most inconsistent bait i have ever fished...Hot, or not. Cured coon bugs just seem to hold together well, and they just reek of the sea to boot. Good stuff. Anyone ever seen these weird little tiger shrimp, or something along those lines. I have heard that a lot of goofball Mid-west Steelheaders use this variety fresh, not cured, or salted. Never heard of, or even seen them before. I wonder.

I use the little pink salad shrimp for Kokanee up in Green Peter, i'd imagin the tiger shrimp may be the ones you buy in the meat dept. at your local grocery store. aka Tiger Prawns.....:think: I dunno, but they sure do smell fishy! Worth a shot to bring a few out to see how they do!;)

F
Fishtopher
Fishydog said:
Fishtopher when you gonna be there I was thinking of dropping a line myself tomorrow, got a new pole and I want to see how it bends :D

PM sent...

Hey, how do you guys get those full size pics up?

M
meluvtrout
Fishtopher said:
PM sent...

Hey, how do you guys get those full size pics up?

it's magic!:rolleyes:

or you can just open a free account at photobucket.com, upload your images over there and use the IMG tags that they provide for your photos to show full size pics in your posts...

O
osmosis
It was nice of all of you to stay off the river today and give the whole damn thing to just AA and I.

There were no boats. there were no bank fishermen. It was fantastic.
Everyone should keep staying home! There are no fish! the water is too high and muddy! It's just too cold outside!

F
fish_on!!!
first time

first time

Went out to riverside this mourning to check it out for the first time and the water was real crappy. High and muddy I even saw half a tree floating down the river.
was scoutn for spots(not the best time) and found notta:(. Followed the trail to alil after the cement pole thingy then the trail ended or at least I think. Hopefully next time I go the water will b lower and I find a good spot(s)! Didn't realize it was only 15mins away from my home:)
But I atleast got to test my new rod n reel:) o and with the coon shrimp do u stick em on ur hook like a sand shrimp through the bottum shell or is there a special way?those coons are tuff and its alil hard to thread the hook through the whole body. I got the cured coon stripe shrimp in the jar from joes. guides choice.

O
osmosis
Crappy water? The water was fine. you can catch fish with nearly any water color.
The wind is what was a bit of a pain, dodging trees in the sled is no problem.
I'm glad the water height and color is scaring people away.

There is a special way to rig the coon shrimp. you dont thread them unless you want to setup a coon/egg coctail. hook through the second plate down on the tail going up towards the head and bring the hook point out the "hood".
It's hard to type out, if you run into ArcticAmoeba or I on the water ask us how we do it and well show you.

F
fish_on!!!
Ok jus crappy for me because the water was too high to really scout for some good bank spots but I do think when the water is high and muddy and rising fish el be less likely to find or even want ur bait I read that they will travel closer to the bank or a different route and r mostly on the move while the water is high and rising.

So threading it just on the hook is not a good way for coon? It stayd on good not pretty though and the head fell off like the 2nd toss.

O and that tree was really like as thick as a Tel phone poll and like 20-30ft so b carefull would really cause some damage!

O
osmosis
I know exactly which tree you are talking about! we passed that tree in the riffle section below carver as we were heading upstream.

Most of the bank that is usually there you can't see right now haha. not a good time for scouting.

yes fish are blasting right now- and the water clarity is a couple inches at best, but we hooked 3 fish today, missed probably a dozen more. hard for me to believe they dont bite if you know where to put your gear.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
If you're threading the coon onto you line your going too far. your hook should be in the coon shrimp with your egg loop around it's tail.

F
fish_on!!!
just on the hook

just on the hook

No the shrimp stays only on the hook not even past the eye but I didn't snug the egg loop around it though.
And ya me to I jus wish I knew where to drift my stuff(and how to drift my stuff!!!;) )

A
ArcticAmoeba
Ah ha ha ha...Yes, the whole, "where the hell do I cast this rig, and how the hell do I drift it, properly?.." It is a learned skill, the drift. But it does not take long to at least be decent at it. But just remember, forearm length leader, 2-3, #5, or #7 split shot, and cast up and on the far side of cover,(rocks, trees, stumps, whatever.) And try to maintain "contact" with your presentation, by way of reeling up the slack, or mending, or a combonation of the two. The fish are mosey'n through just about every decent riffle, and are easy to get to strike, not so easy to get them stuck, and to the net. But fightin 'em is still fun! When you get more adept in the world of reading water, it makes picking a good spot a bit easier. It is one of those unexplainable feelings, and looks that can make a hot spot out of a normally pretty terrible one. This high, blown down river is fun to target fish in.. We hook them where we were standing a week ago! And the crowds are gone. Eh, the Clack doesn't even fish above 13.5 anyways... Yup.;)

F
Fishtopher
I hit it today fer awhile. didn't have to long and forgot the rain coat at home, so it made for a short day. One question fer yall, did you happen to grab a water temp reading while scootin' around? Or know of a site I can check it at?

O
osmosis
Sorry never turned on the depth finder. probably in the 40's still.

M
meluvtrout
Speaking of the trees, on Sunday, I saw this poor 10'-12' part of a tree at the same spot going up river, where as everything else was going down. Finally realized that it was caught in between 2 currents and making loops up and down the river. It was quite a hypnotizing :rolleyes: sight to watch.

M
meluvtrout
Oh, and they sell coon shrimps at Joe's $5.99 a jar. They've got pink or purple dyed ones. Since Osmosis is a 9 to 5 kindda guy, I don't think I'll be able to make it to BC this week. Which color are guys using?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Pink, Purple, and Red are all workin pretty well. Stll have yet to get into enough fish to really see which one is going to shine, but the Pinks have been this summer, and are well on their way now, at becoming my favorite at least. But remember, not everyone fishes the same color well. Osmosis and I seem to fish reds, and pinks a lot better than say, blues, purples, and greens. So perhaps getting two cans and doin some field testing is in order.

F
FishSchooler
meluvtrout said:
Oh, and they sell coon shrimps at Joe's $5.99 a jar. They've got pink or purple dyed ones. Since Osmosis is a 9 to 5 kindda guy, I don't think I'll be able to make it to BC this week. Which color are guys using?

Those shrimps and prawns are so expensive! Theres like 6-10 prawns or shrimps in a 6 buck jar, and we can buy 5 lbs of regular eating shrimparoos for 20 bucks. Can't you use regular store bought shrimps if you cure them?

O
osmosis
meluvtrout - Bill is who owns and runs B.C. angling post, not me :).
and 9-5, more like 11:30-2:00, he's hardly there anymore it seems.

you get around 100 coon shrimp (1lb) for $10 at B.c. sounds like joes is pretty overpriced.

You can cure your own shrimp or just use them raw fishschooler.

M
meluvtrout
osmosis said:
meluvtrout - Bill is who owns and runs B.C. angling post, not me :).
and 9-5, more like 11:30-2:00, he's hardly there anymore it seems.

you get around 100 coon shrimp (1lb) for $10 at B.c. sounds like joes is pretty overpriced.

You can cure your own shrimp or just use them raw fishschooler.

My bad! So those coon shrimps for $10/lb don't come cured, do they? If they're cured then it's a pretty good deal...