Clackamas river steelhead

C
ChezJfrey
jayreedy said:
Any luck around Oregon city area now? Or have they pretty much all moved on up river by now

I would think no. Summers would be well past that point and still early for Winters.

J
jayreedy
any guess when winters might be around oregon city area?

J
jayreedy
Like beginning of December maybe? Fishcounts are pretty low still, really low

R
rightstar
Hey, I'm new to steelhead fishing and have been out a few times so far this year and I haven't caught or seen any fish. I was hoping that someone might have some advice for me because I have a long weekend coming up and I would like to catch at least one fish. I've been using pink worms, yarn balls, different spinners and lures, jigs and eggs. I have been fishing anywhere from the mouth of Clack to McIver maybe I was in the wrong places but just looking for any help or info to be more successful. thanks

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
A good thing to do on the river is ask other angler, and fish water you see people catching fish in.

Reactions: rightstar
N
nw5785
Me and my buddy were up on the Clackamas yesterday and he caught one at carver driftin shrimp. It was a native so he threw it back before that we were up at McIver floating jigs and no luck and everyone there said its not been very good.

R
rightstar
Thanks for your response I'll put in my time this weekend I've got six days to go out

N
nw5785
I'll prob see ya out there! We both had quite a few bites at Carver he was only able to bring in the one though. But does look promising I suppose? lol

Reactions: rightstar
R
rightstar
ok cool I'll prob be down lower near high rocks unless i get a better idea for somewhere to go I'm bank fishing

O
OnTheDrop
rightstar said:
ok cool I'll prob be down lower near high rocks unless i get a better idea for somewhere to go I'm bank fishing

I've been fishing the Clackamas for steelhead since I was 10, and I'm now 21. I'd like to say I have a bit of knowledge on this river. We got our first fish on this system a couple weeks ago and although sometimes its red hot in December this year hasn't been. With Eagle Creek basicly eliminating there run there is 1000+ fish you can't catch now which usually attributed to the action on the Clack right now....Stick it out these next few weeks as more fish will begin to push in for their destiny up at Dog Creek.. These fish begin showing now but peak in February and into March...

Fishing down as low such as High Rocks is tough when not many fish are moving through and the ones that are, are trickling by you. I would start at Carver-Barton then McIver or vise versa. All methods work on this river it's just about presentation....

I feel I could write a book on this river as it's been my home river since I was a child....

Tight Lines. Hope this helps you out a little...Don't have the time right now to get too into detail. :cool:

Last edited:
S
Silvers&Steelies
I've been on a dry spell on the Clackamas going on 4 weeks now. Caught one earlier before Christmas. I saw a guy at riverside park cleaning a steelhead by the boat ramp and was a bank fisherman. I didn't get a chance to talk to him so not sure where he was or what he caught it on. Last week I saw 2 role and was actually walking my dogs yesterday at riverside and saw one sitting in the current. Always happens when you don't bring your gear. I've tried a few spots all the way up to McIver but only seem a few in the last few weeks. There are fish around just gotta keep trying.

R
rightstar
Thanks Steelmon and Silvers I'm going out Sat. so Ill see what happens I really appreciate all the info I get on here. Thanks again